Author Topic: Clan activity detrimental to the game  (Read 15710 times)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Clan activity detrimental to the game
« Topic Start: September 20, 2012, 03:31:17 PM »
So basically ; you're in a clan. So he's right, this is OOC.

This quote is a pretty huge eyeroll.

The logic, unless I'm mistaken, seems to go:

"Player A told Player B something OOC. That means that they're in a clan together. And that means that all these bans are for OOC reasons!"

There's just so much wrong with that.

It seems to me that this all comes back to 2 main points:

1) The two bans are seen by some in OT as having been OOC motivated (for whatever reasons).
2) The establishment in OT is seen as being an OOC clan, because they defend each other and....have sent OOC messages to each other at some point in the past.

No matter how many messages are presented, (1) can never, of course, be disproved. Knowing someone else's intent can only be done by mind-reading. However, regardless of the intent, it does not seem that the bans violated anyone's Inalienable Rights, and thus they are perfectly valid IC bans. Don't like them? Tough.

Naturally, it's difficult to disprove (2) with certainty as well, because there's no way we can know what contact people have outside the game. However, having been in Outer Tilog myself in the past, I can say with confidence that it's a place that you either get, or you don't. If you don't get it, you're very likely to get the feeling that those who do are somehow in a club that you're not in. This impression will be reinforced by the fact that if you don't get Outer Tilog, chances are your character is being played as a sane, normal human, and those types don't last long in Outer Tilog. Not for OOC reasons, but for IC ones. Its way of life is just antithetical to them, that's all.

Honestly, I don't see anything here but some people with preconceived notions of OOC collusion and violations of Fair Play finding their biases confirmed everywhere they look, and refusing to consider alternative explanations. (As people suffering from acute prejudicial confirmation bias tend to do.)
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan