Author Topic: Registration jump/record  (Read 7647 times)

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Registration jump/record
« Topic Start: September 19, 2012, 07:04:29 AM »
This month is officially the record for most registrations on the forum with a total of 187 and counting. Last month was higher than usual with 122 but july only had 44 registrations and that was higher than June so what do you think is causing so much more registrations in the last two months? Interestingly we have not had a net amount of players higher than a month ago so it seems like it isn't just a rise in more people playing BM.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
Re: Registration jump/record
« Reply #1: September 19, 2012, 07:33:06 AM »
A lot of update messages about new features/changes to the game. A specific message from Tom about the community and improving it, recruiting more people, plus a notification that a poll was being run on the forum to vote for new features.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Konrad

• BM Dev Team
  • Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: September 20, 2012, 09:45:48 AM »
Old player, just signed up for the game again as well.

Zakilevo

« Reply #3: September 20, 2012, 09:48:33 AM »
Old player, just signed up for the game again as well.

Good to see experienced players coming back :)

Miriam Ics

• Testers
  • Noble Lord
  • Myrnia (EC) Mattias Cat (BT) Luarin Ariana (DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: October 01, 2012, 02:24:02 AM »
I think many things need to change if we want more players...
"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces."

Zakilevo

« Reply #5: October 01, 2012, 02:56:27 AM »
I think many things need to change if we want more players...

Indeed Miriam. BM isn't exactly a newbie friendly game :o

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #6: October 01, 2012, 09:28:51 AM »
Indeed Miriam. BM isn't exactly a newbie friendly game :o

I welcome any and all ideas on how to improve that, without dumbing it down.

MediumTedium

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: October 01, 2012, 09:59:08 AM »
I don't think BM have that big learning curve, I think the interface should be redesigned to be more intuitive and/or "eye candy" to the one that they are used to playing other browser based games. Also maybe add automated help system for newcomers that will show them what they should do and what specific features do for first few days of playing BM?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 10:09:09 AM by MediumTedium »
"If you find you are falling into madness - dive."

Zakilevo

« Reply #8: October 01, 2012, 10:12:51 AM »

I welcome any and all ideas on how to improve that, without dumbing it down.

Dumbing things down is probably the worst idea...

I think the problem can be divided into a couple points but I can only think of two at the moment.

1) New players have no idea what to do - Maybe give them an automatic message giving them what they need to do first: Finding estates and introducing themselves.

2) Lords should be able to provide knights with something to do. At the moment, lords can only appoint one steward. Maybe other minor titles as well? Making regions or duchies into a smaller version of realms? - But this sounds like it needs too much work for our busy dev team so probably no.

Poliorketes

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: October 01, 2012, 01:16:50 PM »
I think, this game would use some 'noble goals'. I think a part of the problem is new nobles have very little to do and/or no clear goals... I don't know...

It would be all right if I put a list of  'ideas' on the Development section to be discussed?... maybe around 6-10 things... or maybe it could be some kind of 'overload' of the section? (I know some can be dump/unrealisable but maybe some others can be good... or not... who knows!  :P)

jaune

• Mighty Duke
  • Suck my socks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: October 01, 2012, 02:42:28 PM »
This may be totally out of scope idea... but it just popped on my mind while were thinking how to make newcomers get some idea of all the possibilities of BM.

What if there were BIG island, mayby copy of Dwilight. It would be sandbox. Your character would live there only 2-3 months, then re-created randomly to random duchy. It would make everything pretty chaotic and people on power would be replaced all the time. While it would be chaotic, it would speed up getting some sort of freedom to toy around with the system, for older players as well as new ones. With some luck, they could get oppurtunity to be lord almost right away. Diplomacy and basicly everything would be pretty hectic.

I dont know if this could work or give anything special for new players... but i would love to be on island like that... Oh, and i think families should be hidden for other players.

But like said, didnt give this idea even second thought... would it actually help situation at all :D
~Violence is always an option!~

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #11: October 01, 2012, 03:33:06 PM »
What if there were BIG island, mayby copy of Dwilight. It would be sandbox.

This is a frequently rejected request.

I have for years said that there will never, ever, EVER be a newbie island. Over my dead body. I'd rather sell the game to Zynga. No amount of discussion will convince me otherwise. You can get a UN resolution passed on this and I won't implement it. I'm out of ideas on how I can make this even more clear so that people will finally stop proposing it.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: October 01, 2012, 03:35:55 PM »
This is a frequently rejected request.

I have for years said that there will never, ever, EVER be a newbie island. Over my dead body. I'd rather sell the game to Zynga. No amount of discussion will convince me otherwise. You can get a UN resolution passed on this and I won't implement it. I'm out of ideas on how I can make this even more clear so that people will finally stop proposing it.

Actually, I think you misunderstood this.

The way I understood it was not as specifically a newbie island, but as a sandbox for everybody. A place you could opt into to have a temporary character, that doesn't count against your regular character limit, who has a chance to gain power very fast—and lose it again when his time is up in just a few short months.

It would be a different experience from the rest of BM, but it could be a lot of fun, and provide a way for newbies to experience things they might not otherwise be able to, while also giving older players a place to try stuff they might not be willing to risk with their regular characters.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #13: October 01, 2012, 04:36:49 PM »
Actually, I think you misunderstood this.

The way I understood it was not as specifically a newbie island, but as a sandbox for everybody. A place you could opt into to have a temporary character, that doesn't count against your regular character limit, who has a chance to gain power very fast—and lose it again when his time is up in just a few short months.

It would be a different experience from the rest of BM, but it could be a lot of fun, and provide a way for newbies to experience things they might not otherwise be able to, while also giving older players a place to try stuff they might not be willing to risk with their regular characters.

Not to mention that the potential for sniffing out bugs is greatly increased.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: October 01, 2012, 04:40:32 PM »
Not to mention that the potential for sniffing out bugs is greatly increased.

Making it a full testing island would not make it newbie friendly. If that's the goal, it should only get stable features.
After all it's a roleplaying game.