Author Topic: The Marrocidenian war  (Read 547396 times)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: The Marrocidenian war
« Reply #765: November 23, 2012, 08:19:31 PM »
You say that like you have any control in Lurian politics. You don't. You only hear that LN might attack Aurvandil. They may or they may not. With the levels of military organization they've shown, barca would be a mighty enemy for them.

It'd free up D'Hara, regardless of whether LN attacks or not. And even if they declare war but scarcely send armies, that again more war protests hurting Aurvandil.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #766: November 23, 2012, 10:04:52 PM »
It'd free up D'Hara, regardless of whether LN attacks or not. And even if they declare war but scarcely send armies, that again more war protests hurting Aurvandil.
Plus, if they timed their attacks, they could wreak havoc on Aurvandil while they are off fighting up north. A two front war is much harder regardless of the second fronts military strength.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

NoblesseChevaleresque

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #767: November 23, 2012, 11:22:38 PM »
Indeed Aurvandil has done little damage to the Veinsormoot, and for a reason. Up until now in the war we were determined not actually destroy the realms we face, which is why we repeatedly declined to go and destroy D'Hara, or to burn down Terran. As Mendicant at least had faith in a peace process and you don't generate good will by burning the hell out of your opponent whilst offering them peace. The same with the Provincia, if we were fighting to win we wouldn't have let it die, we would have marched some of our forces and garrisoned maybe 15kcs behind the fortress, which would pretty much roadblock any attacking army the moot could raise. Then again, if we were fighting to win we would never have founded the Provincia, we would have kept the nobles in estates in Aurvandil, to maximise income efficiency and the amount of troop leaders we have.

But that has rather changed, Aurvandil will actually fight to win now, we will have no reservations in making "Madina" out of D'Hara. At any rate, there is almost a guarantee of survival, I am entirely confident that even if Aurvandil is reduced to our core regions (Candiels, Candiels Fields, Agl and Zerujil) we would be able to pull of an excellent come back and ensure our continued survival. I don't see how our enemies can win when their current campaigning has been so lack lustre and entirely reliant upon Aurvandil bothering to march to face them in battle in a region of their choosing. The difference is, I'm betting, that Aurvandil can actually competently launch an offensive campaign but D'Hara and Terran can't, and that's why they don't. If they had an ounce of instinct they would have launched a campaign into Aurvandil the moment we started having mass revolts from war protests, that would have genuinely hurt us. But instead they did nothing and eventually attacked the Provincia, as if it served a purpose other than to give Aurvandil more time.

The Provincia rather excellently gained Aurvandil as much time as we needed, when we needed it to recover, and in the end that's all the realm was going to be good for on a purely strategic level.

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #768: November 23, 2012, 11:39:50 PM »
I wish I could post secret predictions and have them pop open one by one as they came to pass...
We live lives in beautiful lies...

NoblesseChevaleresque

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #769: November 23, 2012, 11:42:40 PM »
Aurvandil is actually a lot of fun to play in. I feel like it is battlemaster's rome, or atleast could be. Our need for efficiency and infantry heavy armies certainly lean towards that. The rest of Dwilight is our Carthage. As a people most of the characters are pretty cool, some are just log in and play every day types, but a lot aren't and will voice their opinions and I feel more informed about world politics than in any other realm i play in and that was even as a knight. I've actually challenged Mendicant IC on a few things and he seems to consider your ideas even if you are just a lowly knight.

Our military society is hardly boring it's just, as you say, not for everyone.

In a way, Aurvandil forces people to voice their opinions and question Mendicant, as we've removed all other means of political participation or personal advancement in a political or career sense, if the people want to have a say or investment in how Aurvandil operates, or the policies they run then they have only to speak up and they'll be heard, but they can't run things like political campaigns, elections, political lobbying as a means of getting what they want done, as all of that is considered treasonous. Which I think has quite nicely removed all the sort of personal disputes, political careerism and self serving endeavours that crippled the Madina Republic. But at the same time, our nobles are quite "Free" politically, religiously and ethnically, and hold equal influence on the direction Aurvandil takes as anyone else in the Commonwealth does. Everyone gets listened to and considered equally without pretence, whilst are regularly presented with the opportunity to voice their thoughts on what is happening, or going to happen. Mendicant is the political leviathan, and everyone else stands equally before him.

I'd like to think this has encouraged a culture in Aurvandil where you separate duty from politics, and the hold the former as much more important. Which is what Mendicant set out to do when he founded Aurvandil.

