Author Topic: Winter comes again!  (Read 16696 times)

Woelfy

• Mighty Duke
  • I'm baaaaack
    • View Profile
Winter comes again!
« Topic Start: September 11, 2012, 08:09:48 AM »
Everyone's favourite season is coming up again! Any plans for the several weeks of lull? I know I'm going to horde some food in my region. I expect wars will slow, players will bicker furiously in Luria, and several key regions outside of Solaria will starve.

Thoughts?

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
Re: Winter comes again!
« Reply #1: September 11, 2012, 11:17:52 AM »
I don't understand the lull. Isn't this the perfect time to really hurt your enemies?

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: September 11, 2012, 12:24:18 PM »
In Terran we are stockpiling cookies and hot cocoa to make it through.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: September 11, 2012, 01:02:43 PM »
I don't understand the lull. Isn't this the perfect time to really hurt your enemies?

It might be, if you could actually reach them before your pay ran out ;D
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #4: September 11, 2012, 01:36:48 PM »
It might be, if you could actually reach them before your pay ran out ;D

Kill your neighbors, then. :-)

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: September 11, 2012, 01:59:58 PM »
Kill your neighbors, then. :-)

Part of the issue is that the travel time are lenghtened during winter time. Realms that are your neighbors during summer become distant faraway lands during winter. Conversely, any realm that could be considered a neighbor during winter would be uncomfortably close during summer; therefore most likely you have already dealt with it, either by subduing it or by signing a strong alliance.

The winters in BM are long, but not long enough that anyone would change their general foreign policy based on them.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: September 11, 2012, 05:24:07 PM »

Not if you have food problems of your own. By the time your army gets back, half your realm might be gone... The best way to use winter to hurt your enemies is to burn all their food in the summer/fall, then watch them implode during the winter while you keep your own regions in line.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: September 11, 2012, 05:53:37 PM »
Not if you have food problems of your own. By the time your army gets back, half your realm might be gone... The best way to use winter to hurt your enemies is to burn all their food in the summer/fall, then watch them implode during the winter while you keep your own regions in line.

This is exactly correct.

Torch and burn all through the Autumn, while shielding your own supplies.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Woelfy

• Mighty Duke
  • I'm baaaaack
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: September 11, 2012, 07:22:12 PM »

On one hand, I can see how it might be ideal to march abroad during winter but at the same time, with the new provisions requirement, field stays have shortened considerably. I was used to staying in the field for a month at a time, now I'm lucky to get a week or two.

At the same time, I'll use RL logic regarding winter: who wants to march in snow, or fight in the freezing wind? Winter wars make people absolutely miserable on each side. Invasions of western Russia by any number of militaries springs to mind...

BardicNerd

• Noble Lord
  • Evans Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: September 11, 2012, 07:44:05 PM »
On one hand, I can see how it might be ideal to march abroad during winter but at the same time, with the new provisions requirement, field stays have shortened considerably. I was used to staying in the field for a month at a time, now I'm lucky to get a week or two.
My experience is that now you can stay longer . . . you only need provisions in circumstances where you would in the past have simply starved, so provisions can only help, not hurt.  Also as part of the same code, starvation sets in gradually now, giving you a bit of a buffer . . . and a way to game things if you move quickly between regions that are starving and aren't, since it seems to just get reset if you spend a single day not starving.

At the same time, I'll use RL logic regarding winter: who wants to march in snow, or fight in the freezing wind? Winter wars make people absolutely miserable on each side. Invasions of western Russia by any number of militaries springs to mind...
This is certainly true -- winter has historically caused lulls in fighting, so it's somewhat expected that it would in BM as well.

egamma

« Reply #10: September 11, 2012, 08:25:51 PM »
Send large, cheap units into your enemies lands, so that they eat the food; when provisions start being used, move to another region. Like a swarm of locusts!

mikm

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: September 11, 2012, 10:00:05 PM »
In Asylion reclaiming lands is so rediculasly slow. Lands that were lost to starvation keep revolting over and over again. Status is horible. Sympathy takeovers are not keeping the regions under control.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 10:01:56 PM by mikm »

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: September 11, 2012, 10:06:57 PM »
Any damage you can do to food stocks is both easier and more effective in autumn than in winter.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: September 11, 2012, 11:03:39 PM »
In Asylion reclaiming lands is so rediculasly slow. Lands that were lost to starvation keep revolting over and over again. Status is horible. Sympathy takeovers are not keeping the regions under control.

If the regions keep revolting repeatedly, then you're not taking enough time to stabilize them. It's not easy, but you should be able to hold onto them after no more than two TOs. Sometimes you'll lose it the first time no matter what because of horrible starvation, but as long as you got food to it before it went, you can then come back and retake it after the starvation goes away and have a much better chance of holding onto it.

Mind you, you still need to have sufficient police units and priest/courtier/diplomats working on the place to bring the stats up, but it can be done.

ChrisVCB

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: September 11, 2012, 11:10:16 PM »
What, nobody? Seriously, no-one?

Cmon guys... no? Nobody is gonna say it?

Ok then, guess i'll do it myself.

...Winter is co.... *gets taken out by a random lightning bolt*