Author Topic: New Religion: PLEASE HELP ME :)  (Read 17143 times)

Shenron

• Noble Lord
  • Come and play people ;)
    • View Profile
New Religion: PLEASE HELP ME :)
« Topic Start: April 01, 2011, 12:35:07 PM »
Hi guys. I'm making a new religion on Dwilight. I've got this idea that I'm going to write a bunch of stories and include them in a compilement of stories called the "Holy Scrolls". The texts in this document will be where the church gains it moral messags from etc. The main point is that people can interpret the texts differently and players will be able to bring a lot to the church based on interpretations of the text. It's also an effort to work against the "this is how it is" attitude. I think the only way to stop this is to have some sort of theological base for argument. Not some crap like "I deeply feel that we shouldn't do this". The scripture should add realism.

The problem is. I've given myself a lot of !@#$ to do. I've already decided that I'm going to write the main stories (e.g. creation of the earth, life and people) but I want a lot more stories, like in the bible but not directly plagiarised. (stuff about people being eaten by giant beasts sent by god etc).

SO, if anyone has any roleplays that transmit any sort of moral message, I would be REAAALLY appreciative of anyone who would hand them to me so I can butcher then and put them into "holy" form. Also if anyone wants to write a story from scratch that would be very welcome.

Here is what I have so far for the religion page. Please comment on the general feeling you get from the page. The link to the "Holy Scrolls" is contained somewhere in there but it doesn't have any stories in it yet so there isn't much use showing the page to you yet.

http://wiki.battlemaster.org/wiki/Shenron/Omni_Amor_Veritas
My language: (Apologies for any confusion this results in.)
Awesome = Ossim
Tom = Tarm

cjnodell

Re: New Religion: PLEASE HELP ME :)
« Reply #1: April 01, 2011, 02:33:05 PM »
I think that it might be helpful if you gave some idea of what kind of moral attitude your religion will take. A sense of what qualities and attributes the stories should emphasize. For example, the Tao Te Ching emphasizes compassion, humility, moderation, mindfulness, nature, patience, detached-action etc... Other religious scriptures might emphasize other traits such as assertiveness amongst men, submission to divinity, hatred for mysticism, sacrifices to divinity, war or battle being good and holy, war and battle being repugnant, Personal honor being all important, community service, self service... It goes on and on!

DoctorHarte

• Mighty Duke
  • Stoned on BattleMaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: April 01, 2011, 03:20:21 PM »
I'll totally write some around 4:20 later today  8) ???

Don't judge, it does bring me great inspiration and realization, especially religion.
New Harte Family: Eros (Vix Tiramora, EC), Nyx (Fronen, BT), Chance (Avernus, DW), Scopuli (Gothica, Colonies)

Old Harte Family: Hyperion (Aurvandil, DW), William (IVF, BT), Katrina (Fronen, BT), Callandor II (Ohnar West, FE)

Zakilevo

« Reply #3: April 02, 2011, 12:26:21 AM »
Interesting. Dunno why but when I hear the word holy scrolls I think of Judaism. lol

Igelfeld

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: April 02, 2011, 02:58:47 AM »
I am starting a new religion as well (also in Dwilight), and it seems like we have somewhat of the same idea as far as religious texts go. For the most part, my religion is going to be based off of sermons and the occasional letter, and there is a thread that talks about it a little bit. Anyway, I actually really enjoy writing the occasional folktale and have a few for my religion already. If you want to create a relationship between our two religions, and possibly have a temple to each others religions in our respective realms, I would be more than willing to share some of my tales with you.

The first little bit is just a kind of introduction to the religion, but the second one is probably one you might be interested in. What follows after that is really just a rough draft.

http://wiki.battlemaster.org/wiki/Igelfeld_Family/_The_Awakening
Moritz Von Igelfeld - King of Asylon
Moria Von Igelfeld - Viscountess of Lanston
Ulrich Von Igelfeld - Knight of Remton, Dark Isle Colonist

egamma

« Reply #5: April 02, 2011, 06:26:50 AM »
Here's a few historical pieces of information:

http://forum.battlemaster.org/index.php/topic,294.0.html

there are many more in the "background" forum--that's what it's there for. I'm trying to start a few threads like the one above to give people some history to base their religions, cultures, etc, on.

Shenron

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: April 03, 2011, 01:48:02 AM »
Thanks a lot for the resources egamma and Igel's new religion looks cools too, maybe we could collaborate in future. I think at the momemt I'll lump the responsiblity to write on myself and simply let anybody chip in if they want to.

I never knew about the background forum... lol
Awesome = Ossim
Tom = Tarm

egamma

« Reply #7: April 03, 2011, 07:08:27 AM »
Here's another thought--why not collaborate on the religion, and launch the exact same religion on two islands at the same time? That's never been done before.

DoctorHarte

• Mighty Duke
  • Stoned on BattleMaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: April 03, 2011, 10:11:27 AM »
Where are you planning on starting this religion? Hyperion might be interested in joining something new if he can contribute to the foundation of it. Ya know to help fight SA  ::)
New Harte Family: Eros (Vix Tiramora, EC), Nyx (Fronen, BT), Chance (Avernus, DW), Scopuli (Gothica, Colonies)

Old Harte Family: Hyperion (Aurvandil, DW), William (IVF, BT), Katrina (Fronen, BT), Callandor II (Ohnar West, FE)

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #9: April 03, 2011, 11:18:32 AM »
Asylon. And it might not make sense on other continents because it has something to do with the Zuma, who exist only on Dwilight.

Shenron

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: April 03, 2011, 12:18:12 PM »
Here's another thought--why not collaborate on the religion, and launch the exact same religion on two islands at the same time? That's never been done before.

If you have a character on another island who wants to do this I would be happy for it.

Where are you planning on starting this religion? Hyperion might be interested in joining something new if he can contribute to the foundation of it. Ya know to help fight SA  ::)

The religion will be founded in the Grand Duchy of Fissoa in about a few weeks. Phonos has already given me the green flag and Shin will temporarily become a lord, gather the funds and start the religion. If you want to come and visit in it's early days we can roleplay something where Hyperion becomes and elder and brings back his religion to wherever he wants.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 12:22:38 PM by Shane "Shenron" O'neil »
Awesome = Ossim
Tom = Tarm

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #11: April 03, 2011, 01:20:40 PM »
Ah, wrong thread. I thought you were the Asylon fellow trying to worship daimons or something.

Shenron

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: April 03, 2011, 01:56:01 PM »
Ah, wrong thread. I thought you were the Asylon fellow trying to worship daimons or something.

That's Igelfeld ;)

http://wiki.battlemaster.org/wiki/Igelfeld_Family/_The_Awakening

But my religion may be very open to worshipping daimons also, it depends on who wishes to collaborate with me. I'm just putting it out there there that I'm very open to new ideas.
Awesome = Ossim
Tom = Tarm

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #13: April 03, 2011, 02:01:38 PM »
That's a bit ironic, since Daimon Worship wasn't accepted on BT. I wonder why there are people seemingly eager to do it on Dwilight.

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: April 03, 2011, 02:26:39 PM »
The Daimons on BT have a very different approach then those on Dwilight. Those in Dwilight generally only act when humans do something foolish. Those on BT were part of the whole 'We're going to take over your whole Continent and kill you off' thing ;) I quite noticed the difference in attitude when my BT character went to Dwilight, but I think it's understandable considering the differences in actions.