Author Topic: There are rich pirates in D'Hara  (Read 39960 times)

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
There are rich pirates in D'Hara
« Topic Start: September 06, 2012, 07:20:38 PM »
Travel Report   (1 hour, 5 minutes ago)
During your travels, you are suddenly attacked by pirates.
You draw your sword, but you are outnumbered and stand little chance. The pirates take 1514 gold coins and race away in their boat.

Very rich.

Anecdote aside, I thought robbers and pirates were disabled for priests? It's not like we can hire a unit to protect ourselves. In any case, the probability must be pretty low because I've travelled all over the place for years and this is the first time this has happened to me.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Alpha

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: There are rich pirates in D'Hara
« Reply #1: September 06, 2012, 07:25:45 PM »
Very rich.

Anecdote aside, I thought robbers and pirates were disabled for priests? It's not like we can hire a unit to protect ourselves. In any case, the probability must be pretty low because I've travelled all over the place for years and this is the first time this has happened to me.

I wish priests could hire guards to prevent getting beaten up by evil faiths and  to thwart any robbers.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: September 06, 2012, 07:38:24 PM »
Very rich.

Same here; I've never had anything like this happen as a priest, and I regularly carry large sums of gold.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: September 06, 2012, 07:44:09 PM »
I don't remember when that started, but I, for one, am very glad that it did. The loophole of priests being able to carry unlimited gold without risk always seemed too metagame-ish.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: September 06, 2012, 08:03:43 PM »
Wow, I didn't even know this game had pirates.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: September 06, 2012, 08:58:21 PM »
pirates, bandits... same thing.
firefox

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: September 06, 2012, 09:23:03 PM »
I don't remember when that started, but I, for one, am very glad that it did. The loophole of priests being able to carry unlimited gold without risk always seemed too metagame-ish.

But there's no way for priests to decrease their risk.

If they're going to have a chance of robbery, they should have a means of defense– like being able to "hire guards." Some kind of paraphernalia that isn't a unit necessarily?
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: September 06, 2012, 09:28:22 PM »
But there's no way for priests to decrease their risk.

Sure there is. Don't carry massive amounts of gold.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: September 06, 2012, 09:45:03 PM »
Sure there is. Don't carry massive amounts of gold.

But being able to be an effective courier is one of the major perks (and historically accurate bits) of being a priest.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: September 06, 2012, 10:50:03 PM »
While true, it is something that I, personally, always considered a loophole. It should not be possible to courier huge amounts of gold around without risk.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: September 07, 2012, 12:05:17 AM »
But being able to be an effective courier is one of the major perks (and historically accurate bits) of being a priest.

Did you ever think that though the players treated it as a perk, it was never meant to function that way?
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: September 07, 2012, 12:48:37 AM »
Did you ever think that though the players treated it as a perk, it was never meant to function that way?

No, because it's what actual Medieval priests did as well. Also, priests used to be able to get robbed, then it was changed so they wouldn't get robbed (because they were always getting robbed). I never knew it had been changed back.

While true, it is something that I, personally, always considered a loophole. It should not be possible to courier huge amounts of gold around without risk.

So priests should be able to do something to manage the risk; simply reducing the usefulness of the class is not a fix.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: September 07, 2012, 12:50:58 AM »
Manage the risk by carrying less gold. Or, send someone who can hire guards.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: September 07, 2012, 01:08:49 AM »
No, because it's what actual Medieval priests did as well. Also, priests used to be able to get robbed, then it was changed so they wouldn't get robbed (because they were always getting robbed). I never knew it had been changed back.

So priests should be able to do something to manage the risk; simply reducing the usefulness of the class is not a fix.

I'm sorry. Did a new rule get instituted that as long as something is historically accurate the game must follow it? Read the priest description carefully. Tom spells out they are meant to be a RP class. They are not really designed to be a "useful" class.

Was the change announced though? Priest Couriers are common enough that such a change really should have been announced.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 01:15:47 AM by De-Legro »
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: September 07, 2012, 01:28:01 AM »
I'm sorry. Did a new rule get instituted that as long as something is historically accurate the game must follow it? Read the priest description carefully. Tom spells out they are meant to be a RP class. They are not really designed to be a "useful" class.
I get your point but on the priest side it isn't that great that they will randomly lose their money and have nothing to defend themselves with. I think a rather expensive paraphernalia be made for them.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton