Author Topic: The Marrocidenian war  (Read 547479 times)

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
Re: The Marrocidenian war
« Reply #420: October 25, 2012, 06:01:33 PM »
The real reason that the northern realms attacked the new colony is because they can't march any further south.  Morale losses due to distance from home are BIG.  They marched all that way for weeks and then sat around for days waiting for Terran to figure out what was going on before hey finally figured out which way the sword points.  By that time they had been in the field for a really long time and they couldn't march much further south.  They had to attack something.  Anything.  So the new colony got clobbered.

This is not even true. You do realize that we were waiting for everyone to arrive, right? You do realize that not ever single Astroist realm shipped their troops off on the same day, to arrive on the same day? No, it was a constant trickle of arrivals all the way up until the day we marched. We knew exactly what our goal was from day 1, it's pretty straightforward. It had nothing to do with trying "to figure out what was going on."

Sheesh.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #421: October 25, 2012, 06:02:00 PM »
Ya know why I see Fioreniza, Falkirk, and Aurvandil as the same?

The have the same freaking color on the statistics page. It's annoying as hell. Gotta kill at least two of them just to make the stats page readable again.

Curious: is that intentional, or the result of some inherited property from secessions?

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #422: October 25, 2012, 06:05:36 PM »
Curious: is that intentional, or the result of some inherited property from secessions?

I cannot speak to intention, but it is, in fact, inherited upon secession.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Bjarnson

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #423: October 25, 2012, 06:10:15 PM »
It's probably the reason why Mendicant likes Glaumring and Aslyon, despite them both entirely disagreeing on everything from war, to religion, to the way Asylon runs it's kingdom. Glaumring may be eccentric and Asylon entirely opposite to Aurvandil on a lot of things, but at least you have a proper diplomatic negotiation with them without pretence or slimy political deals, that is when you can get a straight and consistent answer from Glaumring however, the amount of times he changes his mind over topics when talking to Mendicant is staggering. He seemed to do it every other letter during his war with Kabrinskia.

**Edit** - A bit to eager on the post button.

Well, That is Glaumring for you, BUT Asylon has another King now, people seem to forget that.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 06:12:37 PM by Sir Grimrog Bjarnson »
King Grimrog Bjarnson of Asylon.

Bjarnson

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #424: October 25, 2012, 06:12:57 PM »
"Letter from Florence Endellion (3 hours, 55 minutes ago) Message sent to the Rulers of Dwilight (16 recipients) The notion of Provincia di Fiorenza being used as an extension of Aurvandil was already considered,such is why I have drawn up agreements with third parties such as Asylon where they have already sworn to defend our neutrality by force of arms,which includes invading the Provincia should we break the neutrality.

If such treaties are insufficient to dissuade you from war,then it is clear you do not care either way,whether or not Provincia di Fiorenza is truly neutral.

Florence Endellion Gonfaloniere of Provincia di Fiorenza Duchess of Florentine City-State of Paisly Margravine of Paisly"

?

Interesting. I know someone has been talking about helping the new colony, but I have not heard it confirmed by our King.
But in the same discussions we have had people suggesting that we should  repair our relation with Terran, others suggest woeing Kabrinskia or even the SA realms north of us. But now i feel that I am sharing to much with this forum. I will return to observing, but as i said before, I know of no alliance with this new Colony.
King Grimrog Bjarnson of Asylon.

NoblesseChevaleresque

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #425: October 25, 2012, 06:21:08 PM »
**Edit** - A bit to eager on the post button.

Well, That is Glaumring for you, BUT Asylon has another King now, people seem to forget that.

Well Glaumring seems to be the political leviathan of Asylon, even if Randemicos is the king, at least that is the impression I get. Though I sometimes make the mistake of just keeping up contact with Glaumring, but then Glaumring does seem happy to just have a conversation.

The default colour is white, and I doubt the Provincia thought to change it immediately, as for Falkirk, well... God knows what they're about, I expected them to pick red after Averoth (?).

Hey at least I change my mind consistantly... What usually happens is I throw out ideas all the time and then when a better idea comes I throw out that one too. I wont stick too something that I know wont work once seeing it from an angle, I think and talk on my feet. Things change fast in war and many of the rulers in Dwilight think way too slow and do not communicate or throw ideas out often. Im an idea man.

In one letter you would decry that you were definitely going to lose, a few minutes later in a second letter you would say the opposite, that kind of thing in every exchange, you had Mendicant sitting there going "wtf" at how bipolar Glaumring seemed to be.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 06:25:23 PM by NoblesseChevaleresque »

NoblesseChevaleresque

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #426: October 25, 2012, 06:22:34 PM »
You are obviously completely ignorant of what Paisly means to the Véinsørmoot. It is the jewel of the Maroccidens, it is the birthplace of Maroccidental culture, civilization, and society. Melodia was born there and started the long tradition of Maroccidental Republics and societies. From there Nobles spread to Terran and the Dragon Isles and eventually nobles passed through Paisly to come to Terran to create Barca.

