Author Topic: Breach of SMA and IC/OOC seperation  (Read 10709 times)

BattleMaster Server

Breach of SMA and IC/OOC seperation
« Topic Start: September 08, 2012, 07:56:05 PM »
Summary:Breach of SMA and IC/OOC seperation
Violation:Fair play
World:Dwilight
Complainer:John Barner
About:Stuart McKenzie

Full Complaint Text:
My advy was banned from Terran on Dwilight. Normally, a banned character isn't a big deal, however I think in this case it violates both SMA and IC/OOC separation.

The advy was banned because he was "related" to my noble in another realm. However, the judge has no possible way to know that. The advy hasn't talked to anyone in the months he's been alive, and neither has my noble had any contact with anyone from Terran. In fact, my noble has never even mentioned being related to anyone else on the island. There is absolutely no way the judge could possibly know that, out of the hundreds of thousands of commoners running around, that mine was "related" to a noble from any enemy realm. Nor would my characters admit to such. Nor do I role-play them as being related. I don't intend for them ever to be "family", as one is a noble and the other isn't. The very idea, on Dwilight, that a noble could be related to a commoner is ridiculous.

The only way for the judge to know they are from the same family, or in other words played by one person, is by looking at my player profile. I feel this violates both SMA, for positing that commoners and nobles are related, and IC/OOC separation for using a player profile to justify the ban.

That is all.

Collingwood

• Peasant
    • View Profile
Re: Breach of SMA and IC/OOC seperation
« Reply #1: September 08, 2012, 08:04:35 PM »
Fair play and my bad.

I hadn't really thought of this element, though it could be argued that we are at war with Aurvandil and would have some knowledge of their knights, and the adventurer in question was tortured which could have led to the information being imparted.

Nerukou

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: September 08, 2012, 08:16:38 PM »
Perhaps it could have been tortured out of him, had they been related.

However, I have intended to role-play that character as wholly unrelated to anyone else, once he got good enough at being an advy to warrant approaching nobles for trades. Since I can't make another account, but I still want to experience the commoner game-play, I have no choice but for him to show up as a member of my family. I also couldn't choose the realm he was spawned in, and I happened to roll Terran.

I've received your apology in the game, and I accept it. However, I think this is still something that needs to be discussed, as anyone who, like me, spawns a character by random in the territory of an enemy of their nobles characters could face this same situation. Is this something that needs to be prevented? Can we place a warning somewhere, or allow people to hide their advies?

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: September 08, 2012, 08:30:38 PM »
the adventurer in question was tortured which could have led to the information being imparted.
Well, if he was tortured, you got a torture report out of it. Was there anything in the torture report to indicate a relationship? If not, then this assertion is without merit.

However, I have intended to role-play that character as wholly unrelated to anyone else, once he got good enough at being an advy to warrant approaching nobles for trades.
Adventurers are related. How anyone could possibly know about it is a completely separate question.

The very idea, on Dwilight, that a noble could be related to a commoner is ridiculous.
... because bastard-born children simply don't exist, right? I mean, that would never happen.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Nerukou

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: September 08, 2012, 08:41:56 PM »
Bastard-born children were fairly common.

But they aren't nobles. And within the scope of this game, it doesn't matter if, in real life, bastards sometimes inherited. Within the scope of SMA, it's generally accepted that the idea of base-born ascending to nobility is ridiculous. If you dispute this, I encourage you to ask, IC, in any realm in Dwilight if a commoner can become a noble.

I digress. This isn't directly related to the topic.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: September 08, 2012, 08:42:54 PM »
But they aren't nobles.
At what point did I say they were?
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Fury

« Reply #6: September 08, 2012, 08:44:01 PM »
I've received your apology in the game, and I accept it. However, I think this is still something that needs to be discussed, as anyone who, like me, spawns a character by random in the territory of an enemy of their nobles characters could face this same situation. Is this something that needs to be prevented? Can we place a warning somewhere, or allow people to hide their advies?

If you have accepted his apology then the question now is if you still wish to pursue this in this court, that is for a verdict (punishment/exoneration) to be made on this issue or can it be moved to the Q&A section? Bearing in mind that the purpose of this court is to handle player disputes and considering that the dispute has been presumably handled with the acceptance of the apology.

Nerukou

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: September 08, 2012, 08:50:08 PM »
I would ask that it be moved to the appropriate forum. I no longer wish for any action to be taken against Collingwood.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: September 09, 2012, 05:06:48 AM »
Bastard-born children were fairly common.

But they aren't nobles. And within the scope of this game, it doesn't matter if, in real life, bastards sometimes inherited. Within the scope of SMA, it's generally accepted that the idea of base-born ascending to nobility is ridiculous. If you dispute this, I encourage you to ask, IC, in any realm in Dwilight if a commoner can become a noble.

I digress. This isn't directly related to the topic.
Then they are foolish because it definenently happens on Dwilight. Game mechanics trump roleplay and game mechanics say its possible.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: September 09, 2012, 05:20:22 AM »
Then they are foolish because it definenently happens on Dwilight. Game mechanics trump roleplay and game mechanics say its possible.

No. Commoners never, ever become nobles in BattleMaster.

Adventurers have their inherent nobility recognized.

There is a huge difference.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: September 09, 2012, 05:26:37 AM »
No. Commoners never, ever become nobles in BattleMaster.

Adventurers have their inherent nobility recognized.

There is a huge difference.
Well if you assume I was merely talking about his first 3 sentences I am still right though I wasn't just talking about his first 3 sentences, so thank you for correcting my mistake.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 07:10:29 AM by Penchant »
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: September 09, 2012, 05:36:58 AM »
I am still right though I wasn't

What?

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: September 09, 2012, 07:11:01 AM »
― G.K. Chesterton

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: September 09, 2012, 07:11:25 PM »
All the Judge needs to do is say "I'm banning you cause you're a filthy peasant and I don't like your face."

Problem solved.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Collingwood

• Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: September 09, 2012, 08:38:12 PM »
All the Judge needs to do is say "I'm banning you cause you're a filthy peasant and I don't like your face."

Problem solved.

Sound advice duly noted lol