Author Topic: The Marrocidenian war  (Read 547152 times)

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Re: The Marrocidenian war
« Reply #735: November 23, 2012, 02:12:30 AM »
Damn, that pumpkin pie was good!
I knew you should have gave directions, maybe next year lol.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

NoblesseChevaleresque

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #736: November 23, 2012, 02:15:51 AM »
Sure, we could have begun a huge war with SA, and gotten backstabbed by the Lurias and Aurvandil. We'd be in such a GREAT position right now. You are right, we totally should have declared war on Astrum. What on earth were we thinking?

Interesting you say that when Mendicant said to Machiavel he'd support you unconditionally against the Luria's and S.A. exactly during the time when Asylon was war with Kabrinskia.

You should have declared war, Barca would probably never have been invaded by Aurvandil (As we would have been supporting you) and D'Hara would have been saved from its massive collapse from famine with its markets open to Aurvandil during the longest winter.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #737: November 23, 2012, 02:17:06 AM »
Interesting you say that when Mendicant said to Machiavel he'd support you unconditionally against the Luria's and S.A. exactly during the time when Asylon was war with Kabrinskia.

You should have declared war, Barca would probably never have been invaded by Aurvandil (As we would have been supporting you) and D'Hara would have been saved from its massive collapse from famine with its markets open to Aurvandil during the longest winter.

Right, because Aurvandil could TOTALLY have prevented foreign armies from hitting us...

Or, lemme think a second... No, absolutely not. Too many realms in reach of D'Hara, offering ourselves as meat shields would be suicide.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

NoblesseChevaleresque

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #738: November 23, 2012, 02:19:31 AM »
Right, because Aurvandil could TOTALLY have prevented foreign armies from hitting us...

Or, lemme think a second... No, absolutely not. Too many realms in reach of D'Hara, offering ourselves as meat shields would be suicide.

Oh you mean Aurvandil with its 35kcs mobile army and D'Hara with its four cities, one stronghold and two townslands, all of them with fortifications, plus the D'Haran army. Oh yeah, it would have been impossible to make a competent defence of D'Hara.

And we wouldn't need to defend you if we marched are our armies to war against your enemies, besides which, as you even said yourself realms would think twice about picking a fight with D'Hara so long as the strongest military on the continent was willing to defend them.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #739: November 23, 2012, 02:33:15 AM »
It's an interesting idea, but I doubt it would have worked. The logistics are just all wrong for that kind of thing.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

NoblesseChevaleresque

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #740: November 23, 2012, 02:34:26 AM »
It's an interesting idea, but I doubt it would have worked. The logistics are just all wrong for that kind of thing.

Well, if D'Hara cannot even raise a competent defence of a large number of fortifications with a quite vast wealth, with large amounts of allied support, then they deserve to fall quite simply.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #741: November 23, 2012, 02:43:19 AM »
Oh you mean Aurvandil with its 35kcs mobile army and D'Hara with its four cities, one stronghold and two townslands, all of them with fortifications, plus the D'Haran army. Oh yeah, it would have been impossible to make a competent defence of D'Hara.

And we wouldn't need to defend you if we marched are our armies to war against your enemies, besides which, as you even said yourself realms would think twice about picking a fight with D'Hara so long as the strongest military on the continent was willing to defend them.

Quite the contrary. Siding with you would have put huge bulleyes on our heads.

35k CS, sure... needs to refit every now and then. The north can strike through Port Raviel, though Port Nebel, and through the East. The Lurias can also strike through the east and Port Nebel. Sea routes couldn't be scouted over, we had spies. They could have easily stricken the least defended city, and started a TO to deny walls before a defense can be organized.

Yea, attacking the North would have been a great idea.

Not to mention that both Aurvandil and Asylon seem to have made the mistake of believing that because we were anti-allison, we were anti-SA, or that because we were anti-hegemony, we were anti-SA.

If you, even for a moment, thought that Machiavel wanted to see SA defeated, you were making yourself quite colorful delusions. Aurvandil hegemony would be a million times worse: at least SA doesn't have robotic activity, unnaturally large resources and armies, hive-like behavior, and pompous heterogeneity.

