Author Topic: The Marrocidenian war  (Read 547474 times)

NoblesseChevaleresque

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: The Marrocidenian war
« Reply #870: December 14, 2012, 09:31:16 PM »
Oh gracious. Dukes were hoarding land. You don't say? They were distributing land as they pleased? Dukes were? Really? How corrupt! Imagine that, dukes distributing land as they pleased, and punishing lords when they break their oaths! How ghastly! And imagine dukes using taxes as a way to punish unruly or disruptive lords– that's unthinkable!

Punishing lords if they wouldn't break their oaths, and levying taxes to try and force them to. Don't misconstrue my words so deliberately.

No, the Orvandeaux loyalism long predates the ban. Those nobles also favored not enforcing the Treaty of Evanburg as I recall (or, rather, simply complained a lot when it was going to be enforced). Threat to secede also preceded the banishment– though obviously the actual secession came after the banishment. It wouldn't make sense to get banished then THREATEN to secede. The whole in your story here is you've failed to explain why Barca acted the way it did– other than a presumption that they're just terrible, terrible people who like banning good people. But that just doesn't make sense.

I'll take your word for it, though I have only your word to support the notion that they were loyal to Aurvandil. By all accounts, the Old Guard were more loyal to Aurvandil because they actually asked Mendicant if they could defect to Aurvandil when Flavia took power as Suffete and they lost the rulership (which shows you what sort of people the Old Guard were) but the three Margraves never spoke to Mendicant they just switched.

Which is why your ruler and general are the same as when you were founded, and your main duke, city lord, and ruler are one person who never has to face elections.

Tell me again about your egalitarian society.

Gladly.

Our Knight Hausos At Arms can only be a man who is firstly, a Cavalier, and secondly proven his prowess, Allomere is the Knight Hausos because he is first amongst knights, and has displayed himself as a exemplar of chivalry, honour and valour whilst also showing his ability to command the armies and bring victory. The Knight Hausos is more than just a General, it is a very ceremonial position in Aurvandil, second to none in rank and honour and it has very, very select criteria on who can become the Knight Hauso. But at the same time, we hold elections for the Knight Hausos and we hold Allomere to account every month and our nobles grant their consent to his command each month in the elections. It is because we are egalitarian that not just any old person can take the position, they have to be the best.

As for the position of High Sovereign. It is run by rule by consent, whereby the High Sovereign is both answerable to the people, and accountable to their will, and the High Sovereign rules only so long as his people consents to his reign. Thus, ensuring that our ruler is not the most "popular" as you would get with elections, but he is the best and has the loyalty and consent of his people, nothing so trivial as temporary popularity in elections like you see in Republics.

Our main Duke, is Sarit, not Mendicant just so you know. Our Dukes are again, the best nobles in the realm, the most deserving, and it is by that logic that we don't play musical chairs with who gets the position, but at the same time we make it open for other nobles to ascend to ducal positions, as ever the best get titles such as Dukedoms, which are at their core, again very ceremonial positions more than embodiments of land based power. Our lordships are frequently given to the newest nobles who contribute the most, the same with our marshal positions and our vice marshal positions (These are the positions that most involve the player and are thus the ones we should keep fluid to the new characters) and our government positions have been known to frequently alter. Another thing you have to consider is the roleplayed titles and positions of power in Aurvandil, there are more of those than there are real titles, and these are ones we frequently hand out to knew players, for example the next highest position of honour in Aurvandil to Knight Hausos At Arms is the Porte-Auriflamme of the Rois, who bears Mendicant's personal standard the Auriflamme (Derivative obviously of the Oriflamme, but changed to Auri as in Aurv) whereby the Porte-Auriflamme is sworn to die rather than yield the ground the banner rests upon. It is an immensely important position in Aurvandil. Another position, for example, is the High Sovereign's Champion, another supremely important ceremonial position that automatically places the Chevalier in the Rois and high on the Aurvandilan hierarchy, higher than any lord or duke. Yet another position to consider, is the keeper of the Eternal Treasury, not to be confused with the Royal Purser who basically just fiddles with the granaries and does tax reports.

There are only so many titles in the game, so we make a point of making more titles and positions to then distribute to our nobles as a ways of distributing power and "involvement" to players who otherwise wouldn't be involved.

But in all seriousness– I agree that encouraging new players to get involved is important and good. Terran does lots of that as well (we routinely give brand new members lordships).

But to argue that a realm is corrupt and needs to be destroyed because its existing lords worked together to keep power (yet still gave multiple lordships to new players?) seems a bit silly. By that standard, every realm should be destroyed.

Then again, Aurvandil is at war with nearly every realm...

I was pointing out an inconsistency in the position you have articulated.

I never said that Barca needs to be destroyed because they are corrupt, I believe many of these inconsistencies in my position are simply things that you mistakenly believe to have been said.

I did however say that Barca needed to be destroyed when they sold their statehood to the Zuma and pursued a war on Aurvandil.

Lanyon

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #871: December 14, 2012, 11:16:04 PM »
not to be confused with the Royal Purser who basically just fiddles with the granaries and does tax reports.

