Author Topic: Rebellions  (Read 7625 times)

Alpha

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Rebellions
« Topic Start: April 02, 2011, 09:10:38 PM »
How do the militia in a region fight if the lord of that region joins the rebellion? Do they join with their lord, or the realm?

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
Re: Rebellions
« Reply #1: April 02, 2011, 09:13:15 PM »
How do the militia in a region fight if the lord of that region joins the rebellion? Do they join with their lord, or the realm?

Only example I've seen was one rebellion at the end of Abington's days when the Duke of the capital joined the rebellion.  The militia appeared to be split.  Each turn the Duke would note which militia had fought for the loyalists and disband them.  I think it changed each turn, though.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Alpha

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: April 02, 2011, 09:20:55 PM »
I've heard they do, they don't, and about everything in between. Unfortunately, all the rebellions I've seen have either had the militia previously disbanded, or the Capital Duke never joins.

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: April 03, 2011, 06:16:08 AM »
What about the militia of other regions? Does it stay neutral, fight for the Crown or fight for whichever side its lord joins?

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #4: April 03, 2011, 01:35:56 PM »
Militia of other units shouldn't matter, because if you have rebels not in the capital, your rebellion is inferior.

But to answer the question, probably the same thing happens for militia in all regions as the capital.

ó Broin

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: April 04, 2011, 02:43:49 AM »
I find it said that the only "correct" way to hold a rebellion is to mass all your troops in the capital before declaring.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: April 04, 2011, 03:27:46 PM »
I don't know that I would call it the "correct" way, but surely the most likely to succeed. The objective of the rebellion is to capture the capital. So why would you gather anywhere else? OK, maybe in the region next door, and make an immediate move to the capital. But nothing else really makes much sense.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

ó Broin

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: April 05, 2011, 12:17:58 AM »
Of course it makes sense in the context of the game mechanics, and that is my problem. Rebellions need to be more then just grabbing a single region. Otherwise we will just see the same cookie cutter method, recruit General, mass in capital, have general dismiss militia, win.

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #8: April 05, 2011, 12:26:22 AM »
Add two more methods to the one mentioned:

1. Wait until the ruler position is empty and rebel. There you win.

2. Rebel, then make the ruler lose his position. Win again.

At least I think the above two work.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: April 05, 2011, 03:00:50 AM »
So what would you suggest as an alternative?

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: April 05, 2011, 03:15:54 AM »
The most obvious would be a true civil war, each Lord declares for the rebels or the loyalist, and each side needs to take over the regions of the other.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #11: April 05, 2011, 02:20:19 PM »
That would give the loyalists a clear advantage unless the rebels have a much larger force initially. Remember, loyalists can still recruit, rebels can't. That means under De-Legro's suggestion, unless the rebels have what it takes to defeat every loyalist at the time of rebellion, there is virtually no way for them to win.

Furthermore, most rebellions don't have more rebels than loyalists, but in the competent ones, the few rebels are more skilled or better organized, and are rewarded by being able to storm the capital and win. Without any advantage for timing attacks and location awareness, then in almost all cases of rebellions the loyalists would win, more so than they probably already do.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: April 05, 2011, 04:30:08 PM »
The most obvious would be a true civil war, each Lord declares for the rebels or the loyalist, and each side needs to take over the regions of the other.

Which would be like a secession?

Forbes Family

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: April 05, 2011, 04:49:39 PM »
That would give the loyalists a clear advantage unless the rebels have a much larger force initially. Remember, loyalists can still recruit, rebels can't. That means under De-Legro's suggestion, unless the rebels have what it takes to defeat every loyalist at the time of rebellion, there is virtually no way for them to win.

Furthermore, most rebellions don't have more rebels than loyalists, but in the competent ones, the few rebels are more skilled or better organized, and are rewarded by being able to storm the capital and win. Without any advantage for timing attacks and location awareness, then in almost all cases of rebellions the loyalists would win, more so than they probably already do.

Actually this makes total sense. Most rebellions failed to succeed without vast amounts of bloodshed. There would be a fight if a rebellion were to happen. I think your onto something here.
Forbes Family

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: April 06, 2011, 12:40:55 AM »
Which would be like a secession?

Yes, I won't be against rebellions being removed in favour of secessions becoming the vehicle of rebellion.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.