Author Topic: Message History Dump Files  (Read 9945 times)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Export messages to CSV format
« Reply #30: November 10, 2012, 09:46:57 PM »
If we ever do implement a message export feature (which we may; we've talked about it a number of times), a database-like format will almost certainly not be the first thing we go for. A much higher percentage of our players will likely want human-readable output rather than machine-processable.

That's not to say that this will never happen, but it's definitely a lower priority than an HTML or rich-text message export.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

m2rt

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #31: November 11, 2012, 05:24:34 AM »
If we ever do implement a message export feature (which we may; we've talked about it a number of times), a database-like format will almost certainly not be the first thing we go for. A much higher percentage of our players will likely want human-readable output rather than machine-processable.

That's not to say that this will never happen, but it's definitely a lower priority than an HTML or rich-text message export.

HTML with properly tagged classes are fine too! So its easier to use JS to get content... It would be really great if there is timestamp not current "days ago".

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32: November 11, 2012, 05:40:57 AM »
I would be against real timestamps. That is information that is not available in-game. Putting it in the data dump would therefore make it available only to people capable of parsing/using the data dump.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

egamma

Re: Message History Dump Files
« Reply #33: November 11, 2012, 05:01:41 PM »
(merged with previous thread on same topic)