Author Topic: Clan activity detrimental to the game  (Read 15729 times)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Clan activity detrimental to the game
« Topic Start: September 20, 2012, 05:26:06 PM »
The first character's "ban reason" is:
Sounds to my kinda like Outer Tilog being Outer Tilog.

Arbitrary, irrational, and corrupt bans are not technically prohibited.

However... (brace for what could become a flamewar)

In my opinion, the entire realm of Outer Tilog should be locked/deleted from the game. A realm whose culture and playing style is so wildly divergent from the entire rest of the game that any remotely normal playing style results in bans and OOC flamewars is an inherently exclusive place, and is not playing as if with friends, IMHO. Having never played there myself I don't have personal experience here, but from what I hear people saying, we're fine with an exclusive clan... if its the Traditional Tilogian Culture Clan. But, IMHO, just because you post a disclaimer ("Warning: Outer Tilog is Different") doesn't mean you get exemptions from the Social Contract, and I struggle to imagine how Outer Tilog could continue to exist bereft of its hyper-exclusive culture.

I...don't think you understand what is meant by an "exclusive clan".

Anyone can play in Outer Tilog, as long as they're willing to play along. There is no attempt to discourage people who have never played there before from joining (except perhaps to warn them that it is different), and new players who can recognize the atmosphere and adapt their play style to it—which doesn't even necessarily mean that they must make their characters evil, crazy, and cannibalistic; they just have to find a way to live there without antagonizing the locals—are welcome.

It's different. It's weird. Some people don't understand it. But that's not reason enough to remove it from the game. The same can be said of some other realms—Riombara comes to mind, especially Riombara of 3-4 years ago. There were people who joined Riombara and, essentially, tried to play like it was a Monarchy. (On the flip side, there were people who joined Pian en Luries and tried to play like it was a Republic.)

Try it for a while before you condemn it as being as bad as or worse than clans, Vellos.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan