Author Topic: The Marrocidenian war  (Read 547448 times)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: The Marrocidenian war
« Reply #915: December 17, 2012, 03:48:58 AM »
And how would people "remove their consent"? Wouldn't someone else running and being elected equate to people removing their consent, and it being granted to someone else?

Nah, that'd be high treason.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #916: December 17, 2012, 04:13:29 AM »
Well, yes, I see that he said that. But the whole system doesn't make sense. IMO it does the exact opposite of what he claims. It creates an exclusive old guard that is the only one that can ever win elections. Denying anyone else the opportunity to even run in an election is the most blatant example of it. How do people "remove consent"? Do 10 people have to stand up and say "go away mendicant"? 20? 30?
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Lanyon

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #917: December 17, 2012, 04:25:25 AM »
You say it maintains the old guard, but I just got elected as banker. As for the position of general if people WANTED to see allomere gone they would vote in a new general. Probably the marshal of the imperial guard, but allomere wins battles so they don't.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #918: December 17, 2012, 04:59:43 AM »
Mmmm... banker. Can you *feel* the power in your hands?

No offense to you here, but NobleWhatsit (sorry, can't remember the spelling) already told us that you're just a faceless functionary who exists simply to carry out his orders.

And I still want to know how the nobility is supposed to remove consent from Mendicant so they can put someone else in place. Since you're the banker of Aurvandil, and thus one of the top four most powerful nobles in the realm (which is odd, because you're just a functionary), perhaps you could explain the procedure for removing your consent for him to rule? Surely you must be aware of the criteria and/or procedure...
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #919: December 17, 2012, 05:02:49 AM »
*hint hint* remove mendincant lol IG... I mean lets just talk about it on the forums, cuz whats said here would never leak IG, and the last think we would want is for Aurvandiils nobles to *hint hint* RISE UP against Mendicant...
We live lives in beautiful lies...

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #920: December 17, 2012, 05:08:19 AM »
Poliorketes, you ask how many democracies use violence? They all do. The armed forces and police forces have the monopoly of legitimate violence. I didn't say they went about shooting everyone. But that doesn't mean that the army is never used. Nor does it mean that there is no violence. Because there is PLENTY of violence in the streets by the forces of "order" against peaceful protesters. Physical violence, as well as moral and financial violence by the use of courts, injunctions, and fines against legitimate pacific protests. The latest in Québec were the students against the tuition fee hikes. Hikes they wouldn't even suffer themselves, the hikes being gradual and only truly affecting the students who will sign up in three years or so. They protest to safeguard accessible public higher education. A fundamental necessity to a healthy democracy (going to school until you are 16 doesn't make you a good citizen, it barely teaches you to count). And yet they are demonized by two of the bigger parties, including the last one in power.

"Financial violence" is not violence. Violence means, like, guns and bayonets and broken bottles and stuff.

Politicians speaking harshly about their opponents and publicly badmouthing protestors is not violence.

Police brutality is violence. But now we have to, again, recognize a slippery slope fallacy when we see one. Because democracies sometimes exercise violence, especially when other means are exhausted, in a generally constrained fashion does not make them categorically identical to, say, Syria's present regime, or Egypt, Tunisia, or Libya's former regimes. It just isn't the same. And to assert that those phenomena can even be discussed with the same words is to denigrate and demean the struggles of thousands of dead people fighting for rights, while inappropriately elevating the status of people who are already residents of some of the richest, most peaceful, most entitled, most powerful nations in the world.

I'm not saying, "Because there's someone worse off, you can't complain." I'm saying, "You can't complain with the same words."

*hint hint* remove mendincant lol IG... I mean lets just talk about it on the forums, cuz whats said here would never leak IG, and the last think we would want is for Aurvandiils nobles to *hint hint* RISE UP against Mendicant...

Personally, I don't want Mendicant removed. Hireshmont want to compel his debasement and force gross indignities upon him. Then maybe force him to become a priest or something.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Norrel

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #921: December 17, 2012, 05:20:11 AM »
Then maybe force him to become a priest or something.

+1
“it was never wise for a ruler to eschew the trappings of power, for power itself flows in no small measure from such trappings.”
- George R.R. Martin ; Melisandre

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #922: December 17, 2012, 06:01:05 AM »
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #923: December 17, 2012, 06:11:27 AM »
Quit with the thinly veiled cheating accusations. Indirik is arguing Mendicant's logic of his consent concept for his rule.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #924: December 17, 2012, 07:06:47 AM »
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #925: December 17, 2012, 07:22:32 AM »
Was a joke. ;)
I was merely pointing out it could never actually happen sadly, not that you would break IRs.
― G.K. Chesterton

Kwanstein

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #926: December 17, 2012, 07:23:48 AM »
It is true for all realms that the majority of characters are essentially automatons with barely any say in what goes on. It is also true for all realms that older players (and players who know each other from IRC...) tend to reserve most power for themselves. If it is true for Aurvandil as well, then at least they are roleplaying it.

Lanyon

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #927: December 17, 2012, 07:27:21 AM »
Mmmm... banker. Can you *feel* the power in your hands?

No offense to you here, but NobleWhatsit (sorry, can't remember the spelling) already told us that you're just a faceless functionary who exists simply to carry out his orders.

And I still want to know how the nobility is supposed to remove consent from Mendicant so they can put someone else in place. Since you're the banker of Aurvandil, and thus one of the top four most powerful nobles in the realm (which is odd, because you're just a functionary), perhaps you could explain the procedure for removing your consent for him to rule? Surely you must be aware of the criteria and/or procedure...

hey hey I'm quite proud of my functionary position. Makes me feel almost important.

STEPS FOR REMOVING MENDICANT

1. acquire 6 ducklings

2. sacrifice 3 duclkings to the zuma and 3 to the bloodstars

3. wait 16.79 days

d.eat a sammwich(optional)

sinco: convince entire CE populace to move to dwilight

6. CE, Zuma and the astroists proceed to declare war on aurvandil

7. mendicant drowns them with gold from: THE ETERNAL TREASURY!tm

8.convince everyone that they need to oust mendicant because we can't afford sandwiches while maintaining our 1500cs per person law

9.commence Austille day (see what i did there?)

10. ??????

11. profit

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #928: December 17, 2012, 07:28:53 AM »
It is true for all realms that the majority of characters are essentially automatons with barely any say in what goes on. It is also true for all realms that older players (and players who know each other from IRC...) tend to reserve most power for themselves. If it is true for Aurvandil as well, then at least they are roleplaying it.
Reserving power based on OOC things is Clanning which I will not blanket accuse all realms with let alone Aurvandil.
― G.K. Chesterton

Eldargard

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #929: December 17, 2012, 08:55:02 AM »
I do not really understand a few things regarding the Aurvandil government.

Some positions are elected. These positions are limited to civil service. People can not campaign or any of that. Candidates should be voted for based on perceived performance. All makes sense so far. Here is the confusing part: Who is allowed to run for a position? At one point it sounded as if no one aside for the incumbent was allowed to run which breaks the whole system.

The ruler is elected once. They rule at the consent of the people and for the people. Or some such. Without a regular vote, I can imagine only two ways to withdraw consent. Refuse to follow the orders of the government or try to rebel against and overthrow the government. Both sound like they would be treasonous acts. As was asked before, how then, can the people remove consent and oust the ruler?