Author Topic: The Marrocidenian war  (Read 547381 times)

NoblesseChevaleresque

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: The Marrocidenian war
« Reply #975: December 18, 2012, 11:15:23 PM »
Methinks, as in the diplomatic issues Aurvandil had earlier, you still don't understand the larger strategy of this war.

In Battlemaster, it is quite far from impossible to lose almost every battle and yet have crushing victory in war. And we certainly haven't lost every battle, as the CS charts make clear.

No I understand the strategy well enough, and I am dismissive of it, you can use war protests and dog pile enemies on me as much as you like whilst trying to drum up support for wars against the Freestate which you still seem to believe are controlled by Aurvandil (Despite the fact I haven't sent my armies over to Madina Fissoa city so Falkirk can scourge the D'Haran isle, which is what I would have done if I had the power to command Lex). At some point, you will have to come south and fight Aurvandil, infiltrators, priests and war coding will only get you so far.

And well, what battle have you won? Swatting the Provincia doesn't count.

NoblesseChevaleresque

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #976: December 18, 2012, 11:18:36 PM »
D'Hara isn't actually at war with you... And you assume our priorities are the same as yours. Yet I think it has been pretty clearly demonstrated that we don't operate the same way at all. Because from where we stand, Aurvandil hasn't  achieved much of anything. D'Hara was crippled by starvation, Barca by a sneak attack.

We don't even need to loot you, your regions revolt on their own. And nowadays your tax rates are much closer to what would otherwise be considered normal.

Nah, we've been involved on two fronts against two behemoths, and we barely lost any ground in the East while we regained a ton of land in the West. Ya, I'd say we did just fine.

It's a de facto war.

And no, our tax rates are back up to their original levels, we worked quick to repair our lands. What hurt us, was losing Evanburg, but all of our regions are back to their old levels so I hope you weren't hoping on that. It isn't hard to run high taxes efficiently, and it isn't hard to restore regions. You should have attacked when we were crippled by war protests, you would have driven us into the ground, but you didn't, you sat around and let us regain our regions and our strength.

And our regions don't revolt of their own accord, save for Celtiberia, and we'll bring that region into line.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #977: December 18, 2012, 11:20:10 PM »
Celtiberia counts. :P
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #978: December 18, 2012, 11:22:59 PM »
No I understand the strategy well enough, and I am dismissive of it, you can use war protests and dog pile enemies on me as much as you like whilst trying to drum up support for wars against the Freestate which you still seem to believe are controlled by Aurvandil (Despite the fact I haven't sent my armies over to Madina Fissoa city so Falkirk can scourge the D'Haran isle, which is what I would have done if I had the power to command Lex). At some point, you will have to come south and fight Aurvandil, infiltrators, priests and war coding will only get you so far.

And well, what battle have you won? Swatting the Provincia doesn't count.

1. We don't have to come south. Maybe we will, but that's far from necessary. Again, you really don't get the strategy at work here, or even our objectives. But I'll leave that to IC.

2. We won the last campaign pretty solidly. Again, look at the CS chart. In fact, the whole history of the war has been one of Terran displaying a faster and bigger recovery after each campaign than Aurvandil. Maybe ya'll will turn that around this time, wouldn't surprise me, but thus far you've managed to "win" battles but lose every fighting season.

The Moot has seen uninhibited growth since the Long Winter, but Aurvandil continues to struggle.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #979: December 18, 2012, 11:28:28 PM »
1. We don't have to come south. Maybe we will, but that's far from necessary. Again, you really don't get the strategy at work here, or even our objectives. But I'll leave that to IC.

2. We won the last campaign pretty solidly. Again, look at the CS chart. In fact, the whole history of the war has been one of Terran displaying a faster and bigger recovery after each campaign than Aurvandil. Maybe ya'll will turn that around this time, wouldn't surprise me, but thus far you've managed to "win" battles but lose every fighting season.

The Moot has seen uninhibited growth since the Long Winter, but Aurvandil continues to struggle.

This. And hey, Luria Nova wants to attack you too... it's not like the Luria-D'Hara conflict will last forever. Once the big ol' Lurian family is reunited, I'm sure they'll be able to send you plenty of christmas gifts.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

NoblesseChevaleresque

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #980: December 18, 2012, 11:29:17 PM »
Celtiberia counts. :P

Lost Celtiberia, regained Evanburg. A fair trade.

You recover yes, but to what end? You don't march your armies, you don't fight. Aurvandil only weakens itself by marching to fight you, so what happens when we refuse? What happens when we keep the armies in our barracks, hoard our gold and prepare ourselves for a protracted siege of the Commonwealth. As you will recall, Aurvandil can reach 60,000 C.S. when we are given the time to do so.

