Author Topic: The Marrocidenian war  (Read 547277 times)

Nosferatus

• Testers
  • Mighty Duke
  • Too weird to live, too rare to die
    • View Profile
Re: The Marrocidenian war
« Reply #1050: December 22, 2012, 02:44:43 PM »
not all forests in sub or tropical lands are jungles, jungles are just tightly grown old forests that are almost impenetrable.
That still doesn;t change the fact that barca is subtropical.

Also i always thought about the water streams of the inner sea.
If you look at the map it is imaginable that the hot water streams flow close to the surfice upwards along the east inner sea up north where the water cools down and flows back down the west side of the inner sea.
That would mean the east is warmer then the west.
Formerly playing the Nosferatus and Bhrantan Family.
Currently playing the Polytus Family in: Gotland, Madina, Astrum, Outer Tilog

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1051: December 22, 2012, 03:07:20 PM »
On the inner sea, I'd say there are warm currents along the western coast and cold currents along the eastern coast, hence why the climate is dryer in the east and why all the deserts are there.

Given the two deserts, I'd say Chesney is on the equatorial line.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #1052: December 22, 2012, 04:57:28 PM »
There are no maples in India, but there are some in indochina, which is right next to it. In northern Africa as well. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Map_genus_Acer.png

I have a hard time imagining palm trees in Barca, because that's not actually what's on the map. All of the drawn palm trees are on the east continent. Further, it's called "RettleWOOD" and "TwainWOOD". I never hear people refer to jungles as "the woods". There's also the climate zones, Barca clearly being out of the mediteranean climate zone.

It's easy to picture palm trees on Terran's coast, in Old Maroccidens. But I have a hard time imagining Barca having the same climate as Terran. The terrain is quite different. You are stretched along the eastern coast, with a major river going through you and a great lake on one border. Proximity to the badlands and mountains. Heck, even the Volcano seems to be sending its junk your way.

Oh, yeah– Barca probably isn't very palm-tree-ish. I would image it far less sandy than that. Again, methinks India is probably a good analog for Barca.

And good find on the maples. Can those maples actually be tapped for syrup?
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #1053: December 22, 2012, 05:07:10 PM »
Barca is probably like California redwood... Think Endor
We live lives in beautiful lies...

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1054: December 22, 2012, 07:40:14 PM »
Oh, yeah– Barca probably isn't very palm-tree-ish. I would image it far less sandy than that. Again, methinks India is probably a good analog for Barca.

And good find on the maples. Can those maples actually be tapped for syrup?

Various maples can be tapped. The most common one is the sugar maple (acer saccharum), but I believe the red maple and black maple are tapped as well. Sugar contents aren't as high, however, and I would assume that taste may also be influenced. It does still allow for some maple syrup to be produced in some regions of Canada where the sugar maple isn't dominant or present.

The fact that the sugar maple is mostly in eastern canada doesn't mean it couldn't have evolved elsewhere as well. Norvegian maples are pretty invasive here, and I'm sure that sugar maples could also thrive in other parts of the world.

However, the sap is only harvested at spring, when the days are warm enough and the nights cool enough. After a while, it is no longer harvested because it acquires a "bud" taste. It requires a winter, as far as I know.

So perhaps no maple syrup from Barca.

A Dwilight climate map would be interesting to draw. We've got the weather areas as a base already, could be interesting to pursue this discussion into fleshing out what the climate is like in all corners of Dwilight. We could even map the water streams.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #1055: December 22, 2012, 10:46:22 PM »
However, the sap is only harvested at spring, when the days are warm enough and the nights cool enough. After a while, it is no longer harvested because it acquires a "bud" taste. It requires a winter, as far as I know.

So perhaps no maple syrup from Barca.

More precisely, it can only be tapped in the weeks where the temperature is below freezing at night and above in the day. The freeze "resets" the process every day ensuring you have clear sap. There's plenty of maples in Germany, but no syrup.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1056: January 04, 2013, 07:50:24 AM »
HERESY IN AURVANDIL!

Time to fund the 'moot, northerners! We developed quite a specialty in dealing with usurpers. And it looks to us as if Allison is trying to usurp the name and legitimacy of your church. :P

Eldargard

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1057: January 04, 2013, 07:52:27 AM »
There's plenty of maples in Germany, but no syrup.

Sure there is! Imported Canadian Syrup! Boy am I glad to have found it too. I was dreading years of jam covered pancakes during my stay....

MediumTedium

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #1058: January 04, 2013, 08:01:01 AM »
I could be wrong i was out of action about a week but i don't think Mendicant approve of that action. We will see...
"If you find you are falling into madness - dive."

Meneldur

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1059: January 04, 2013, 12:02:22 PM »
It will be interesting to see what becomes of the new religion. I can't imagine many in Aurvanil would be interested in joining, and with the present hostilities I doubt an Aurvandil-based religion will be able to spread outside Aurvandil and Falkirk.

NoblesseChevaleresque

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1060: January 04, 2013, 12:18:36 PM »
It will be interesting to see what becomes of the new religion. I can't imagine many in Aurvanil would be interested in joining, and with the present hostilities I doubt an Aurvandil-based religion will be able to spread outside Aurvandil and Falkirk.

Why would it spread to Falkirk at all? That would almost defeat it's point.

Meneldur

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1061: January 04, 2013, 12:51:18 PM »

I just meant that Falkirk is one of the few realms on good enough terms with Aurvandil not to denounce a religion emerging out of Aurvandil at first sight.

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #1062: January 04, 2013, 01:04:03 PM »

So why would Aurvandil would want a religion, apart from the OOC gains?

dustole

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #1063: January 04, 2013, 02:43:48 PM »
What OOC gains are there to having a religion?   

Allison came to Aurvandil because she could found a new church.   It will be small for a while, but I have high hopes for it.
Kabrinski Family:  Nathaniel (EC), Franklin (BT), Aletha(DWI)

NoblesseChevaleresque

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1064: January 04, 2013, 03:11:35 PM »
You assume Aurvandil wants anything from a religion at all.