Author Topic: The Marrocidenian war  (Read 547301 times)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Re: The Marrocidenian war
« Reply #180: October 16, 2012, 03:48:37 AM »
Just to clarify, "SA" does not ally with anyone. Individual realms have chosen to ally with Terran, and, so I hear, send troops around. But unless you hear an announcement from the church, then the people doing it are not "SA". This is an important distnction, not an empty semantic exercise.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #181: October 16, 2012, 04:10:20 AM »
Just to clarify, "SA" does not ally with anyone. Individual realms have chosen to ally with Terran, and, so I hear, send troops around. But unless you hear an announcement from the church, then the people doing it are not "SA". This is an important distnction, not an empty semantic exercise.

Sure. But in practise, seems like almost every SA realm in jumping in. Except maybe Kabrinskia, but fighting alongside them would be extremely awkward anyways.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Norrel

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #182: October 16, 2012, 04:11:32 AM »

Wouldn't it be better to allow people to believe what they will IC and not just shoot it down OOC?
“it was never wise for a ruler to eschew the trappings of power, for power itself flows in no small measure from such trappings.”
- George R.R. Martin ; Melisandre

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #183: October 16, 2012, 04:16:50 AM »
People can believe whatever they want IC. I'm not issuing an IG proclamation, just giving an OOC clarification.

Norrel

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #184: October 16, 2012, 04:34:27 AM »
People can believe whatever they want IC. I'm not issuing an IG proclamation, just giving an OOC clarification.

Why? You know that most people's IC misgivings are also based on OOC misgivings, right?
“it was never wise for a ruler to eschew the trappings of power, for power itself flows in no small measure from such trappings.”
- George R.R. Martin ; Melisandre

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #185: October 16, 2012, 04:36:46 AM »
Why?
Because I felt like making a clarification.

Woelfy

• Mighty Duke
  • I'm baaaaack
    • View Profile
« Reply #186: October 16, 2012, 04:56:15 AM »
A somewhat necessary clarification, from some of the things I've seen.

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #187: October 16, 2012, 08:06:42 AM »
Except maybe Kabrinskia, but fighting alongside them would be extremely awkward anyways.

;)
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #188: October 17, 2012, 11:29:43 PM »
Heh, Aurvandil's got some pretty whacky diplomatic strategies.

Because obviously convincing D'Harans that setting up a colony in Paisly was in our own interests is going to work. Obviously.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #189: October 18, 2012, 03:46:34 AM »
Heh, Aurvandil's got some pretty whacky diplomatic strategies.

Because obviously convincing D'Harans that setting up a colony in Paisly was in our own interests is going to work. Obviously.

Has anyone else noticed that the Paisly Duchy the Aurvandi set up is called the "Florentine City-State of Paisly"? What in the world? "Florentine" should have zero meaning in BM context....
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #190: October 18, 2012, 07:30:17 AM »
Well, Florentine can mean "served or dressed with spinach", so perhaps they are going to cover the city in green, leafy vegetables? Perhaps rename the city "Parsley"?

Eldargard

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #191: October 18, 2012, 07:59:48 AM »
I personally do not see the big deal. People constantly borrow names and words for in game use from real world history or languages. They do not always line up perfectly but that really does not matter. How many character names are really from the medieval period of western Europe? Heck, look at region names! Many of them do not invoke a medieval European feel in my opinion. I am not expert in history though...

This game involves collaboratively creating a world that has a medieval feel. Few of us are experts in history and even if we all were there would still be disagreements about what fits and what doesn’t. As long as a name or use of language does not come off as too outlandish, I think we should really remain flexible.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #192: October 18, 2012, 08:06:12 AM »
Has anyone else noticed that the Paisly Duchy the Aurvandi set up is called the "Florentine City-State of Paisly"? What in the world? "Florentine" should have zero meaning in BM context....
Lady Florence is the ruler of Aurvandil's planned colony.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

MediumTedium

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #193: October 18, 2012, 08:08:23 AM »
Much Madness is divinest Sense --
To a discerning Eye --
Much Sense -- the starkest Madness --
'Tis the Majority
In this, as All, prevail --
Assent -- and you are sane --
Demur -- you're straightway dangerous --
And handled with a Chain -

See you on the battlefield.
"If you find you are falling into madness - dive."

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #194: October 18, 2012, 01:05:07 PM »
I personally do not see the big deal. People constantly borrow names and words for in game use from real world history or languages. They do not always line up perfectly but that really does not matter. How many character names are really from the medieval period of western Europe? Heck, look at region names! Many of them do not invoke a medieval European feel in my opinion. I am not expert in history though...

This game involves collaboratively creating a world that has a medieval feel. Few of us are experts in history and even if we all were there would still be disagreements about what fits and what doesn’t. As long as a name or use of language does not come off as too outlandish, I think we should really remain flexible.

People do not, however, commonly borrow adjectives that relate to specific places and time periods in Earth history, and for a very good reason.

There was no Florence, Italy in BattleMaster, because there was no Italy, and no Europe. Therefore, describing something as "like Florence" (which is what Florentine means) is utterly meaningless IC.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan