Author Topic: Ruler become lord of new region.  (Read 14479 times)

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Ruler become lord of new region.
« Topic Start: September 20, 2012, 12:23:59 AM »
My realm has just taken over a new region that we lost and the ruler wants to be lord since he was previously duke and lord but the duchy was lost and disbanded so I am trying to come up with a way for the ruler to become lord and duke of the new duchy he wants to make instead of the duchy it was forced into without having a placeholder. So far it seems impossible which is dumb as it is a perfectly legimate thing for a character to want and should be able to do. Also the realm is a republic.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Zakilevo

Re: Ruler become lord of new region.
« Reply #1: September 20, 2012, 12:41:01 AM »
Create a duchy out of the region and appoint himself the duke of the duchy. Then appoint himself as the region lord.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: September 20, 2012, 12:42:22 AM »
Create a duchy out of the region and appoint himself the duke of the duchy. Then appoint himself as the region lord.
I could be wrong but i believe you need a lord of the region in order to make the duchy.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: September 20, 2012, 12:46:13 AM »
I could be wrong but i believe you need a lord of the region in order to make the duchy.

I believe so.

Which I consider to be a serious flaw of the new changes.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Zakilevo

« Reply #4: September 20, 2012, 12:56:23 AM »
Oh I forgot about that. Well that is a bit silly...

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: September 20, 2012, 01:00:41 AM »
Being able to name himself Lord of a region and Duke of a new duchy centered on it at the same time actually sounds like a reasonable thing to allow for Rulers, IMO.

Why don't you write it up as a formal Feature Request?
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #6: September 20, 2012, 03:02:54 AM »
But isn't it the duke's position to name lords of regions in his own duchy? (the duke of the duchy the new region got switched to)
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: September 20, 2012, 03:05:05 AM »
But isn't it the duke's position to name lords of regions in his own duchy? (the duke of the duchy the new region got switched to)

Oh, right. Damn, forgot about that.

I suppose we might be able to add a means by which the Duke could OK this...
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: September 20, 2012, 03:06:51 AM »
Yea, new regions automatically get assigned to a duchy.

However, as a ruler can promote a lord to dukeship without his duke's approval, I don't see why a ruler shouldn't be able to create a new duchy out of a vacant city without needing the duke's approval?
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: September 20, 2012, 03:53:49 AM »
Yea, new regions automatically get assigned to a duchy.

However, as a ruler can promote a lord to dukeship without his duke's approval, I don't see why a ruler shouldn't be able to create a new duchy out of a vacant city without needing the duke's approval?
+1
― G.K. Chesterton

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: September 20, 2012, 02:29:58 PM »
i thought this is sort of intentional?

---

otoh, i see no logic in a ruler being able to give away a region. the more appropriate thing would be a ruler giving a duchy away, whilst the duke gives a region away.
firefox

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #11: September 20, 2012, 10:56:00 PM »
He's not giving away the region, he's trying to assign it to a separate duchy for himself...

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: September 20, 2012, 11:02:34 PM »
He's not giving away the region, he's trying to assign it to a separate duchy for himself...

If the Ruler is not already a Duke, and he's trying to make himself Lord of the region and Duke of a new Duchy in that region, he needs the blessing of the Duke whose region it is already to do that.
Timothy Collett

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: September 20, 2012, 11:06:09 PM »

i'm well aware of that. i'm saying given the logic of hierarchy where only the duke gets to appoint the lord, then the old system of ruler giving away a region, thus skipping a lvl doesn't make much sense.
firefox

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #14: September 20, 2012, 11:06:44 PM »
i'm well aware of that. i'm saying given the logic of hierarchy where only the duke gets to appoint the lord, then the old system of ruler giving away a region, thus skipping a lvl doesn't make much sense.

Ah, I thought you were saying something quite different.