Oh that's me! I'd just like to point out that in about 3 weeks time I went from a knight to a vice marshal and banker. Advancement is easy if you're active

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #872: December 14, 2012, 11:16:13 PM »
If you were truly accountable and responsible to the will of the people, then you'd have your ruler election monthly as well. Otherwise all this talk of egalitarian and "accountable to the people" is window dresing for your standard, run-of-the-mill monarchy.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

NoblesseChevaleresque

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #873: December 14, 2012, 11:52:14 PM »

Oh that's me! I'd just like to point out that in about 3 weeks time I went from a knight to a vice marshal and banker. Advancement is easy if you're active

Active players should be rewarded for their efforts.

If you were truly accountable and responsible to the will of the people, then you'd have your ruler election monthly as well. Otherwise all this talk of egalitarian and "accountable to the people" is window dresing for your standard, run-of-the-mill monarchy.

If Mendicant were elected, then he'd derive his power from populism and reduce the crown of the High Sovereign to a mere office filled by interchangeable  self serving politicians looking to advance their careers, serving not out of duty, honour and for the betterment of the realm but because they see it as a career, a way to advance themselves. The Monarchy is never to be debased into a political office filled by divisive politicians following their own agendas and their own policies. The office of the High Sovereign is far greater than that, it serves a higher purpose. Mendicant is the arbiter of the Commonwealth, the safeguard of freedom and the protector of the rights of the gentry and Commons, the ultimate power in deciding policies and diplomacy, curbing the interests and agendas of any single noble or lobby group and ensuring a healthy political process whereby all are represented and honour, provided with the chance to contribute; Mendicant embodies his realm, he is their national symbol, the source of their unity, the keeper of all oaths sworn and the final judiciary power to uphold oaths, the very fabric of the realm, he is also the example of his people, generous, magnanimous, devoted, honourable, chivalric and just, he exists to lead the Orvandeaux, and to present to them the ideal form of a noble. And you would suggest we reduce such an incredibly important position to elections? To allow the possibility that some one with no greater intention than to advance their own career and agenda would be able to hold such a position? Madness. The Monarch is more than a simple ruler, he is the essence of everything that is his realm and people. A Monarch is therefore far more important than any elected official, than any politician and any ruler such as a Prime Minister.

And that is why he is not elected, but consented to. The people do not choose their Monarch through elections, but they consent to whether or not that Monarch indeed exemplifies all of the above and more. Consent is far more powerful than any vote, it is far more important than popularity and it is far more representative than any electoral process. The people consent to their Monarch, or they do not, and that ultimately decides on whether or not a Monarch is worthy of ruling them.

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #874: December 15, 2012, 12:15:01 AM »
Monarchy is the only true way to govern a kingdom! 8)
We live lives in beautiful lies...

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #875: December 15, 2012, 12:16:13 AM »

Monarchs are overrated. House of Lords ftw.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

DamnTaffer

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #876: December 15, 2012, 12:46:04 AM »
Monarchs are overrated. House of Lords ftw.

They just aren't good..

Lychaon

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #877: December 15, 2012, 02:01:15 AM »

Indeed, but... Fellow nobles, abandon those decadent chains of the Old Regime, your blood is worthy of each privilege you can earn with courage and tenacity!  ;D

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #878: December 15, 2012, 02:37:29 AM »
Indeed, but... Fellow nobles, abandon those decadent chains of the Old Regime, your blood is worthy of each privilege you can earn with courage and tenacity!  ;D

Power to the lords! Free yourselves from the tyranny of the sovereign!
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #879: December 15, 2012, 03:54:03 AM »
I'm not going to make a detailed reply to Mendicant's points.

Not I say Mendicant, not noblessechevalier. I have a hard time believing that a modern human being actually believes that the argument he is made is logically consistent.

You don't actually think what you're saying makes sense and is true, do you? Like, it makes sense maybe from a late-Medieval perspective that basically ignored most of what we today recognize as fundamental human freedoms, and basic problems of political economy... but I get the impression you think what your saying is true on an OOC level. And that... really shocks me.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #880: December 15, 2012, 04:15:50 AM »
If Mendicant were elected, then he'd derive his power from populism and reduce the crown of the High Sovereign to a mere office filled by interchangeable  self serving politicians looking to advance their careers, serving not out of duty, honour and for the betterment of the realm but because they see it as a career, a way to advance themselves.
So, if the High Sovereign were elected monthly, then he would be a mere interchangeable, self-serving politician like your Knight Hausos, Lord Purser, and Arbiter of Justice. Those filthy career politicians.

You can't have it both ways. You've gone to great lengths to explain to us how your unique Aurvandilian system of elections is free of all that political baggage, and is a monthly accountability and consent process.

The Knight Hausos is more than just a General, it is a very ceremonial position in Aurvandil, second to none in rank and honour and it has very, very select criteria on who can become the Knight Hauso. But at the same time, we hold elections for the Knight Hausos and we hold Allomere to account every month and our nobles grant their consent to his command each month in the elections.

He's elected every month so that you can hold him to account every month, and that you demonstrate your consent to his command. Yet somehow this monthly process does not devalue him into nothing more than a filthy career politician seeking only to advance his career. (I will assume that you will claim the same rigmarole for the other two monthly-elected offices, so no need to argue them separately.)