Furthermore, there is a history of fighting to protect the city from Southern invaders and conquerors. We fought long, drawn out wars against Madina to keep the city when they refused to release their claim on it. Aurvandil taking the city is just ripping open all of the old wounds of Southern Imperialists always trying to impose and conquer in the Maroccidens and the small realms vying to stay alive and keep their land. You are Madina reborn.

It isn't different at all. Sure, it's not technically the "Capital" of any realm. But as much as Candiels is the birthplace of Aurvandil and their culture and their history, Paisly is the same thing, except with an even deeper and longer history and significance, to the entire Maroccidens. There is reason why Terran is fighting so hard for regions that aren't even theirs to begin with.

Literally, conquering Paisly and putting some insulting puppet realm there (and here I thought relations couldn't get any worse) is the worst thing you could have ever done for relations with the Maroccidental realms short of just taking Terran, Barca, and D'Hara off the map.

Yes I sort of mentioned it to Machiavel and Rynn that I didn't know why they were so ... bothered about Paisly and neither of them went into as much detail as you did. As Mendicant said, well he'll always be ignorant if his opponents won't offer him their perspective when asked.

Perth

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #427: October 25, 2012, 06:31:02 PM »
In one letter you would decry that you were definitely going to lose, a few minutes later in a second letter you would say the opposite, that kind of thing in every exchange, you had Mendicant sitting there going "wtf" at how bipolar Glaumring seemed to be.

Welcome to the group.

Now trying dealing with that while fighting a politically high tensioned war alongside him. Phew.

"We are losing. We are winning. We are making peace with Kabrinskia. We signed a Cease Fire. WE ARE INVADING KABRINSKIA WOOOO. !@#$ we are losing. WE ARE TAKING ON THE WORLD!!! Why is everyone backing off of us diplomatically?"
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #428: October 25, 2012, 06:35:22 PM »
I think the important thing to take away from this thread is that, on Dwilight, everybody lies to everyone. I'm serious. It's not an exaggeration. I compare it to Game of Thrones a lot, but it's really worse than that. It's not even that Dwilight looks AWFULLY SIMILAR TO WESTEROS put in front of a mirror:

It's because everybody lies to everyone, and they will slit your throat for even marginal gains in power. It's a truism of Dwilight, and not specific to Luria, although it is perhaps in its freebase form down there.

This is part of why there's such a disconnect between what's being observed IC and what's being offered up OOC.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 06:41:19 PM by Solari »

Daycryn

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #429: October 25, 2012, 06:37:14 PM »
I think the important thing to take away from this thread is that, on Dwilight, everybody lies to everyone.

A gross generalization, and untrue.
Lokenth, Warrior of Arcaea, former Adventurer
Adamir, Lord of Luria Nova

Perth

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #430: October 25, 2012, 06:39:33 PM »
I think the important thing to take away from this thread is that, on Dwilight, everybody lies to everyone. This is part of why there's such a disconnect between what's being observed IC and what's being offered up OOC.

Or at least that Dwilight is the best continent ever and is so much fun because it is constantly dynamic, there aren't the years and years old power structures/blocs/groups, and there is always something interesting or fun going on somewhere on the island.

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #431: October 25, 2012, 06:42:16 PM »
A gross generalization, and untrue.

Liar.

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #432: October 25, 2012, 06:42:51 PM »
I change my mind according to what is going on on the ground, during that war I was talking to Kabrinskia,D'Hara, Terran , Aurvandiil, Morek, Corsanctum, Barca , my own nobles, random nobles , Astrum when they deigned a reply, the Zuma and myself. Sometimes things and ideas change so fast, one minute you see 26k of Terrans going to fight 13k Kabrinskians and you formulate 20 possible outcomes, then you see that army destroyed and you are back to square one. I cannot considering holding to a strategy diplomatically if I know it will fail. During the war our strategy stayed consistant, wage a defensive war of attrition, lose lands up north that were undefendable, send out raiding parties to slowly destroy the Kabrinskian economy , fight close to Asylon. What did people think? That we would march on Astrum , sit in Golden Farrow? We werent waging that type of war, we intended to hunker down and fight Astrum, the largest economy/army in dwilight, plus Kabrinskia in close proximity and fight them into a quagmire. The strategy worked but at what cost? Asylon is poor, over 50000 people died of starvation, our army was shattered, our lands damaged, our cities ransacked. Yet we survived. I proved all the naysayers wrong, that Asylon would fold, that Itau would fall that Astrum and ilk would destroy us, all proved wrong, we learned to fight our first war in BM ever since Dwilights founding I havent fought more than monsters and we felt it was time to make trouble and have fun. I proved that Asylonian nobles are strong and we work together against all odds, so yeah you can make fun of me, call me crazy, but it takes a lot of balls to do what I did and survive.
We live lives in beautiful lies...

Lefanis

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #433: October 25, 2012, 06:52:03 PM »
What is Freedom? - ye can tell; That which slavery is, too well; For its very name has grown; To an echo of your own

T'is to work and have such pay; As just keeps life from day to day; In your limbs, as in a cell; For the tyrants' use to dwell

Daycryn

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #434: October 25, 2012, 07:02:20 PM »
Lokenth, Warrior of Arcaea, former Adventurer
Adamir, Lord of Luria Nova