Author Topic: Allison's Eulogies  (Read 30031 times)

Kain

• Noble Lord
  • Prepared for both the book and the sword.
    • View Profile
Re: Allison's Eulogies
« Reply #90: April 15, 2013, 01:44:21 AM »
I'm also concerned about the amosphere now in comparison to that of old. I agree that the diminishing player base probably caused all kinds of changes in the dynamics but other than that I have a hard time putting a finger on exactly what could be better.

Personally I'm wondering if you shouldn't do some cultural imperalism. In this case that would mean that at least 10 active dedicated players created/sought themselves to a newly created realm and did everything for it to become a cultural superpower. No doubt will the reputation go of who is there and how much fun they are having and from that standpoint try to influence the culture on an entire island, and eventually all islands.

With religion and guilds and such it has never been easier to communicate island-wide and as such spread ideas across an island.

Maybe it will change nothing or perhaps it will make the realms on every island very uneven in player participation.
Either way, it would be great fun and a great challenge with a noble goal. To make the whole game more fun for everyone.
House of Kain: Silas (Swordfell), Epona (Nivemus)

Madigan

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #91: April 15, 2013, 03:17:03 AM »
Titles are also a good example because they're the very first thing on the 'do' list on the Dwilight wiki page. Why is that? Rewind to 2006.

Similar discussions were had then, some around the FEI, which had lost its designation as the 'RP Island' well before even then. And when I say we had a lot of RPers, I don't mean that the only thing we're missing now is people who would log in and write paragraphs of text about whatever they did that day (though some did). These were people who could take a black screen with white text on it and convey a real feeling of place and time. It wasn't one thing they did; it was a thousand little things, and collectively it made BM special for a lot of people, most of whom clearly aren't around anymore to talk about it.

Not to wade into this, because the title conversation is irrelevant to me, but I just have to note this: God, those were the days, Scarlett. When Lasanar would be filled to the brim every day with great RPs (remember the Vulpes-Kestrel Wedding?).

And it is a damn shame what so many vanished - not even just on FEI, but there were great RPs in Ibby around a love triangle - and I'll definitely agree that we lost a talented pool of people. But some come back and there is enough new blood - RP-wise - to make me hopeful.

My point is: Yes, things were definitely amazing back then and I still remember the old Galiard and Dodd RPs and chuckle to myself, but in a way Kwanstein is right. That a good part of that is nostalgia and that we can only focus on the present.
Silverfire: So who married Alice?
Woelfy: She's married to Hendrick Madigan
Silverfire: How much would it cost for someone to assasinate Hendrick Madigan for me

Kwanstein

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #92: April 15, 2013, 03:18:54 AM »
Compared to '06/'07, the devs have actually been catering to people like me in a lot of ways. The gameyness of a lot of things is substantially less than it was. Not everything but most of the people I know who left the game did so calling it 'peasantMaster' and so on, and that aspect is a whole lot better.

But that's programming. I'm talking about thematic catering. Right now it's out of sync: it says 'serious medieval atmosphere' but ain't. So either change what it says to whatever you think it really is, or change what it is.

Don't do it the way I'd want you to do it. I won't be here anyway. Just make a conscious decision about the kind of people you want and appeal to those people. Sure these things are cyclical but the only way I'm at all unique among the group of people I'm talking about is that I came back to check things out again and most of them won't.

What thematic catering are you talking about? Who are these 'people' you keep on referencing?

Just as an aside, I can only imagine how joyless playing a game with people who coin terms like "peasant master" would be. That unjustified, self-righteous witticism is proof in my eyes of a puritanical mindset which could rob any game of it's whimsy faster than you could say it.

BarticaBoat

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #93: April 15, 2013, 03:44:58 AM »
What thematic catering are you talking about? Who are these 'people' you keep on referencing?

Just as an aside, I can only imagine how joyless playing a game with people who coin terms like "peasant master" would be. That unjustified, self-righteous witticism is proof in my eyes of a puritanical mindset which could rob any game of it's whimsy faster than you could say it.
For all to witness: proof of Kwanstein being an internet master debator

Contrary to what you'll find on the internet with people using the word peasant, BM was once called peasantmaster because a hell of a lot of time was spent tending to regions before the new estate system. I understand not everyone remembers those days though. When are you turning 13 brah, that's a big year!

Norrel

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #94: April 15, 2013, 03:55:10 AM »
For all to witness: proof of Kwanstein being an internet master debator

Contrary to what you'll find on the internet with people using the word peasant, BM was once called peasantmaster because a hell of a lot of time was spent tending to regions before the new estate system. I understand not everyone remembers those days though. When are you turning 13 brah, that's a big year!

Come on, he knows how to use a thesaurus pretty well, he must at least be 14.
“it was never wise for a ruler to eschew the trappings of power, for power itself flows in no small measure from such trappings.”
- George R.R. Martin ; Melisandre

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #95: April 15, 2013, 04:04:35 AM »
Aside from a couple of people having a reasonable debate, this thread has turned into little more than insults, so it's getting locked. Getting really sick of these toxic Dwilight threads, people.

egamma

« Reply #96: April 15, 2013, 04:21:36 AM »
Warnings issued to 2 people.