Author Topic: Sea Zones  (Read 77549 times)

Zakilevo

Re: Sea Zones
« Reply #30: September 25, 2012, 02:08:16 AM »
So a series of 5 day travels and 10 day waits to gather provisions. Who's going to be first to drop a 30k army deep behind enemy lines?

That is going to take a long time... and a lot of effort.

Poliorketes

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #31: September 25, 2012, 02:09:04 AM »
True. Unless you are vikings, you couldn't land everywhere. Sadly BM doesn't have nice sand beaches!

Maybe make it impossible to land in forest regions?

Really, landing was not hard, you only need a little beach. The only thing could do impossible to land would be an army... and even then, you can sail some hours more and land far away... I think they would be no restrictions on where land (aside the existence of enemy armies)

About the speed of sea travel? Fast. At least faster than by foot.

A Question... The sea travel will be 'oceanic' or all the sea-regions will be coastal? (I, personally, like the last option better!) 

mmm...

Another thing. If you can embark only on a harbour...  this mean an army who land on a enemy region/realm will be 'trapped'! If they can't take a city or a town region they will never be able to 'come back home'?

IMHO in a harbour would embark all kind of units, and in a non-harbour region only infantry? or small infantry units? ...or at least nobles without units.

Lorgan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #32: September 25, 2012, 02:11:18 AM »
Awesome.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #33: September 25, 2012, 02:27:00 AM »
Another thing. If you can embark only on a harbour...  this mean an army who land on a enemy region/realm will be 'trapped'! If they can't take a city or a town region they will never be able to 'come back home'?

This sounds like a feature of the system to me. You should plan your ventures carefully! However, I agree that nobles, at least, should be able to get back home. The original proposal reads "Armies can embark upon ships in harbors only".

Also, when you say "Armies can land in any region that is either friendly or has very few defending troops", again I understand why in the case of actual troops, but I would recommend that actual nobles be able to land in neutral regions even when defended. This will allow mobility for priests, traders, diplomats, etc. I understand that in case of declared war, this may not be possible.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Zakilevo

« Reply #34: September 25, 2012, 02:27:54 AM »
Really, landing was not hard, you only need a little beach. The only thing could do impossible to land would be an army... and even then, you can sail some hours more and land far away... I think they would be no restrictions on where land (aside the existence of enemy armies)

About the speed of sea travel? Fast. At least faster than by foot.

A Question... The sea travel will be 'oceanic' or all the sea-regions will be coastal? (I, personally, like the last option better!) 

mmm...

IMHO in a harbour would embark all kind of units, and in a non-harbour region only infantry? or small infantry units? ...or at least nobles without units.

I am expecting coastal. The middle age people couldn't build any ships to travel on oceans.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #35: September 25, 2012, 02:42:06 AM »

Good point. Unless you allow for ships (were we talking about implementing ships that one can purchase?) to allow friendly troops to board, therefore allowing for nobles to go pick up stranded allies.

I feel that sea zones go hand in hand with the implentation of fleets, in addition to ports. Investing in a fleet would help one's navy as investing in siege engines would help one with sieges.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 02:49:46 AM by Chénier »
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #36: September 25, 2012, 02:46:13 AM »
provisions can be resupplied at any friendly territory producing a surplus

This is incorrect, and it's a dangerous misconception that I've already had to correct more than once.

Provisions can be resupplied in any region producing a surplus. It does not matter if it's friendly.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #37: September 25, 2012, 02:47:14 AM »
Yes, islands will become strong, but at the same time they will have trouble attacking the continental areas.

Could you expand upon this? Because I'm having trouble seeing how this change makes islands anything but impregnable fortresses who can send troops against their enemies with impunity.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #38: September 25, 2012, 02:52:03 AM »
Could you expand upon this? Because I'm having trouble seeing how this change makes islands anything but impregnable fortresses who can send troops against their enemies with impunity.

Indeed. All D'Hara can attack right now are basically capitals of strong realms. Whereas a ton of foreign realms can attack us from their very capital.

With this change, we'd be able to strike at all of their weak spots, and none of them could really strike back (not investing in militia for the sole rural region we have on our isles would be stupid... rest of the isle regions are two cities, a stronghold, and two townslands). A complete reversal. Not that I'm complaining.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Zakilevo

« Reply #39: September 25, 2012, 02:57:12 AM »

These sea zones will help EC realms beat Sirion and Perdan. Can you scout sea zones though? I know people in the sea zones can't but what about people on the coastal zones?

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
« Reply #40: September 25, 2012, 03:02:51 AM »
Pretty sure the eventual inclusion of something region lords can do/build for that was mentioned by Tom already.

Honestly, this has a very Crusader Kings feel to it.  I like it, Tom.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #41: September 25, 2012, 03:20:09 AM »
This is incorrect, and it's a dangerous misconception that I've already had to correct more than once.

Provisions can be resupplied in any region producing a surplus. It does not matter if it's friendly.
game text should be changed because that's not what the game says.

Regional Events in Scarbran   (20 hours, 58 minutes ago)
message to everyone in Scarbran
Surplus food in the region allows for friendly troops to resupply.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #42: September 25, 2012, 03:21:00 AM »
I am guessing that from what Tom just recently said, the placement of defending forces in a region will have to meet a certain ratio relative to the strength of the attacking forces in order for the attacking forces to not be able to land. So if you bring, for example, a 30k CS force to invade that rural region you will probably succeed even if it has 1k CS of militia.

It would be a bit silly to simply say that if a region has ANY defending forces a landing cannot happen no matter what. Put down 10 man militia units everywhere and bingo, no sea invasions.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #43: September 25, 2012, 03:28:45 AM »
I am guessing that from what Tom just recently said, the placement of defending forces in a region will have to meet a certain ratio relative to the strength of the attacking forces in order for the attacking forces to not be able to land. So if you bring, for example, a 30k CS force to invade that rural region you will probably succeed even if it has 1k CS of militia.

It would be a bit silly to simply say that if a region has ANY defending forces a landing cannot happen no matter what. Put down 10 man militia units everywhere and bingo, no sea invasions.
one issue, if there is 30k CS in a sea zone, the game won't calculate it that way from what I am hearing since its all individuals trying and not the entire force unless the determining on travel being allowed is at turn change to see the total invading force.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #44: September 25, 2012, 03:41:07 AM »
one issue, if there is 30k CS in a sea zone, the game won't calculate it that way from what I am hearing since its all individuals trying and not the entire force unless the determining on travel being allowed is at turn change to see the total invading force.

The latter was my understanding.