Author Topic: Ruler become lord of new region.  (Read 14387 times)

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Re: Ruler become lord of new region.
« Reply #15: September 20, 2012, 11:08:57 PM »
If the Ruler is not already a Duke, and he's trying to make himself Lord of the region and Duke of a new Duchy in that region, he needs the blessing of the Duke whose region it is already to do that.
But that doesn't make sense to me because if it was any other noble the ruler could make him duke without the rulers blessing but he needs blessing of the duke for himself? I don't see how that makes sense.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: September 20, 2012, 11:17:42 PM »
But that doesn't make sense to me because if it was any other noble the ruler could make him duke without the rulers blessing but he needs blessing of the duke for himself? I don't see how that makes sense.

No, he can only make the Lord of the region into a duke. And only the Duke in whose Duchy the region resides can appoint a Lord.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: September 20, 2012, 11:43:36 PM »
No, he can only make the Lord of the region into a duke. And only the Duke in whose Duchy the region resides can appoint a Lord.
So my next question, what's the reasoning behind needing to have a region lord to make a duchy?
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: September 20, 2012, 11:54:59 PM »
the lord gets promoted, not the region.
firefox

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #19: September 21, 2012, 01:30:16 AM »
It's a simple matter of jurisdiction.  It's the duke's privilege to appoint lords in his duchy, and the ruler's to promote lords to dukes, in turn creating new duchies.

The ruler is not all powerful, nor is he intended to be.  Perhaps there should be an option for the duke and the ruler to both give their consent and have the ruler assume lordship and dukedom at the same time, but I do not believe an option will ever exist for the ruler to simply rip a region out of a duchy and take the titles alone.
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: September 21, 2012, 01:59:05 AM »
It's a simple matter of jurisdiction.  It's the duke's privilege to appoint lords in his duchy, and the ruler's to promote lords to dukes, in turn creating new duchies.

The ruler is not all powerful, nor is he intended to be.  Perhaps there should be an option for the duke and the ruler to both give their consent and have the ruler assume lordship and dukedom at the same time, but I do not believe an option will ever exist for the ruler to simply rip a region out of a duchy and take the titles alone.

Except... that we elect our lords, the dukes normally don't appoint them.

Making your whole logic rather moot.

But as it is, I don't believe we can elect the ruler as lord without some !@#$ up happening.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: September 21, 2012, 02:09:49 AM »
Except... that we elect our lords, the dukes normally don't appoint them.

Making your whole logic rather moot.

But as it is, I don't believe we can elect the ruler as lord without some !@#$ up happening.
I figured out how for our situation specifically buy Rurik kinda f'ed it up with ignoring, the election, the prime minister, you, and ghaundan. Ghaundan, said only him if no one else, prime minister said you, you said you, and election will end up saying you.

Edit: minor fix was done
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 02:52:38 AM by Penchant »
― G.K. Chesterton

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: September 21, 2012, 02:17:20 AM »
What I would request is that the "auto-fix" that strips a ruler of his lordship if he isn't a duke be replaced by the region automatically creating a new duchy when this is observed.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: September 21, 2012, 02:21:13 AM »
What I would request is that the "auto-fix" that strips a ruler of his lordship if he isn't a duke be replaced by the region automatically creating a new duchy when this is observed.
I think it was suggested but the issue is it could result in many duchies in republics and democracies being created.
― G.K. Chesterton

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #24: September 21, 2012, 02:22:09 AM »
I think it was suggested but the issue is it could result in many duchies in republics and democracies being created.

They can be scrapped later. At worse, have it be a special "imperial" duchy that automatically dissolves.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #25: September 21, 2012, 02:24:38 AM »
They can be scrapped later. At worse, have it be a special "imperial" duchy that automatically dissolves.
That is actually a good idea, but I am unsure of their opinion on imperial duchies.
― G.K. Chesterton

D'Espana

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #26: September 21, 2012, 02:49:47 AM »
I figured out how for a situation specifically buy Rurik kinda f'ed it up with ignoring, the election, the prime minister, you, and ghaundan. Ghaundan, said only him if no one else, prime minister said you, you said you, and election will end up saying you.

I swear I was the very first one to be surprised  :o
D'Espana Family

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #27: September 21, 2012, 02:52:42 AM »
I swear I was the very first one to be surprised  :o

Yea, I too was like  :o

Paisly's the one I want, though.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #28: September 21, 2012, 02:55:26 AM »
Yea, I too was like  :o

Paisly's the one I want, though.
That was the solution in our situation. Make you region lord and duke because I knew you would want Paisly and leave without us needing to ask you when we got Paisly so that way there was no placeholder positions.
― G.K. Chesterton

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #29: September 21, 2012, 02:59:21 AM »
That was the solution in our situation. Make you region lord and duke because I knew you would want Paisly and leave without us needing to ask you when we got Paisly so that way there was no placeholder positions.

Yea.

Not sure what Rurik was thinking on that one. I say me, Ruler says me, and dude he chose also said me. :P