Author Topic: The Marrocidenian war  (Read 547308 times)

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
Re: The Marrocidenian war
« Reply #780: November 24, 2012, 03:17:40 PM »
Yeah but everyone knows Barcans live in mud huts... ;)
We live lives in beautiful lies...

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #781: November 24, 2012, 03:23:27 PM »
IMO, if you stir up a peasant mob, I don't see too much wrong with the other person doing some impromptu RP with how that mob acts. It is, after all, a peasant mob. Just because you started the mob doesn't mean you control each and every single one of the thousands of peasants in it. The mob getting a little out of control, and committing wanton acts of violence, is a risk you take when dealing with mobs.

If someone RPd that you had actually sent them out to commit rape on purpose, then that might be crossing the line.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

NoblesseChevaleresque

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #782: November 24, 2012, 04:14:08 PM »
Indeed, I find Aurvandilian roleplays to be extremely distasteful.

How would you like that I RPed that her guards raped me when I was emprisonned? Or that your troops are raping children in Paisland to help the TO? Because if you keep up that !@#$ty roleplaying, I'm going to start doing that.

We haven't roleplayed anything .. and well ... She Did Have Her Guards Rape You In Prison.

NoblesseChevaleresque

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #783: November 24, 2012, 04:15:28 PM »
IMO, if you stir up a peasant mob, I don't see too much wrong with the other person doing some impromptu RP with how that mob acts. It is, after all, a peasant mob. Just because you started the mob doesn't mean you control each and every single one of the thousands of peasants in it. The mob getting a little out of control, and committing wanton acts of violence, is a risk you take when dealing with mobs.

If someone RPd that you had actually sent them out to commit rape on purpose, then that might be crossing the line.

As far as I am aware, it was declared an attempted rape. And when you get an angry mob of fanatical peasants trying violently to drag a woman from her home, well it's rather safe to assume it would escalate to sexual violence and her being beaten to death.

Lychaon

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #784: November 24, 2012, 05:23:09 PM »
She Did Have Her Guards Rape You In Prison.

This is an example of how somebody RP two someone else's characters. In this case, it seems for a different reason from adding flavour or fun to the game, as it's intended to humiliate someone else's character.

As far as I am aware, it was declared an attempted rape. And when you get an angry mob of fanatical peasants trying violently to drag a woman from her home, well it's rather safe to assume it would escalate to sexual violence and her being beaten to death.

If Chénier finds distasteful the roleplaying that you and other players have played, I guess it's because he doesn't feel identified with all the raping thing, and didn't roleplayed that the mob were trying to rape Florence.

I think we shouldn't use that kind of RP. Maybe we could think that a medieval angry mob would have raped or beaten a lady. But you can't make just a simulation feature of a game in which many other players should enjoy. Every player should avoid that kind of RP, whether it's related to a character, or just the peasants in the game, with raped children and that sort of things. We can just assume there's another kind of interesting RP apart from this, rather than justify it at all cost.

One thing is rivalry among players, let's try to think more often OOC and not humiliate rivals.

NoblesseChevaleresque

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #785: November 24, 2012, 05:36:01 PM »
This is an example of how somebody RP two someone else's characters. In this case, it seems for a different reason from adding flavour or fun to the game, as it's intended to humiliate someone else's character.

If Chénier finds distasteful the roleplaying that you and other players have played, I guess it's because he doesn't feel identified with all the raping thing, and didn't roleplayed that the mob were trying to rape Florence.

I think we shouldn't use that kind of RP. Maybe we could think that a medieval angry mob would have raped or beaten a lady. But you can't make just a simulation feature of a game in which many other players should enjoy. Every player should avoid that kind of RP, whether it's related to a character, or just the peasants in the game, with raped children and that sort of things. We can just assume there's another kind of interesting RP apart from this, rather than justify it at all cost.

One thing is rivalry among players, let's try to think more often OOC and not humiliate rivals.

Quite crucially, D'Hara nor Chenier denied the accusations when they were put forward, and instead tried to justify it, which is essentially admitting it. Thus, why it has stuck. Though, it's only really been mentioned on the forum facetiously and not in character.

And the accusation was of the mob attempting to rape Florence, which is hardly anything personal on Chenier, and was exactly that, a hearsay accusation from Florence that D'Hara rather failed to deny or disprove but tried to defend so it went uncontested and got taken as a matter of fact because D'Hara made it seem to go without question. He just doesn't like us roleplaying his characters actions in a bad light? Deal with it. Madina essentially roleplayed Mendicant as baby eating despot with a proclivity to genocide and dominance, and whilst that isn't true and it goes against how I roleplay Mendicant they're perfectly at liberty to do so and I/we took it in good stride, defaming your opponents, spreading rumours and creating propaganda is part of the fun of a war and inter character interaction, and I rather object to the notion we should all be incredibly friendly and tongue in cheek about everything, it would remove a quite entertaining portion of the game. Character assassinations, rumour mongering, building up in character roleplayed rivalries and disputes. Terran have even done something similar even now and you don't see us complaining OOC at how they call us wild animals and barbarians and basically fascists, though they were pretty quick to complain and whine when Allomere was apparently "less than complimentary" about Barca /in a roleplay description of his characters perception/. That's how it works, character assassinations, removing ones credibility and debasing their reputation were immensely important during the medieval era, and that's why people work so hard to try and defame the other and history is filled with examples of things like this, and people of the time rather relished making sexual accusations about their opponents. Though, we haven't made one about Chenier so far it should be noted, but alluded to the possible sexual consequence of one of his actions.