We can deal with SA without being SA ourselves, the only ones who got whacked by them deserved it. When one of them attacked without the others, it was isolated and defeated. I've got no problem dealing with this.

You'e just mistakenly viewed D'Haran anti-hegemonism as anti-SA, when the reality is far from that. Bunch of our nobles are SA, and we are quite happy to have them.

Well, if D'Hara cannot even raise a competent defence of a large number of fortifications with a quite vast wealth, with large amounts of allied support, then they deserve to fall quite simply.

Wether we deserve it or not, forgive us for preferring survival.

Much of our wealth was because we really didn't spend much of armed forces. If we had to buy food AND pay for troops, we wouldn't have been nearly as rich as we were. Heck, just the food alone bankrupted us a few times.

And you don't seem to realize that these sea routes allow for easy travel, while also granting a "border" that enables TOs. Sure, TOs are possible almost everywhere now, but there's no landing penalty with these sea routes. Focusing their forces while our allies would be refitting would have allowed them to strike at us quite easily. And if they hit Port Nebel by surprise, win a battle, then they could have started a TO, denied us of our walls, and cut our realm in half, preventing us from travelling from one side to the other. Effectively dooming the whole realm.

D'Hara could have been wiped off many times in the past, had people put their heads to it, and without all that much effort. The removal of the sea routes will remove this great weakness, even the current set-up kinda screws up the infrastructures to be built for the Paisly-Raviel connection.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #742: November 23, 2012, 03:04:40 AM »
Asylon isn't nor wasn't anti-SA. We were anti Kabrinskian aggression and we knew/thought that once it started Astrum would back them up. So, remember when I told Terran/Vellos not to start a war with Kabrinskia? Yeah... He started the war... Remember I was one telling you both to tone down the anti-SA rhetoric and not turn the war into a holy war? Yeah... That was Asylon. I'm sure you forgot that part. I was in SA until I left it near the end of the war mainly because I felt that it was time for me to move on and do something else for a while. I had already ran kingdoms into the ground, why not a religion?

The annoying thing was how many times I told Vellos not to attack Kabrinskia and what does he do?

The annoying part was us forging a secret alliance that would have been actuated if Kabrinskia came to attack you.

The annoying part is Kabrinskia calling in the Zuma and Asylon telling Vellos that we would sign a false peace with Kabrinskia and not abandon Terran to fight the Zuma alone. We were regrouping our troops and believed the Zuma would attack Terran so we surpise attacked Kabrinskia and found out the Zuma were merely passing by. During that little lull I remember the 26k Terran troops being decimated by 11k Kabrinskian troops...face palm.

The annoying part is that the entire time the war was going on I had Aurvandiils support for the northern campaign and Vellos couldn't bear to side with Mendicant. I remember D'hara was all on board for Aurvandiil but couldn't bear to tell fat head Vellos to stop being arrogant and dumb and let Aurvandiil ship troops through D'Hara.

I was piecing together one of the largest alliances Dwilight had ever seen and both of you failed big time. You are puppets and paupers. Once Aurvandiil found that the alliance with the Moot wasn't going to work they went and attacked Barca... Basically Vellos and Chenier brought this entirely on themselves. All because of short-sighted wishy washy shifty blindness...

I grew up playing AXIS&ALLIES, RISK, Battletech and a myriad of other strategy games... foo, im like a walking tactician gangster old school mofo...ya'll don wan mess wit da glam yo
We live lives in beautiful lies...

NoblesseChevaleresque

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #743: November 23, 2012, 03:07:38 AM »
Quite the contrary. Siding with you would have put huge bulleyes on our heads.

35k CS, sure... needs to refit every now and then. The north can strike through Port Raviel, though Port Nebel, and through the East. The Lurias can also strike through the east and Port Nebel. Sea routes couldn't be scouted over, we had spies. They could have easily stricken the least defended city, and started a TO to deny walls before a defense can be organized.

So you planned on a permanent existence of pointlessness? You exist because you trade to feed yourselves, and you exist so you can trade. Too afraid of war or losing territory or your wealth, your vast collection of cities your biggest restraint and weakness. What is the point in having land and wealth if you're just going to sit in peace perpetually out of fear of losing it? And of course, you're quick to argue how impossible it would be to attack the north, but you wasted no time at all in attacking the south, and still managed a decent defence against the Lurian's when they did invade.