Now, as far as the High Sovereign goes...

As for the position of High Sovereign. It is run by rule by consent, whereby the High Sovereign is both answerable to the people, and accountable to their will, and the High Sovereign rules only so long as his people consents to his reign. Thus, ensuring that our ruler is not the most "popular" as you would get with elections, but he is the best and has the loyalty and consent of his people, nothing so trivial as temporary popularity in elections like you see in Republics.

Oh look... the High Sovereign is accountable to the people, has to answer to the people, and rules by consent of the people. Kind of like the general, banker, and judge. Except that with no monthly/quarterly elections, there is no accountability/consent process. Mendicant has never been through the consent and accountability process that the rest of his government is subjected to on a regular basis.

So how do you explain that the monthly consent process does not turn your banker/judge/general into filthy career politicians, but it would with your ruler?

Hence my assertion that your consent and accountability are window dressing and/or double talk. If Mendicant really ruled by an accountability and consent process, he would be held accountable and receiving the consent on a regular basis, just like the rest of his government. But he isn't. He's the standard, garden-variety absolute ruler, just like pretty much every other monarch in the game.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

NoblesseChevaleresque

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #881: December 15, 2012, 04:59:34 AM »
I'm not going to make a detailed reply to Mendicant's points.

Not I say Mendicant, not noblessechevalier. I have a hard time believing that a modern human being actually believes that the argument he is made is logically consistent.

You don't actually think what you're saying makes sense and is true, do you? Like, it makes sense maybe from a late-Medieval perspective that basically ignored most of what we today recognize as fundamental human freedoms, and basic problems of political economy... but I get the impression you think what your saying is true on an OOC level. And that... really shocks me.

Yes, well you give the impression you believe things such as elections truly safeguard the freedoms and civil liberties of the people, and in turn represents the people, which in this day and age for anyone to still believe such nonsense is shocking, as you would put it.

NoblesseChevaleresque

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #882: December 15, 2012, 05:19:23 AM »
So, if the High Sovereign were elected monthly, then he would be a mere interchangeable, self-serving politician like your Knight Hausos, Lord Purser, and Arbiter of Justice. Those filthy career politicians.

They are no self serving, nor politicians during these elections exactly because they are not allowed to politically campaign, nor are they allowed to announce their candidacy, therefore they cannot serve themselves in doing so, in essence they step forward in an effort to be afforded an opportunity only to serve. The government positions of Royal Purser and Arbiter of Justice, are just civil servants, they exist to do as they're told and to run the government, they don't exist to run the government in a style of their choosing, or to enact an agenda. Those who are elected to the position, are elected only to serve, and thus by putting yourself forward, you put yourself forward to be little more than a labourer.

The Eternal Treasury is kept and maintained by Sarit after all, the Royal Purser simply fills out the forms. The courts and the Noblesse decide verdicts and the High Sovereign passes judgement, the Arbiter of Justice merely enforces the punishment and ruling he is told to enforce. They cannot be politicians in this system, nor can they serve themselves by being placed in these positions, they can only serve the High Sovereign and the Commonwealth.

This, however would change were it the High Sovereign, this is a position exactly where people can run to advance themselves, to make a career, to self serve and to push agendas.

Now, as far as the High Sovereign goes...

Oh look... the High Sovereign is accountable to the people, has to answer to the people, and rules by consent of the people. Kind of like the general, banker, and judge. Except that with no monthly/quarterly elections, there is no accountability/consent process. Mendicant has never been through the consent and accountability process that the rest of his government is subjected to on a regular basis.

So how do you explain that the monthly consent process does not turn your banker/judge/general into filthy career politicians, but it would with your ruler?

Mendicant is subject to the consent of his gentry each and every day, with every decision, and the people hold the power to at any time oust him from power by removing their consent. The peoples power over the Monarchy is thus, unlimited, whereas it is limited in the other positions.

Hence my assertion that your consent and accountability are window dressing and/or double talk. If Mendicant really ruled by an accountability and consent process, he would be held accountable and receiving the consent on a regular basis, just like the rest of his government. But he isn't. He's the standard, garden-variety absolute ruler, just like pretty much every other monarch in the game.

He is always under scrutiny of consent, at any given time the nobles can cease to grant their consent, the Monarch is held under a different standard exactly because the Monarch is the most powerful position, the one position in which those who want to could pursue a path of self serving careerism, to push agendas, to lobby, to be politicians and take power for powers sake. We do not confine the power of the gentry to remove the High Sovereign to elections after a set period of time, nor can trust elections to be the best means by which we grant consent to the Monarch.

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #883: December 15, 2012, 05:29:19 AM »
True nobles live under monarchy. The rest are just Republican politicians, or sheep of the Gods under theocracy.
We live lives in beautiful lies...

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #884: December 15, 2012, 05:34:46 AM »
Well when you say it like that Mendicant it makes perfect sense. Noblesse that is the stupidest thing I have ever heard. My IC noble might not find that completely idiotic, though somewhat, while I believe that to be incredibly terrible logic.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton