Author Topic: The Marrocidenian war  (Read 547310 times)

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Re: The Marrocidenian war
« Reply #1650: March 18, 2013, 03:31:09 PM »
He is talking about Erasmus I believe, not Kas.

Oh, sorry. I got confused.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

kobetheist

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1651: March 18, 2013, 08:26:32 PM »
He was a villain right up until the moment that he (and his OOC buddies) got caught, and then he was just another griefer, kinda-sorta abusing game mechanics to exact revenge. Don't confuse villainy with being a troll, or being chronically predisposed to betraying your own team.  ;)

Can you please explain how I, the player of Erasmus, abused game mechanics?

Not sure what you mean by "being chronically predisposed to betraying your own team" but I'll say that Erasmus never did anything to betray Terran (excluding his distrust and attempts to discredit Hireshemont near the end, which he saw as trying to help/save Terran) until after he felt he was betrayed by them due to all the threats and protests engineered by Hireshmont; his info was used to help Terran and D'Hara, the "spy network" was a one-way street into the Senate and Strategium of Terran--rarely used and usually unknowingly by the people he got the info from, and his other "activities" of torture and murder were pretty well known and tolerated in Terran for quite a while, including by the Chief Magistrate. I don't deny the griefing (if you mean destroying granaries/renaming recruitment centers in his region when it became apparent they were gonna ban him and try to kill him)  to get revenge, though, and still have (or had, now that I hear Terran is getting jacked up badly right now) plans for more against Hireshemont and his guys ;) BUT, I didn't see any of that as abuse, and it seemed like something the character would do out of spite and hatred.

And, Kas was ruler of Terran?!? I'm sorry I missed that, that guy always said the funnest and craziest things :)

Scarlett

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1652: March 18, 2013, 08:47:58 PM »
I was referring to Kas, not Erasmus. Not even in the same league.

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1653: March 18, 2013, 08:54:25 PM »

Not sure what you mean by "being chronically predisposed to betraying your own team" but I'll say that Erasmus never did anything to betray Terran (excluding his distrust and attempts to discredit Hireshemont near the end, which he saw as trying to help/save Terran) until after he felt he was betrayed by them due to all the threats and protests engineered by Hireshmont; his info was used to help Terran and D'Hara, the "spy network" was a one-way street into the Senate and Strategium of Terran--rarely used and usually unknowingly by the people he got the info from, and his other "activities" of torture and murder were pretty well known and tolerated in Terran for quite a while, including by the Chief Magistrate. I don't deny the griefing (if you mean destroying granaries/renaming recruitment centers in his region when it became apparent they were gonna ban him and try to kill him)  to get revenge, though, and still have (or had, now that I hear Terran is getting jacked up badly right now) plans for more against Hireshemont and his guys ;) BUT, I didn't see any of that as abuse, and it seemed like something the character would do out of spite and hatred.

And, Kas was ruler of Terran?!? I'm sorry I missed that, that guy always said the funnest and craziest things :)

I will say that the whole incident with Erasmus was a lot of fun. Everyone knew he did some weird torture stuff with advys, but we all just kind of looked the other way because Erasmus was a competent judge and noble in the realm who contributed. Then all of the info coming out about the Hunters of the Sacred Right, etc. was really interesting, turned into this big thing, and then the power struggle to remove a Judge was pretty epic.

The Erasmus debacle was a lot of fun and I think it remained fairly free of any hard OOC feelings, which is always great.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #1654: March 18, 2013, 09:21:45 PM »

Using elections to hop around from vacant lordship to lordship to avoid being banned under the "new lord" protections. Wasn't there an entire thread about this?

kobetheist

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1655: March 18, 2013, 09:41:49 PM »

I will say that the whole incident with Erasmus was a lot of fun. Everyone knew he did some weird torture stuff with advys, but we all just kind of looked the other way because Erasmus was a competent judge and noble in the realm who contributed. Then all of the info coming out about the Hunters of the Sacred Right, etc. was really interesting, turned into this big thing, and then the power struggle to remove a Judge was pretty epic.

The Erasmus debacle was a lot of fun and I think it remained fairly free of any hard OOC feelings, which is always great.

Yeah, definitely. Was great and everyone in the realm seemed to enjoy the brief excitement and drama. And all the IG rivalry aside between Erasmus and Hireshemont, I always though his player was a very successful ruler because he made a lot of effort to involve everyone and spice things up when they would get boring.

Using elections to hop around from vacant lordship to lordship to avoid being banned under the "new lord" protections. Wasn't there an entire thread about this?

I do remember reading you guys talking about that way back when, but no one directly accused me of anything so I didn't feel the need to defend myself like now. And from what I remember, many of you devs didn't even know about that thing... so what makes you think I would've known, and then assume that I did know and do it with that intention?Erasmus ran for that election (only one) in the hopes of getting a quick boost of tax gold before he left for zuma lands, seeing an easy opportunity since no one else was running; and funny thing was 3 or 4 other nobles voted for him too :)  I had no idea what was going on with Erasmus' ban or why they were waiting but figured it had to do with a trial they kept alluding to , and Erasmus figured the delay was from his psudo-confession/mocking rant to SA about repenting and seeking forgiveness for his crimes. I had no idea about any new lord protections.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 09:44:00 PM by kobetheist »

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1656: March 18, 2013, 11:17:28 PM »
Terran always seemed to me a realm set up to sort of 'get by' while the 'moot was the 'real' organization.  Short of rebellion, there is no way for any one person in Terran to get anything done. The Chief Magistrate is a vote-counter.