As soon as Luria Nova defeats Luria Vesperi, things will get harder for Aurvandil...

Or it will get easier.

Lychaon

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #770: November 24, 2012, 12:08:28 AM »
You don't need to roleplay your character all the time, so it's not necessary to pretend that you knew what was about to happen at any time. That purely fits an absolutist king, but it's not so bad to admit some false paces. You show the Provincia as a masterpiece of successful politics, but even for me, that haven't been in this game for long yet, there're some incongruities.

I think basically if you didn't set that garrison is whether you needed to effectively to lose it to justify a funny massive offensive over the Veinsormoot, or you just thought that you established so nicely your neutrality conditions that everyone would shut up and applause.

The first reason could fit with the aggressive ropleplaying you've played towards some other players, with the "raped and beaten noble Florence" matter. This is quite a glimpse of those Roman politics that some of you think accurate to Aurvandil. But it doesn't too much when you like to use words such as "honour" in your language very often.

It shouldn't bother you so much to hear complaints if you decide to invade a region which revolted from another realm to set a colony which could be a direct menace to its neighbours. If Barca had your military strength and would take over Celtiberia when you lost control over it (many times recently), would you just shut up? Moreover, I'm not sure but I think you did just like that with this region some time ago, didn't you?

I have faith that the Veinsormoot will stand long enough to avoid the destruction you're planning. Luckily enough, maybe the Astroists could decide to put down Aurvandilian ambitions a little bit, or maybe Luria has something to say as Chénier wrote. You never now, but in such a game like this, with no winning formulae, a good period for a realm probably finishes one way or another.

NoblesseChevaleresque

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #771: November 24, 2012, 12:28:29 AM »
You show the Provincia as a masterpiece of successful politics, but even for me, that haven't been in this game for long yet, there're some incongruities.

The Provincia was a situation of... if it lives, we stand to gain, if it falls, we stand to gain. Not so much a situation of a masterful piece of politics, just one we could profit from in either outcome.

I think basically if you didn't set that garrison is whether you needed to effectively to lose it to justify a funny massive offensive over the Veinsormoot, or you just thought that you established so nicely your neutrality conditions that everyone would shut up and applause.

To be honest, we just couldn't be bothered to defend the Provincia. It wasn't worth the time, effort or resources, and particularly not when Aurvandil was in dire straights. Really, we'd rather not have to fight D'Hara, it makes our job of bringing down the Terran threat far easier, and quicker, and D'Hara isn't much of a threat to Aurvandil on its own, though I am sure they aren't incapable of some degree of malice if left to their own devices long enough.

The first reason could fit with the aggressive ropleplaying you've played towards some other players, with the "raped and beaten noble Florence" matter. This is quite a glimpse of those Roman politics that some of you think accurate to Aurvandil. But it doesn't too much when you like to use words such as "honour" in your language very often.

Lady Florence roleplayed the whole, almost raped stuff, to Mendicant and a few others and it happened to fit quite nicely.

It shouldn't bother you so much to hear complaints if you decide to invade a region which revolted from another realm to set a colony which could be a direct menace to its neighbours. If Barca had your military strength and would take over Celtiberia when you lost control over it (many times recently), would you just shut up? Moreover, I'm not sure but I think you did just like that with this region some time ago, didn't you?

Well, the Provincia went out of its way to make it clear they wouldn't be a direct menace to their neighbours, but I don't think anyone cared. And no, Celtiberia changed allegiance to Aurvandil with a few other regions because some of the lords were sick of the tyranny and corruption in the Barcan Republic.

I have faith that the Veinsormoot will stand long enough to avoid the destruction you're planning. Luckily enough, maybe the Astroists could decide to put down Aurvandilian ambitions a little bit, or maybe Luria has something to say as Chénier wrote. You never now, but in such a game like this, with no winning formulae, a good period for a realm probably finishes one way or another.

Well it's good you have faith. It'll be an interesting fight and the deck is stacked quite highly in the favour of the Moot so it'll be interesting to see the end result.

As for Luria Nova, if they invade Aurvandil, well that is just... dreary. The war has already been dogpiled onto rather a bit excessively.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #772: November 24, 2012, 02:38:10 AM »
Consider it a challenge, or a testament to your military prowes, or even your diplomatic failure.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Lanyon

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #773: November 24, 2012, 02:48:42 AM »
having 181/400 of the nobles on dwilight at war with us is all the challenge I like thank you! we don't need to put another 50 on top of that lol

egamma

« Reply #774: November 24, 2012, 05:35:24 AM »
Lady Florence roleplayed the whole, almost raped stuff, to Mendicant and a few others and it happened to fit quite nicely.