Bad Sportsmanship is trying to enforce a policy of tongue in cheek never being able to even allude to something bad about another persons character. Good Sportsmanship by contrast, is being able to take it in your stride when some one does it to you and to find a way I.C. to get back at them rather than trying to act offended over something that doesn't require self aggrandising "offence".
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 05:41:57 PM by NoblesseChevaleresque »

Lychaon

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #786: November 24, 2012, 06:25:07 PM »
Well, according to your comment, if somebody doesn't like another player's RP, reply with a more aggressive RP. If everybody agrees, problem solved. Maybe you're true and everybody enjoys the opposite of a "tongue in the cheek" RP.

Bad Sportsmanship is trying to enforce a policy of tongue in cheek never being able to even allude to something bad about another persons character. Good Sportsmanship by contrast, is being able to take it in your stride when some one does it to you and to find a way I.C. to get back at them rather than trying to act offended over something that doesn't require self aggrandising "offence".

I agree with you on that. But still I can't find any Good Sportsmanship or a good reason on this:

She Did Have Her Guards Rape You In Prison.

If some Terranian or D'Haran players have RP like this, then OK. But it seems that harsh RP sometimes heats up actually some players.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #787: November 24, 2012, 06:30:56 PM »
Also, you say D'hara defended the rape of Florence but that's a complete and utter lie, D'hara defended Machiavel's religious takeover and that's a big difference.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #788: November 24, 2012, 08:54:14 PM »
I had a full roleplayed love affair with Indirik... I just wanted to get that off my chest...
We live lives in beautiful lies...

Zakilevo

« Reply #789: November 24, 2012, 11:24:28 PM »
So who is winning?

Astrum now has the highest CS in Dwilight's history... :o Probably highest anywhere...

MediumTedium

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #790: November 25, 2012, 12:10:03 AM »
Chenier is winning.
"If you find you are falling into madness - dive."

Marlboro

• Noble Lord
  • With Claws
    • View Profile
« Reply #791: November 25, 2012, 12:28:07 AM »
Well, according to your comment, if somebody doesn't like another player's RP, reply with a more aggressive RP. If everybody agrees, problem solved. Maybe you're true and everybody enjoys the opposite of a "tongue in the cheek" RP.

Yeah, I sort of agree with this, but I can see the other side. To use an example from a few weeks ago, if someone RPed cutting my dude's hand off without my permission, I'd fire an RP back about my dude stabbing out both of the Judge's eyes with the jagged stump along with fifty Deal With It.gifs

I had a full roleplayed love affair with Indirik... I just wanted to get that off my chest...

Now I'm jealous. What does Paul have to do to get some of that hot, hot old man ass?

Astrum now has the highest CS in Dwilight's history... :o Probably highest anywhere...

Cagilan Empire's rocking about the same, and most of it's mobile as opposed to the huge amount of militia Astrum's got by way of Kabrinskia duchy.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 12:30:06 AM by Marlboro »
When Thalmarkans walked through the Sint land, castles went up for sale.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #792: November 25, 2012, 01:51:36 AM »
Also, you say D'hara defended the rape of Florence but that's a complete and utter lie, D'hara defended Machiavel's religious takeover and that's a big difference.

Indeed. And I was in prison, and I never saw any RP of it IG, I just heard of it on the forums.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #793: November 25, 2012, 01:57:19 AM »

Actually, no, not at all.

A small mob of 5 people, sure. A mob of hundreds, of a thousand?

Secondly, this action never results in any kind of harm to the targeted person. That's because the action isn't targeted at a person, it's targeted at an estate. It's large-scale vandalism. It's meant to scare someone away, not to harm him or arrest him.

Thirdly, my character is present. He instigates the crowds, and leads them. That's why when the troops disperse the crowd, they get to arrest the priest. He didn't just initiate something then run away. He can oversee the process and restrict it as he wants.

Finally, the action failed because of the troops involved. The mobs therefore never got close to Florence.

She RPed something that goes completely against the spirit of the mechanic that was used, for the sole purpose of slandering my character.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #794: November 25, 2012, 02:58:55 AM »
Now I'm jealous. What does Paul have to do to get some of that hot, hot old man ass?
Wear Glaumring's leopard print thong.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.