I've never seen a Republic work in BM without a strong central government, and both Kale and Hireshmont have (on purpose?) seen to it that that never occurs.

That's perfectly fine IC, but as a player in the realm it's made it a bit dull because all the real decisions get made by the 'moot and there is no feudal hierarchy at all. There is no reason to give a !@#$ what happens in the region next door, or who the up and coming knights are. It's just election after election and the only person who ever gets any criticism is poor Kale because his is the only job with regularly quantifiable results, even if those results (at least in this most recent case) have more to do with 'realm with no cohesion can't move as one army' and less to do with poor generalship. There isn't really even any politicking because at this point all the little mini-groups in Terran just loathe each other.

But this has been apparent forever. Terran needed to be recycled into a new realm a long time ago, but because it would have threatened the 'moot, that didn't happen. What authority does exist is typically bent toward defending the status quo and/or electing someone who won't rock the boat too much with respect to SA or the 'moot.

I find this view to be quite intriguing, really, because as far as I can remember, there's nothing the 'moot elders can agree to without support from the various senates. The Treaty limits every realm's sovereignty, but it also can't dictate anything to them...

Wtf, why does this protection even exist?
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #1657: March 18, 2013, 11:19:31 PM »
Yeah, definitely. Was great and everyone in the realm seemed to enjoy the brief excitement and drama. And all the IG rivalry aside between Erasmus and Hireshemont, I always though his player was a very successful ruler because he made a lot of effort to involve everyone and spice things up when they would get boring.

I do remember reading you guys talking about that way back when, but no one directly accused me of anything so I didn't feel the need to defend myself like now. And from what I remember, many of you devs didn't even know about that thing... so what makes you think I would've known, and then assume that I did know and do it with that intention?Erasmus ran for that election (only one) in the hopes of getting a quick boost of tax gold before he left for zuma lands, seeing an easy opportunity since no one else was running; and funny thing was 3 or 4 other nobles voted for him too :)  I had no idea what was going on with Erasmus' ban or why they were waiting but figured it had to do with a trial they kept alluding to , and Erasmus figured the delay was from his psudo-confession/mocking rant to SA about repenting and seeking forgiveness for his crimes. I had no idea about any new lord protections.

Erasmus was an awesome character.

It made me sad it ended the way it did: I really was hoping that Erasmus could be a trigger for Hireshmont's plunge into darkness. Their conversations about peasants and Erasmus' odd hobbies could really have been a segue to something bigger. But then Erasmus got involved with Hireshmont's political rivals. He changed from being a personally evil but reasonably neutral politician to being a political rival with a wee bit too much power. So Hireshmont had to address the situation.

I will say: I thought it was awesome when Erasmus arrested Hireshmont. It had never, ever occurred to me to do such a thing, but it was really a clever move.

Simpler times.

Wtf, why does this protection even exist?

I don't remember. It is a bit frustrating that we weren't able to get a ban on Erasmus... but such is the way of things.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

^ban^

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
  • Le Genie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1658: March 20, 2013, 02:51:55 AM »
I don't remember. It is a bit frustrating that we weren't able to get a ban on Erasmus... but such is the way of things.

It may have been (be?) a remnant of the time when you could purchase region lordships.
Born in Day they knew the Light; Rulers, prophets, servants, and warriors.
Life in Night that they walk; Gods, heretics, thieves, and murderers.
The Stefanovics live.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #1659: March 20, 2013, 02:58:12 AM »
It may have been (be?) a remnant of the time when you could purchase region lordships.
I know its from some old feature that is no longer in practice. I think Tim specified which one when the incident happened.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1660: March 20, 2013, 03:13:30 AM »
I believe that's correct—the new-lord-protection is from when you could purchase lordships from within your realm, and Judges had to be forcibly reminded that in-character, they should at least give the "ancient claim" on the region the benefit of the doubt.

The extreme disconnect between the logical in-character reaction and the logical out-of-character reaction was what eventually led to the death of that feature (buying lordships within your realm, that is).
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
« Reply #1661: March 21, 2013, 02:25:01 AM »
Is it me, or is this war finally winding down?
"Behavior that's admired is the path to power among people everywhere"

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #1662: March 21, 2013, 02:25:41 AM »
Is it me, or is this war finally winding down?

There are 30,000 CS of Aurvandil soldiers about to drive Chateau Saffalore rogue.

Yeah it's winding down.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
« Reply #1663: March 21, 2013, 02:26:20 AM »
well...!@#$.
"Behavior that's admired is the path to power among people everywhere"

Lanyon

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1664: March 21, 2013, 02:27:53 AM »
Ah the sweet taste of victory. Good game moot. Now lets be FWENDS!