Not to mention that both Aurvandil and Asylon seem to have made the mistake of believing that because we were anti-allison, we were anti-SA, or that because we were anti-hegemony, we were anti-SA.

I never assumed that at all, you did however imply you were that ways inclined when you commented on how you would much rather see Aurvandil fight to defeat S.A. than fight some one else and asked Aurvandil for a defensive alliance in regards to the threat from the north and the east.

If you, even for a moment, thought that Machiavel wanted to see SA defeated, you were making yourself quite colorful delusions. Aurvandil hegemony would be a million times worse: at least SA doesn't have robotic activity, unnaturally large resources and armies, hive-like behavior, and pompous heterogeneity.

Lol well I'm not sure what world you live in, but S.A. does have unnaturally large resources and armies, considering they own more than half a continent, the largest continent in the game as well. But no, I'm sure Aurvandil with its modest income and economy is far, far larger in resources than S.A. could hope to be. Aurvandil doesn't have hive like behaviour, and if you were the least bit clued in you would know that by now, nor do we have robotic activity, considering how much we fail to move competently right before your very eyes, which we even showed in the battle of Paisland this turn, and the previous campaign against Terran. But as ever, you like to tout and already disproved lie to try and make some sort of a veiled accusation against us. If we had robotic activity, would our regions revolt for lack of lords work? No. Would our regions starve because lords forget to transfer food? No. If we had robotic activity would we frequently have to make as much as four turn movements before a battle just so every moves in time? No. I could go on, but I'm sure the fact of the matter isn't actually relevant as far as careless remarks go.

We can deal with SA without being SA ourselves, the only ones who got whacked by them deserved it. When one of them attacked without the others, it was isolated and defeated. I've got no problem dealing with this.

And I am sure you believe that, it's convenient to convince yourself they deserved it so you can turn a blind eye to the excesses of the church and feel as though you have done nothing wrong. (This is all in regards to IC, not OOC in case you think this is a remark upon yourself and not your character).

You'e just mistakenly viewed D'Haran anti-hegemonism as anti-SA, when the reality is far from that. Bunch of our nobles are SA, and we are quite happy to have them.

No, we assumed your anti-hegemony-ism was actually that, opposed to hegemonies on principle. Evidently not, you just like to declare your enemies hegemonies on no basis whatsoever, such as you do to Aurvandil, whilst looking at real hegemonies and going "Oh, they're pretty all right actually, I mean they mass war anyone who so much as looks at them with a squint in midday sun, but still".

Much of our wealth was because we really didn't spend much of armed forces. If we had to buy food AND pay for troops, we wouldn't have been nearly as rich as we were. Heck, just the food alone bankrupted us a few times.

My comment on your wealth was in regards to sheer gross income you must have from four cities and two townslands, all the cities being the wealth of Candiels or higher, and the Townslands not exactly shabby either. Under a competent economic administration you should have a vast treasury stored up, like S.A. does, though obviously nowhere near as large.

And you don't seem to realize that these sea routes allow for easy travel, while also granting a "border" that enables TOs. Sure, TOs are possible almost everywhere now, but there's no landing penalty with these sea routes. Focusing their forces while our allies would be refitting would have allowed them to strike at us quite easily. And if they hit Port Nebel by surprise, win a battle, then they could have started a TO, denied us of our walls, and cut our realm in half, preventing us from travelling from one side to the other. Effectively dooming the whole realm.

I am perfectly aware of how powerful these new sea routes are, considering the enemies of Aurvandil managed to bring south armies from every realm in the north in what appeared to be a weeks worth of travel when it should have taken far, far longer and at much greater equipment damage.

D'Hara could have been wiped off many times in the past, had people put their heads to it, and without all that much effort. The removal of the sea routes will remove this great weakness, even the current set-up kinda screws up the infrastructures to be built for the Paisly-Raviel connection.

We shall see how Aurvandil fairs then.

