Author Topic: Speed up region recovery rate  (Read 15002 times)

Zakilevo

Speed up region recovery rate
« Topic Start: September 14, 2012, 01:46:57 AM »
Title: Speed up region recovery rate

Summary: At the moment, it takes forever for depopulated regions to recover quickly unless they are surrounded by fully populated regions. This is a big let down for new realms which were created from the regions of defeated realms. These new depopulated realms need a year of continuous courtier works to recover enough to fight a war. To make the game live up to its name, the speed of population recovery should be increased to allow regions to recover more quickly.

Details:

Make depopulated regions recover more quickly according to the followings:

(up to 50%) recovers 0.5~1% of its maximum population per day. Once the region reaches 50%, the current system can take over from there.

P.S Just throwing random numbers. But what I am actually proposing is let regions recover within 6 months.

Benefits: Allows regions that are completely depopulated to recover quickly, speeding up the game play.

Possible Exploits: Nothing I can think of... Maybe more wars?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 03:55:22 AM by Zakilevo »

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Speed up region recovery rate
« Reply #1: September 14, 2012, 01:51:31 AM »
This was shot down before. If recovery is too easy, then being beat down is without consequence, making wars pointless.

Furthermore, attacking realms can manage the damage they do. If they decide to turn a realm rogue before annexing it, then they should live with the consequences of their decision. Nothing's forcing them to devastate what they wish to colonize.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: September 14, 2012, 03:41:49 AM »
Yeah, what he said. ^^
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

D`Este

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: September 14, 2012, 07:47:39 PM »
The downside though of the current policy is that it encourages peace between war as realm have a long recovery period and before realms go to war they make damn sure they will win. Yes, there should be consequences, but nobody enjoys rebuilding for a long time. Well, perhaps the few nobles who use those periods to gain more influence, but certainly not the newer knights.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: September 14, 2012, 07:58:55 PM »
I think this is a problem mostly in the entirely settled islands like EC. There, if your city is at half production and your potential targets have their regions at full production, then it makes a lot of sense to wait, because your capabilities will increase while your targets capabilities are already maxed out.

On the other hand, in places like Beluaterra currently or Dwilight, it makes little sense two wait. Sure, maybe in six months you will be twice as strong as you are now, but so will your enemy!

I think the solution is simple: more war, and more destruction. When everyone has a large proportion of devastated regions, then everyone is equal, and there is no reason to avoid war, thus perpetuating the destruction cycle.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Zakilevo

« Reply #5: September 14, 2012, 09:12:22 PM »
This so called 'consequences' is too severe at the moment. New people joining the game should at least get an idea of what realm they are joining. We do not want new people to end up in a realm which will not be having any kind of war for a year.

Some people in Perdan are already saying the name 'battlemaster' is misleading and I partially agree with that since we have so many stuff slowing down realms from fighting more often. Too many realms are thinking twice before they start a war. Everyone is trying to make sure they can win a war because they know if they lose they are out for a year.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: September 14, 2012, 09:15:46 PM »
Some people in Perdan are already saying the name 'battlemaster' is misleading and I partially agree with that since we have so many stuff slowing down realms from fighting more often. Too many realms are thinking twice before they start a war. Everyone is trying to make sure they can win a war because they know if they lose they are out for a year.

And yet, war is happening in plenty of other places. The EC has often had problems with alliance-based deadlock causing long peace. That is, in fact, what Too Much Peace was put in to combat. Now that it has been removed, surprise surprise, realms are more reluctant to go to war, and the average player suffers for it.

If regions bounce back too easily, it removes a major element of strategy from the game.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

LilWolf

• Noble Lord
  • The Vasata Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: September 14, 2012, 09:19:01 PM »
I think the solution is simple: more war, and more destruction. When everyone has a large proportion of devastated regions, then everyone is equal, and there is no reason to avoid war, thus perpetuating the destruction cycle.

I think you'll find that doesn't work and is certainly not fun game-play. When no one makes gold, there are no wars.

To be honest the game has not been the same since peasant numbers started affecting production. It has done nothing but add months of wait for regions to recover and that has done nothing but lead to less wars due to fears of the destruction it causes.
Join us on IRC #battlemaster@QuakeNet
Read about the fantasy stories I'm writing.

Zakilevo

« Reply #8: September 14, 2012, 09:24:23 PM »
And yet, war is happening in plenty of other places. The EC has often had problems with alliance-based deadlock causing long peace. That is, in fact, what Too Much Peace was put in to combat. Now that it has been removed, surprise surprise, realms are more reluctant to go to war, and the average player suffers for it.

If regions bounce back too easily, it removes a major element of strategy from the game.

I am not saying regions should recover in a day or a week. They should at least recover in half a year. Cities take a year to recover. Look at Ibladesh. I wouldn't be surprised if that city takes two years. I am not against having some consequences of losing a war. Why not lower the morale and production to maybe 75% for 3 or 6 months instead of crippling a realm for a year?

What I am trying to say is the current policy is punishing losers too severely. Also, it is slowing down new realms from becoming big enough to fight a war.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: September 14, 2012, 10:01:47 PM »
There are plenty of people Perdan could fight, and plenty of reasons to do so. The slow recovery speed isn't what's stopping them.

Zakilevo

« Reply #10: September 14, 2012, 10:23:42 PM »
There are plenty of people Perdan could fight, and plenty of reasons to do so. The slow recovery speed isn't what's stopping them.

For Nivemus, yes. It is one of the reasons why they are not going into war. Dunnera will most likely be stay away from fighting anything until next July until Dunnera take Krimml and wait for the city to recover.

Also, BT will be very slow for until realms recover too.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: September 14, 2012, 10:53:47 PM »
BT almost had a Thalmarkin/Melhed war. Probably would have, too, if Sint and OG hadn't stepped in to help Thalmarkin.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: September 14, 2012, 11:03:40 PM »
BT almost had a Thalmarkin/Melhed war. Probably would have, too, if Sint and OG hadn't stepped in to help Thalmarkin.

There may be some war in the south, too, though Riombara's still got plenty to do for now with taking regions and preparing for colonies...
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

LilWolf

• Noble Lord
  • The Vasata Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: September 14, 2012, 11:22:27 PM »

One should note that Melhdes regions have barely been scratched while many of Thalmarkins are decimated. We(Thalmarkin) pretty much did all we could to avoid the war. Had our regions not been in a condition that would mean months of recovery, we might very well indeed have a war going now.
Join us on IRC #battlemaster@QuakeNet
Read about the fantasy stories I'm writing.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: September 14, 2012, 11:38:59 PM »

There have been PLENTY of wars since that mechanic was removed. Indeed, many places saw a rise.

If some !@#$%^& concentrated in one of the many continents don't care for fun, it shouldn't be a reason to go screw everyone else who plays the game. TMP caused a lot more harm than it did good, I'm quite glad it's gone.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron