Author Topic: The Marrocidenian war  (Read 547446 times)

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
Re: The Marrocidenian war
« Reply #1290: February 06, 2013, 07:27:04 AM »
"Cultus" is used in Latin to refer to care for temples.

I rather doubt it's really a 17th century origin– maybe a 17th century entry into mainstream English usage... but many words don't enter written English usage until 15th, 16th century... because Latin was still a major written language before that. Why would religious vocab associated with high liturgy be translated into English?

/nerdiness
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Nosferatus

• Testers
  • Mighty Duke
  • Too weird to live, too rare to die
    • View Profile
« Reply #1291: February 06, 2013, 07:42:26 AM »
I went goat hunting on a small island in the Pacific once with this Aboriginal guy and he had a homemade flintlock, we were climbing jungle cliffs hacking through super dense jungle, like 3ft every 15 -20 minutes, the foilage was so dense we just sat on the trees and grass and roots on the side of the mountain and ate the inside of some betel palm that tasted like raw bamboo. Well anyways we didnt find any goats and ended up shooting trees in a small valley at the base of the mountain.flintlocks are loud!

Hunting goats?
Isnt that someones cattle usually? :P
Formerly playing the Nosferatus and Bhrantan Family.
Currently playing the Polytus Family in: Gotland, Madina, Astrum, Outer Tilog

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #1292: February 06, 2013, 10:25:27 AM »
"Cult" makes it sound antiquated, however "reason" brings to mind the age of reason, which is more modern. So it does sound odd. I'm not familiar with it's tenets though, so I will not judge. For all I know, it' could be very clever.

In the real world, the Cult of Reason is the atheist system that briefly replaced catholicism in the period ramping up to the Terreur in the French Revolution.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cult_of_reason

If that's the historical reference, then it's not SMA, but I haven't seen anything about the in-game religion except its name, so I'll withhold judgement. There are no wiki pages for the new religion, or have I not looked in the right places?
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1293: February 06, 2013, 11:48:21 AM »
In the real world, the Cult of Reason is the atheist system that briefly replaced catholicism in the period ramping up to the Terreur in the French Revolution.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cult_of_reason

If that's the historical reference, then it's not SMA, but I haven't seen anything about the in-game religion except its name, so I'll withhold judgement. There are no wiki pages for the new religion, or have I not looked in the right places?

This is what I assumed it was mimicking. Obviously not SMA. But nothing about Aurvandil is SMA and nothing happens about it, so whatever.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1294: February 06, 2013, 12:39:08 PM »
Hunting goats?
Isnt that someones cattle usually? :P

Goat hunting, the next big thing after cow trapping.  ::)
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1295: February 06, 2013, 01:37:26 PM »
This is what I assumed it was mimicking. Obviously not SMA. But nothing about Aurvandil is SMA and nothing happens about it, so whatever.

For the 9,731st time, for anything to "happen about it," someone needs to officially report it.

The Titans do not troll through the game looking for SMA violations.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #1296: February 09, 2013, 04:20:11 AM »
So I don't remember if this is the thread Vellos said it was super easy to become elder of the moot if you are in Terran, and its pathetic because he is right. Terran is lacking an elder even now.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #1297: February 09, 2013, 10:16:35 AM »
So I don't remember if this is the thread Vellos said it was super easy to become elder of the moot if you are in Terran, and its pathetic because he is right. Terran is lacking an elder even now.

Yup.

We'll get to it eventually.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Astinus

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #1298: February 09, 2013, 01:23:25 PM »
The whole "honourable noble" thing where almost every character is a knight in a shiny armor who  always put his honour in front of everything is much more a modern era idealization rather than an actual medieval representation.

In bm people tend to forget that for the most part, knights was just a little more than bandits with horses and steel.

The Aurvandil's "Noblesse Oblige" doesn't seem less historical accurate than the usual way noble characters are played in bm so unless you want to fully reform the way the game is played I don't think it could be considered a SMA violation

Lychaon

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1299: February 09, 2013, 03:49:06 PM »
The whole "honourable noble" thing where almost every character is a knight in a shiny armor who  always put his honour in front of everything is much more a modern era idealization rather than an actual medieval representation.

In bm people tend to forget that for the most part, knights was just a little more than bandits with horses and steel.

The Aurvandil's "Noblesse Oblige" doesn't seem less historical accurate than the usual way noble characters are played in bm so unless you want to fully reform the way the game is played I don't think it could be considered a SMA violation

I don't think it's been discussed if the supposed honourable manners of the Aurvandilians are accurate to a SMA, they probably are. Maybe it's been discussed if the "honourable noble" thing fits to the way they've performed very often, IC.

I think this debate about SMA in Aurvandil has arisen related to the Cult of Reason, but I wouldn't call it a violation of the SMA. I don't know if the idea for that religion was taken from the reference quoted by Perth, but anyway secularism wasn't a quite definitive characteristic in medieval times.

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #1300: February 09, 2013, 03:51:35 PM »
How do people act in reallife is probably very close to how they operate in medieval times, except nobles are the old school baby boomer bitchy guy that is your supervisor in industrial and is a prick snd treats you like !@#$.
We live lives in beautiful lies...

NoblesseChevaleresque

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301: February 09, 2013, 03:57:14 PM »

That is entirely wrong, go read some of the Chivalry prose written from the 12th century to the fourteenth or even fifteenth. Or even research the Chivalric orders, such as the Order of the Garter or the Order of the Star, both of which produced their own written codes of chivalry to instruct knights on how to conduct themselves.

It's a more modern view that knights were simply men in flashy armour who were little better than bandits, as those who did so were reviled and outright punished in Medieval Europe.

NoblesseChevaleresque

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1302: February 09, 2013, 03:59:38 PM »
For everyone clamouring over the Cult of Reason.

Calm down, it's just a name.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1303: February 09, 2013, 04:02:49 PM »
No, seriously, it's just a name—the religion has no content and nearly no members.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

NoblesseChevaleresque

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1304: February 09, 2013, 04:18:11 PM »
I guess some people will just have to wait until they can try and deride it as un SMA.