NoblesseChevaleresque

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #744: November 23, 2012, 03:12:23 AM »
Asylon isn't nor wasn't anti-SA. We were anti Kabrinskian aggression and we knew/thought that once it started Astrum would back them up. So, remember when I told Terran/Vellos not to start a war with Kabrinskia? Yeah... He started the war... Remember I was one telling you both to tone down the anti-SA rhetoric and not turn the war into a holy war? Yeah... That was Asylon. I'm sure you forgot that part. I was in SA until I left it near the end of the war mainly because I felt that it was time for me to move on and do something else for a while. I had already ran kingdoms into the ground, why not a religion?

The annoying thing was how many times I told Vellos not to attack Kabrinskia and what does he do?

The annoying part was us forging a secret alliance that would have been actuated if Kabrinskia came to attack you.

The annoying part is Kabrinskia calling in the Zuma and Asylon telling Vellos that we would sign a false peace with Kabrinskia and not abandon Terran to fight the Zuma alone. We were regrouping our troops and believed the Zuma would attack Terran so we surpise attacked Kabrinskia and found out the Zuma were merely passing by. During that little lull I remember the 26k Terran troops being decimated by 11k Kabrinskian troops...face palm.

The annoying part is that the entire time the war was going on I had Aurvandiils support for the northern campaign and Vellos couldn't bear to side with Mendicant. I remember D'hara was all on board for Aurvandiil but couldn't bear to tell fat head Vellos to stop being arrogant and dumb and let Aurvandiil ship troops through D'Hara.

I was piecing together one of the largest alliances Dwilight had ever seen and both of you failed big time. You are puppets and paupers. Once Aurvandiil found that the alliance with the Moot wasn't going to work they went and attacked Barca... Basically Vellos and Chenier brought this entirely on themselves. All because of short-sighted wishy washy shifty blindness...

I grew up playing AXIS&ALLIES, RISK, Battletech and a myriad of other strategy games... foo, im like a walking tactician gangster old school mofo...ya'll don wan mess wit da glam yo

Don't worry, D'Hara are good at scapegoating the realms they make under the table agreements with. They did it to you, and they did it to me, both in regards to S.A. as well.

But yes, I would have much rather marched north to fight alongside Asylon then get caught up in what is actually a quite pointless war against the Veinsormoot, I'm still not entirely sure why we're even fighting other than they didn't want to sign peace when it was offered.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #745: November 23, 2012, 03:52:10 AM »

I grew up playing Risk!, Axis&Allies, and Diplomacy. What's your point?

You assume we wanted a continent-wide war. We didn't.

As for Terran going to war against Kabrinskia, yea, we didn't like that either, as you very well know. Guess what? D'Hara didn't send any troops to help Terran either. If a federated ally can't force us into a war we didn't want, why did you assume we'd want to be forced into a war by Asylon?

D'Hara didn't want war with anyone. It did everything it could to avoid war with Kabrinskia, same with Aurvandil. Except that Aurvandil forced our hand by attacking a federated ally, putting the Treaty of the Maroccidens into play. Something Kabrinskia had not done.

You assume we are shortsighted, because you confuse your own objectives and ambitions for ours. Having a behemoth on our doorstep may be in Asylon's best interests, it certainly isn't in the 'moot's.

So you planned on a permanent existence of pointlessness? You exist because you trade to feed yourselves, and you exist so you can trade. Too afraid of war or losing territory or your wealth, your vast collection of cities your biggest restraint and weakness. What is the point in having land and wealth if you're just going to sit in peace perpetually out of fear of losing it? And of course, you're quick to argue how impossible it would be to attack the north, but you wasted no time at all in attacking the south, and still managed a decent defence against the Lurian's when they did invade.

You assume all realms should be the same, and that war is the only possible venture in this game. BM would be rather bland if everyone acted the same way, and sought the same thing. That if you want something done, you have to do it yourself.

D'Hara's vulnerability, combined with its great wealth, is precisely why I settled up there in the first place. And why I'm so attached to it. D'Hara is forced to spend a great deal of attention to its diplomacy, as well as to its food management. No other realm has to bother as much as D'Hara. For many people, that'd be a total bore. However, some of us actually enjoy this. Makes things quite different from the other continents.

