Author Topic: The Marrocidenian war  (Read 547284 times)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: The Marrocidenian war
« Reply #195: October 18, 2012, 01:11:55 PM »
Has anyone else noticed that the Paisly Duchy the Aurvandi set up is called the "Florentine City-State of Paisly"? What in the world? "Florentine" should have zero meaning in BM context....

Florentine... because the lord's name is... Florence?

It's not RL toponomy burrowing, here...

That all of you did not see or realize this is surprising...

And if you are unhappy with that, go bash on Kabrinskia and Solaria who set the trend of naming realms after themselves. Because obviously, France called itself Marivingia in the days, and Great Britain called itself Tudoria.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #196: October 18, 2012, 01:25:04 PM »
And if you are unhappy with that, go bash on Kabrinskia and Solaria who set the trend of naming realms after themselves. Because obviously, France called itself Marivingia in the days, and Great Britain called itself Tudoria.

On the other hand, China is named after the Qin dynasty, the Ottoman empire is named after its first ruler Otman, Liechtenstein is named after the ruling Liechtenstein family (not the other way around), America was named after Amerigo Vespucci, in addition to many modern examples.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #197: October 18, 2012, 01:31:02 PM »
On the other hand, China is named after the Qin dynasty, the Ottoman empire is named after its first ruler Otman, Liechtenstein is named after the ruling Liechtenstein family (not the other way around), America was named after Amerigo Vespucci, in addition to many modern examples.

Non-european, non-european, okay, not comparable.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #198: October 18, 2012, 01:37:21 PM »

China's name is not China in China. It is only the europeans that call it that way.

And the Ottoman empire is non-European in exactly the same way that Vienna is in Asia. :-)

Stabbity

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
  • Formerly the Himoura Family. Currently ?????????
    • View Profile
« Reply #199: October 18, 2012, 01:45:50 PM »

It's not RL toponomy burrowing, here...

That all of you did not see or realize this is surprising...

Tudoria woukd be a far more interesting place than boring old England. Tired of your wife? Behead her! Tired of your minister getting on your case about said beheadings? Start your own church! Tudoria, where Men can be Men.
Life is a dance, it is only fitting that death sing the tune.

DamnTaffer

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #200: October 18, 2012, 02:24:50 PM »
Tudoria woukd be a far more interesting place than boring old England. Tired of your wife? Behead her! Tired of your minister getting on your case about said beheadings? Start your own church! Tudoria, where Men can be Men.

Kinda needs to be some treason in there somewhere for the beheading... The church was split by the Tudors... To allow devorce...

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #201: October 18, 2012, 06:26:14 PM »

Actually, the Ottoman Empire had a major hold on Southeastern Europe. <.< The more you know...

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #202: October 18, 2012, 06:43:48 PM »
They wouldn't have named the duchy after the lord. That is explicitly disallowed right on the page where you rename the duchy. That would be like defending your inappropriate RL reference for your duchy name by saying "no, no, we didn't use an RL cultural reference, we broke the rules and named it after the lord!"
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Lefanis

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #203: October 18, 2012, 07:06:01 PM »
That is explicitly disallowed right on the page where you rename the duchy.

Why is this? Can't be named after the lord, or characters in general?
What is Freedom? - ye can tell; That which slavery is, too well; For its very name has grown; To an echo of your own

T'is to work and have such pay; As just keeps life from day to day; In your limbs, as in a cell; For the tyrants' use to dwell

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #204: October 18, 2012, 07:27:43 PM »

If that's the case then it's just really weird and awkward, but I guess not wrong.

Naming a realm after someone is a lot different than turning someone's name into an adjective. Ohhh man, that realm is SO Tomian! And look over there at that beautiful Johnish coastline!

"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #205: October 18, 2012, 07:36:27 PM »
If that's the case then it's just really weird and awkward, but I guess not wrong.

Naming a realm after someone is a lot different than turning someone's name into an adjective. Ohhh man, that realm is SO Tomian! And look over there at that beautiful Johnish coastline!
Is it that hard for people to see Florentine City-State of Paisly= Lady Florence's duchy that will soon be a realm? I guess I might just see it as easy as I learned of the plans for the duchy, then saw its name.  I don't see the issue with naming a duchy like that.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #206: October 18, 2012, 07:40:34 PM »
Is it that hard for people to see Florentine City-State of Paisly= Lady Florence's duchy that will soon be a realm? I guess I might just see it as easy as I learned of the plans for the duchy, then saw its name.  I don't see the issue with naming a duchy like that.

It didn't occur to me, but I didn't notice the Lord's name, either. Again, I clarified I don't think its wrong now that I know that. Just really weird and awkward to use someone's name as an adjective, lol.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #207: October 18, 2012, 07:50:45 PM »
They wouldn't have named the duchy after the lord. That is explicitly disallowed right on the page where you rename the duchy. That would be like defending your inappropriate RL reference for your duchy name by saying "no, no, we didn't use an RL cultural reference, we broke the rules and named it after the lord!"

There is a huge margin between "Florentine City-State of Paisly" and "The Duchy of Florence Endellion". The second one is clearly against the rule. The former feels like more acceptable flavor text to me.

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #208: October 18, 2012, 08:01:27 PM »
Just really weird and awkward to use someone's name as an adjective, lol.

That's such a Perthian attitude.

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #209: October 18, 2012, 08:08:42 PM »
Why didn't this matter come up when The Falkirkian Freestate was made?
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).