So, either Aurvandil weakens itself in marching to fight you and wasting soldiers on campaigns, and you "recover" or we keep our forces at home, build them up to strength and then you are forced to march against us, and who then will be in the better position?

I am sure this is just the opening moves of your strategy no doubt, whilst Aurvandil wastes its strength and you bide your time however.

Well, it's not like we'd just burn our energy in this duel on swiping at you unless we were prepared for the consequences of such expenditure. I would like to see what your next move is, we only attack you because you won't attack us, after all.

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #981: December 18, 2012, 11:42:30 PM »
Lost Celtiberia, regained Evanburg. A fair trade.

You recover yes, but to what end? You don't march your armies, you don't fight. Aurvandil only weakens itself by marching to fight you, so what happens when we refuse? What happens when we keep the armies in our barracks, hoard our gold and prepare ourselves for a protracted siege of the Commonwealth. As you will recall, Aurvandil can reach 60,000 C.S. when we are given the time to do so.

So, either Aurvandil weakens itself in marching to fight you and wasting soldiers on campaigns, and you "recover" or we keep our forces at home, build them up to strength and then you are forced to march against us, and who then will be in the better position?

I am sure this is just the opening moves of your strategy no doubt, whilst Aurvandil wastes its strength and you bide your time however.

Well, it's not like we'd just burn our energy in this duel on swiping at you unless we were prepared for the consequences of such expenditure. I would like to see what your next move is, we only attack you because you won't attack us, after all.

You really only think about this one way, don't you? It's all about stacking up CS so you can march in and capture a city and show'em who's boss?

Why on earth should that be the Moot's goal? What do we possibly gain by sacking Candiels?
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Zakilevo

« Reply #982: December 18, 2012, 11:44:49 PM »
Aurvandil should just destroy the Moot and get this over with.

Zaki cheers for Aurvandil

NoblesseChevaleresque

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #983: December 18, 2012, 11:46:47 PM »
You really only think about this one way, don't you? It's all about stacking up CS so you can march in and capture a city and show'em who's boss?

Why on earth should that be the Moot's goal? What do we possibly gain by sacking Candiels?

Oh God. You are actually trying to just be a minor inconvenience aren't you.

That is just cruel.

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #984: December 18, 2012, 11:48:01 PM »
Aurvandil should just destroy the Moot and get this over with.

Zaki cheers for Aurvandil

But what would Aurvandil stand to gain?

A vast and sprawling empire? They'd set to fighting each other if it came to that. Victory over the Moot would leave Aurvandil without nearby enemies. Maybe they'd go long-distance against Astroism, or go fight Fissoa– but that wouldn't seem in keeping with their prodigious honor.

No, they'd eat each other.

Neither side really stands to gain more than a few rurals at best, in terms of raw conquest.

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #985: December 18, 2012, 11:49:11 PM »
Oh God. You are actually trying to just be a minor inconvenience aren't you.

That is just cruel.

Actually, we are diehard Mendicant loyalists, ensuring you always have an external foe around which to unite your people.

That's even why we mock you on the forum: to supply Aurvandil's players a sense of OOC solidarity.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #986: December 18, 2012, 11:49:51 PM »
Actually, we are diehard Mendicant loyalists, ensuring you always have an external foe around which to unite your people.

That's even why we mock you on the forum: to supply Aurvandil's players a sense of OOC solidarity.

Stop spilling the beans!

NoblesseChevaleresque

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #987: December 18, 2012, 11:51:05 PM »
But what would Aurvandil stand to gain?

A vast and sprawling empire? They'd set to fighting each other if it came to that. Victory over the Moot would leave Aurvandil without nearby enemies. Maybe they'd go long-distance against Astroism, or go fight Fissoa– but that wouldn't seem in keeping with their prodigious honor.

No, they'd eat each other.

Neither side really stands to gain more than a few rurals at best, in terms of raw conquest.

Your lands would be given to whomever would have them, if we could give them away that is. Not that we want to conquer you all to begin with.

Falkirk will be our enemies.

The Anti Monarchists will be tested in battle by the Orvandeaux. They fight well against Fissoa, whom they humiliate with great regularity, at least the Falk'yrj'an's can be trusted to face us in honourable combat.

NoblesseChevaleresque

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #988: December 18, 2012, 11:53:11 PM »

A cruel fate!

Aurvandil can never implode if we're forced to exert ourselves outwards, how sinister of you.

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #989: December 19, 2012, 02:12:05 AM »
A cruel fate!

Aurvandil can never implode if we're forced to exert ourselves outwards, how sinister of you.

Oh, the Moot is nothing if not sinister. It's why we have handled the war so... un-dextrously.