As for attacking the South, we were treaty-bound to do so. And as predicted, getting involved in a war blew up with the Lurians backstabbing us. As we always feared they would should we send troops abroad. However, we did not attack "the South". We attacked Aurvandil, who is limited to a small chunk of the South-West. Even if Falkirk had joined in, they'd still be attacking via the same city. It's nowhere as comparable as risking invasions from a ton of realms over a bunch of sea routes. As for the Lurias, I'm still amazed at how they failed to kill us. Perhaps they overestimated us. I don't know. From what I've seen since my return, their performance is considerably sub-par for the resources they have. Whereas Aurvandil manages a whole lot with very little, they manage very little with a whole lot. We shouldn't have stood a chance against average performance on their part.

I never assumed that at all, you did however imply you were that ways inclined when you commented on how you would much rather see Aurvandil fight to defeat S.A. than fight some one else and asked Aurvandil for a defensive alliance in regards to the threat from the north and the east.

See Aurvandil fight SA, sure. To defeat Kabrinskia, at the time, sure. Despite your forces, we'd never have expected you to be able to conquer SA. We wouldn't have seen it as desirable had we thought you capable of it, either. We've made a bunch of defensive alliances in the past with a bunch of people. Pretty amazing how, until the Treaty of the Maroccidens forced us to defend Barca, every time our partners decided to go launch a war on their own, for some reason expecting our support in their suicide campaign.

Lol well I'm not sure what world you live in, but S.A. does have unnaturally large resources and armies, considering they own more than half a continent, the largest continent in the game as well. But no, I'm sure Aurvandil with its modest income and economy is far, far larger in resources than S.A. could hope to be. Aurvandil doesn't have hive like behaviour, and if you were the least bit clued in you would know that by now, nor do we have robotic activity, considering how much we fail to move competently right before your very eyes, which we even showed in the battle of Paisland this turn, and the previous campaign against Terran. But as ever, you like to tout and already disproved lie to try and make some sort of a veiled accusation against us. If we had robotic activity, would our regions revolt for lack of lords work? No. Would our regions starve because lords forget to transfer food? No. If we had robotic activity would we frequently have to make as much as four turn movements before a battle just so every moves in time? No. I could go on, but I'm sure the fact of the matter isn't actually relevant as far as careless remarks go.

SA owns half the continent and nobles, or roughly so. It's NORMAL that they get this income and armies. Aurvandil owns a bunch of rurals with a tiny city, and they somehow had the largest armies a bunch of times in history.

You seem to think your movement rates are bad... I question how many realms you've played in. In a bunch I've played in, or observed, you'd need twice as long to get half the movement rates.

And I am sure you believe that, it's convenient to convince yourself they deserved it so you can turn a blind eye to the excesses of the church and feel as though you have done nothing wrong. (This is all in regards to IC, not OOC in case you think this is a remark upon yourself and not your character).

You are obviously out of touch with SA. Heck, OOC, I'm rather impressed SA got so big. Kudos to them. They could have done things a lot differently to stifle fun. They haven't. Quite the contrary.

No, we assumed your anti-hegemony-ism was actually that, opposed to hegemonies on principle. Evidently not, you just like to declare your enemies hegemonies on no basis whatsoever, such as you do to Aurvandil, whilst looking at real hegemonies and going "Oh, they're pretty all right actually, I mean they mass war anyone who so much as looks at them with a squint in midday sun, but still".

There are four major powers on the continent: SA, Luria, the 'moot, and Aurvandil. SA doesn't threaten us with total destruction. Only Aurvandil and Luria does. If Aurvandil hadn't been so hell-bent on picking on Barca, it could have remained a power in its corner. SA didn't really care enough for you guys at the start, neither did we, neither did the Lurias. You had world-grade armies, a bloc on your own. There was a kind of balance. All of the blocs could pose a serious threat to the other in some way or another. But if any one of the bloc annexes another... then everything changes. SA saw this: if you annexed the 'moot, they'd be in great trouble. The Lurias now see this as well. The 'moot would have reacted the same had you threatened to annex another bloc. Being anti-hegemonies isn't about raging against the big players, it's about trying to keep all of the foreign blocs at about the same strength, so that if any of them betrays you, you only need to rely on one of the other blocs to defeat them.