It is fine to roleplay that your character is almost raped. It is not okay to say that another character incited the rape, without their permission.

http://wiki.battlemaster.org/wiki/RP_Primer
7. Roleplaying your Character
Don't RP other peoples' characters for them. This is a form of "powerplaying" and happens when, for example, you RP something with a serious effect on another character without their permission. If you are going to hit another noble over the head, steal his purse, sleep with his wife, or otherwise do anything that has more than a passing consequence, either get their permission, or have the game back you up (i.e. if you've just won a duel, then you can certainly RP winning the duel, but you should still work out the specifics of how the duel went with the other player). For example, even if I've just won a duel, I'm not going to RP that the other noble was an awful swordsman and didn't stand a chance unless I've cleared it with his player first.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #775: November 24, 2012, 05:35:35 AM »
having 181/400 of the nobles on dwilight at war with us is all the challenge I like thank you! we don't need to put another 50 on top of that lol
Maybe think about that last point Indirik said
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #776: November 24, 2012, 01:23:58 PM »
It is fine to roleplay that your character is almost raped. It is not okay to say that another character incited the rape, without their permission.

http://wiki.battlemaster.org/wiki/RP_Primer
7. Roleplaying your Character
Don't RP other peoples' characters for them. This is a form of "powerplaying" and happens when, for example, you RP something with a serious effect on another character without their permission. If you are going to hit another noble over the head, steal his purse, sleep with his wife, or otherwise do anything that has more than a passing consequence, either get their permission, or have the game back you up (i.e. if you've just won a duel, then you can certainly RP winning the duel, but you should still work out the specifics of how the duel went with the other player). For example, even if I've just won a duel, I'm not going to RP that the other noble was an awful swordsman and didn't stand a chance unless I've cleared it with his player first.

Indeed, I find Aurvandilian roleplays to be extremely distasteful.

How would you like that I RPed that her guards raped me when I was emprisonned? Or that your troops are raping children in Paisland to help the TO? Because if you keep up that !@#$ty roleplaying, I'm going to start doing that.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Nosferatus

• Testers
  • Mighty Duke
  • Too weird to live, too rare to die
    • View Profile
« Reply #777: November 24, 2012, 01:54:16 PM »
Indeed, I find Aurvandilian roleplays to be extremely distasteful.

How would you like that I RPed that her guards raped me when I was emprisonned? Or that your troops are raping children in Paisland to help the TO? Because if you keep up that !@#$ty roleplaying, I'm going to start doing that.

The more intense the conflict thus becomes, doesn't make that the game much more fun?
Formerly playing the Nosferatus and Bhrantan Family.
Currently playing the Polytus Family in: Gotland, Madina, Astrum, Outer Tilog

Lychaon

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #778: November 24, 2012, 02:11:20 PM »
The more intense the conflict thus becomes, doesn't make that the game much more fun?

If you're roleplaying your character as a villain, maybe you don't mind another person roleplays him that way. If you like to show him as somebody with noble manners rather than a sanguinary with no morality, maybe you do mind.

Personally I think roleplay should help to add flavour and fun to the game, not to create exaltation attributing murderous attitudes to the characters when there's a war involved. Of course in the real word there have happened (and keep on happening) awful barbarities in war times. But if we want to play our characters as if they were gentlemen, we should avoid that kind of talking.

In my opinion, that's another thing that should make a difference between BattleMaster players from shabby players that use distasteful language in other several RPGs.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #779: November 24, 2012, 02:17:51 PM »

It isn't about intense IC battles. If I had RPed that I sent mobs to rape her, and that they had RPed that they had send troops to burn every woman's faces they encountered, then that'd be fine.

If they RP that I sent mobs to rape her, and I RP that they sent troops to burn every woman's face, then that just creates OOC frustration.

Machiavel is generally against torture, and doesn't believe in such tactics as sending mobs to rape Florence. He's also quite merciless, however, and in reality he'd have no second-thought about sending mobs to behead anyone who would attempt such a thing in his name. He wanted his rule to Paisly remade, it was not about Florence in any way, and he certainly wouldn't have put his reputation on the line for someone as unworthy as her.

Same for Barca. I doubt they RP as living in mud huts.

It's a trend that Aurvandil is developing. They think themselves as gods, and they think it gives them rights to RP others as they see fit.