Author Topic: Donation  (Read 6989 times)

Zakilevo

Donation
« Topic Start: April 01, 2011, 01:22:43 AM »
So I am trying to donate to BM because it is awesome.

But I have no idea how to use paypal.

I just made an account but I am stuck on the part about entering my card number.

Can I use my debit or no? This thing is keep telling me to use a credit card which I do not own.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Re: Donation
« Reply #1: April 01, 2011, 01:30:17 AM »
Is it a visa or mastercard debit card? I'm not sure but I think those should be fine.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Zakilevo

« Reply #2: April 01, 2011, 01:41:03 AM »
crap. I don't have any of those. I use RBC lol

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: April 01, 2011, 01:49:51 AM »
You would need to link the actual bank account to paypal in that case I think.

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #4: April 01, 2011, 03:35:27 AM »
Your bank representative would probably be glad to help you open a paypal account with your debit, but you'll probably have to go to a branch and book an appointment.
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: April 01, 2011, 08:10:19 AM »
... i thought it's basically not a good idea to use debit cards for anything.
firefox

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: April 01, 2011, 10:08:05 AM »
Why not? I've used mine for years and never had any issues. And it works fine with Paypal.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: April 01, 2011, 11:56:52 AM »
Debit cards are fine, after all they only let you spend your own money. Credit cards can be a trap, but they are also very useful. It really comes down to planning and restraint. For example my credit card has a 55 day interest free period, and has some nifty rewards. By purchasing everything on the card every month and then paying it out before any interest accumulates, I get a nice $150 gift voucher every month.

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #8: April 01, 2011, 12:00:53 PM »
It's harder to pile up debt on a debit card, since it has a limit to your spending, that being your (usually) checking account balance. But some banks have policies regarding your spending and inactivity, so that should be kept in mind. I like using debit more than credit though, and for now and into the near future, I absolutely refuse to own a credit card.

Zakilevo

« Reply #9: April 01, 2011, 09:40:23 PM »
I am too afraid I might make a mistake and not pay back if I use a credit card. I have a tendency of forgetting small things :(
Is it possible to just send money directly to Tom's account instead of going through that page you get from clicking donation?
I can just send some money as a gift :)

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: April 01, 2011, 09:58:42 PM »
There is a way to do a direct bank transfer, I believe. Check up on the donations page for more info.

wraith

• Knight
  • Da Hadez Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: April 01, 2011, 10:43:32 PM »
I think that the idea that debit cards are bad stems from the fact there is no payment protection with them like there is with credit cards where the CC company is liable for faulty goods etc (though last I heard they wanted to opt out of this for online purchases).

There is no doubt that if you don't clear your CC debt every month it's about the worst way to borrow money.
"There are 11 kinds of people in the world; those who do not understand binary, those who think they understand binary and those who understand endianness."

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: April 02, 2011, 02:00:54 AM »
Your debit cards suck then. Ours are able to have all the same protections granted to a credit card.

Zakilevo

« Reply #13: April 02, 2011, 03:20:48 AM »
wth? I thought debit cards are always protected. I guess some banks don't offer that much.

wraith

• Knight
  • Da Hadez Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: April 02, 2011, 03:24:06 AM »
I could be wrong.. I've never paid too much attention to any form of finance other than 'cash X bonds'.
"There are 11 kinds of people in the world; those who do not understand binary, those who think they understand binary and those who understand endianness."