My comment on your wealth was in regards to sheer gross income you must have from four cities and two townslands, all the cities being the wealth of Candiels or higher, and the Townslands not exactly shabby either. Under a competent economic administration you should have a vast treasury stored up, like S.A. does, though obviously nowhere near as large.

We did have a ton of gold on hand. I personally gave over 10 000 gold to Gornak when I left for my honeymoon. No idea how all that gold was spent, though, I wasn't there. I'm kind of surprised we didn't do any better with these funds... And I know many others had significant wealth as well. You are correct on this point, though.

I am perfectly aware of how powerful these new sea routes are, considering the enemies of Aurvandil managed to bring south armies from every realm in the north in what appeared to be a weeks worth of travel when it should have taken far, far longer and at much greater equipment damage.

No. You are thinking of sea zones. I'm talking about sea routes, the ones about to disappear. If the enemies disembarked in Candiels by the sea zones, odds are they'll suffer considerable losses because of the landing, if not being pushed back altogether. With the sea routes, attacking by sea was like attacking from land, except scouts couldn't detect the movement. Now D'Hara will be vulnerable via more regions, but at least attackers will take casualties when they land, they'll be forced to pay a bunch for travel and provisions (to come and go), and won't be able to block travel on our otherwise linear realm.

But yes, I would have much rather marched north to fight alongside Asylon then get caught up in what is actually a quite pointless war against the Veinsormoot, I'm still not entirely sure why we're even fighting other than they didn't want to sign peace when it was offered.

All you had to do was not attack Barca. The unthinkable!

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #746: November 23, 2012, 03:53:38 AM »
Exactly... the Chenier and Vellos fiasco wars it should be called.

Wait a minute... Astrum/Morek/Corsanctum/Iashular/Libero/Terran/D'Hara and whoever else aren't a hegemony but Aurvandiil and an Asylonian priest preaching in Paisly are the greatest threat to Dwilight.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 03:58:04 AM by Glaumring »

egamma

« Reply #747: November 23, 2012, 05:23:36 AM »
So you planned on a permanent existence of pointlessness? You exist because you trade to feed yourselves, and you exist so you can trade. Too afraid of war or losing territory or your wealth, your vast collection of cities your biggest restraint and weakness. What is the point in having land and wealth if you're just going to sit in peace perpetually out of fear of losing it?

It's pointless to live a Donald Trump-like existence? To travel the continent, seeking food and conversation? We worked hard to settle these wild lands, fighting off monsters and undead. We earned it, and then we worked to keep what we have, and we're going to keep it all.

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #748: November 23, 2012, 02:37:03 PM »
You are entitled to nothing in BM...live by the sword, die by the sword.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #749: November 23, 2012, 02:46:45 PM »
It's pointless to live a Donald Trump-like existence? To travel the continent, seeking food and conversation? We worked hard to settle these wild lands, fighting off monsters and undead. We earned it, and then we worked to keep what we have, and we're going to keep it all.

Exactly. Mendicant proved that he had no understanding of D'Hara whatsoever, when he proposed the creation of a realm in Paisly as a BOON for us that we should be grateful for.

If D'Hara had wanted a separate entity there, we'd have formed one ages ago. It's not the opportunities or the propositions that were lacking. Coast to Coast (in a kind of opposite way to Canada's/US's) has been D'Hara's Manifest Destiny for quite some time. Even in our most pitiful days barely holding onto a region or two, we began dreaming of an age we'd have ports on both continents, wealth abound, and ties with influential people from all over the world. This last year, we achieved many things we never actually believed we'd be able to years before. D'Hara was on a high when the last great starvation occurred.

Aurvandil may live to fight, but that doesn't mean everyone else does. Or that if they do want to fight, it's to somehow prove something.

Trade was a great vector for diplomacy. Other nations had something we needed, and we could magically turn their excess rotting food into piles of gold. You may think that BM is just about CS and moving an army at the same pace. But many of us play BM for different reasons.