Author Topic: Ruler become lord of new region.  (Read 14264 times)

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
Re: Ruler become lord of new region.
« Reply #60: September 24, 2012, 10:04:38 AM »
Tom, would you be willing to allow some mechanism by which the Ruler and Duke can both agree to create a new Duchy out of a region with a vacant lordship?

I won't agree to anything that is as vague as "some mechanism".

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #61: September 24, 2012, 01:30:33 PM »
I won't agree to anything that is as vague as "some mechanism".

*sigh*

I was trying to see if you would agree in principle to the feature, with the mechanism to be determined later, rather than asking if you would agree to this method or that one.

Well, fine:

another alternative would be...

1) ruler click special link to attempt create duchy from empty region (different from your average duchy link from townsland/city/stronghold)
2) the duke gets an event message asking yes/no.
3) if yes. created. if no. too bad.

This seems pretty reasonable. Would you be willing to support this? Either as creating the Duchy with the Ruler as both Lord and Duke, or as creating it with just that region in it, and no Duke yet (the Ruler could then appoint a Duke, who could appoint himself Lord, or not)?
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #62: September 24, 2012, 04:50:07 PM »
I was trying to see if you would agree in principle to the feature, with the mechanism to be determined later, rather than asking if you would agree to this method or that one.

Missing the point there. This is all about the mechanism, because the game doesn't prevent a ruler from also being duke and lord. It's just that some ways of getting there aren't supported by the current mechanisms.

This seems pretty reasonable. Would you be willing to support this? Either as creating the Duchy with the Ruler as both Lord and Duke, or as creating it with just that region in it, and no Duke yet (the Ruler could then appoint a Duke, who could appoint himself Lord, or not)?

No.

I don't know what this is supposed to be, but it feels totally wrong. It's a gamey solution for a gamey problem, instead of something that makes IC sense. And I still don't see what the generic problem is, because all of this started due to one very particular issue. One where I personally would be comfortable to say: "Sorry you can't. Why not give someone else a shot at being duke?"

egamma

« Reply #63: September 24, 2012, 06:08:12 PM »
I don't know what this is supposed to be, but it feels totally wrong. It's a gamey solution for a gamey problem, instead of something that makes IC sense. And I still don't see what the generic problem is, because all of this started due to one very particular issue. One where I personally would be comfortable to say: "Sorry you can't. Why not give someone else a shot at being duke?"

Because he was the previous lord and duke of the region, and only lost it because the region starved when you cut Dwilight's food supply?

A ruler can make himself duke of an existing duchy. A ruler can create a new duchy. Why can a ruler not combine these two?

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #64: September 24, 2012, 06:21:55 PM »
Because he was the previous lord and duke of the region, and only lost it because the region starved when you cut Dwilight's food supply?

A ruler can make himself duke of an existing duchy. A ruler can create a new duchy. Why can a ruler not combine these two?

You are simplifying the argument and thus missing the answer. If you go through the full process of how these happen, you see immediately why.

I'm sick and tired of having arguments on this forum. If you have a suggestion, make it and it will be accepted or rejected. This constant bickering back and forth and arguing for arguments sake is causing frustration and nothing else. So to save everyone the frustration: Bad luck, this is how it is, I will not change it, period, end of discussion.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #65: September 24, 2012, 11:26:13 PM »

his argument is missing something which is a duke can appoint lords, so why can't a duke agree to allowing the ruler become lord of one of his regions with the ruler making a duchy with him instantly duke if both want/agree to it.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66: September 25, 2012, 01:05:32 AM »
This thread is over. Please move on to another topic.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.