Author Topic: New colonies  (Read 22500 times)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Re: New colonies
« Reply #15: September 18, 2012, 05:54:42 PM »
Sint is being swamped with monster and undead groups coming out of the rogues. We're trying to capture them as fast as we can to stop the spawn, but it is a slow process. It's going to be a while before a colony can be started. Sint is also the only one who can do it, too, since there is no CTO implemented right now. Sint will have to TO over to the Heen city, then secede the new realm. With four cities missing from that section of the map, it's going to be a lot of empty land controlled by the new realm in Heen. Unless Nothoi spawns Reeds as a new realm, which I don't think is supposed to happen.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 06:02:36 PM by Indirik »
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: September 18, 2012, 05:58:38 PM »
You should just leave it all to the rogues!

Sypher

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: September 19, 2012, 04:17:39 AM »
Reeds will probably be the new capital of Nothoi once they return Dyomoque to us (Fronen)...

Tan dSerrai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: September 19, 2012, 11:29:05 AM »
Underpopulation:
I am not sure that population growth - and peasant movements - are working as intended.

In Riombara we took Rii (previously being a blighted region) around 2 months ago. It had around 1000-1100 pop. Since that time we had 1-2 rogue units pop up there, always being eliminated fast. The region has an extremely low taxrate, has been at perfect stats for the whole time, has a well populated region (7100 out of 9200), highly taxed next to it (Ardmore). Rii now has a population of 1400. If this is the best growth we can look at then Rii will be repopulated in around 2 RL years. Under perfect conditions. For the regions farther away from our well populated isles conditions are similar (very, very little pop growth), it will be even longer. Creating a colony in Jidington would be possible earliest in 1 RL year.

I will look into it more closely from now on, recording pop levels of a few regions to get exact numbers.

Should I put this on the bugtracker or is this working as intended?

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: September 19, 2012, 11:40:00 AM »
The growth depends on the underlying population, so even without taking into account migration, you should look at an exponential compounded growth.

If the region grows by 40% every two months, within 10 months it will be at full pop. And it does not need to be at full pop to be productive. Droxago with 2100 pop already produces > 50 gold/week, closer to 80 gold if you count food production, which is plenty enough for one noble. As the lands grows, there will be room for more knights, but the land is already stable.

And anyway, we should not create a colony in Jidington. But that is another debate, I guess....  ;)
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: September 19, 2012, 01:49:53 PM »
Underpopulation:
I am not sure that population growth - and peasant movements - are working as intended.

In Riombara we took Rii (previously being a blighted region) around 2 months ago. It had around 1000-1100 pop. Since that time we had 1-2 rogue units pop up there, always being eliminated fast. The region has an extremely low taxrate, has been at perfect stats for the whole time, has a well populated region (7100 out of 9200), highly taxed next to it (Ardmore). Rii now has a population of 1400. If this is the best growth we can look at then Rii will be repopulated in around 2 RL years. Under perfect conditions. For the regions farther away from our well populated isles conditions are similar (very, very little pop growth), it will be even longer. Creating a colony in Jidington would be possible earliest in 1 RL year.

I will look into it more closely from now on, recording pop levels of a few regions to get exact numbers.

Should I put this on the bugtracker or is this working as intended?

Pfffft, you should have seen what it was like on Dwilight in the early days before the migration code existed. Trust me, these numbers are totally normal, and yes it really did take a year or more for some regions to become productive. Ardmore appears to not be at it's maximum population, so it won't generate any immigrants until it is. Once it hits max, it should start sending immigrants to both Grehk and Rii.

Edit: I should note that I'm actually not positive about how the immigration mechanic works. It may not require a region to be at maximum population. Just remember that however it works, Rii will also be competing with Grehk for Ardmore's immigrants.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 02:09:50 PM by Geronus »

Tan dSerrai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: September 19, 2012, 05:07:51 PM »
I am reasonably sure that a region does not need to be at maximum to send migrants to a neighbouring region. Difference in taxes and happiness were the main factors as far as I remember....oh, and I happen to had a char on Dwilight...he brought a rural (Maeotis) from around 200 peasants to full population...grin.

I am not troubled if repopulating a region takes 8 months. A year would be a bit much for gameplay reasons. Two years would be far too long. Note that quite a few regions on Beluaterra have less than 500 peasants...and is this is 'only' the effect of the blight. It might bring more dynamic to the island if pop growth would be somewhat higher. Or if 1000-1500 peasants 'come out of hiding' once a formerly blighted region has been under control, safe and happy for 1-2 months. As it is I think that significant areas will take forever to grow back to 2000 peasants. Combine that with the fact that it is impossible to recruit from regions that are below 3/4 population (is that still the case?) and you are looking at 'no colonies' for along, long time.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: September 19, 2012, 11:06:29 PM »
It's like 75-80% of max population is needed to start emigration and I am pretty sure the recruitment that Tan said is no longer true.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Lorgan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: September 23, 2012, 11:12:20 PM »
The Draconic Union is in fact the Northern Alliance. It's a guild that was created to allow for good communication between Sint, Nothoi, OG and Thalmarkin for the war against Fronen, later the guild was adapted to be used for invasion-communication, simply because it was an existing, relatively wide-spread guild in those 4 realms.

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
« Reply #24: September 24, 2012, 12:22:52 AM »
We should refer to it as the Draconic Union more often.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #25: October 25, 2012, 05:38:52 PM »
SOoo.... any colonies forming?
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #26: October 25, 2012, 09:02:11 PM »
Take a look yourself:

http://battlemaster.org/dynamicmap3.php?ShowWorld=4

Nope, no new realms in sight. :-)

Lorgan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #27: October 25, 2012, 09:16:22 PM »
One will be founded in the Heen-desert.
And probably one or two in the South too depending on how things evolve there (including secessions). :)

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #28: October 25, 2012, 09:57:44 PM »
Take a look yourself:

http://battlemaster.org/dynamicmap3.php?ShowWorld=4

Nope, no new realms in sight. :-)

I saw that; I was wondering if any world form soon.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #29: October 26, 2012, 05:11:45 AM »
I saw that; I was wondering if any world form soon.

Populations aren't anywhere near recovered enough yet (mainly causing problems because there aren't any blasted smithies you can use because they collapse too quickly), but once Riombara is back on its feet more, expect to see some.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"