Author Topic: The Marrocidenian war  (Read 547380 times)

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
Re: The Marrocidenian war
« Reply #1320: February 11, 2013, 02:03:22 AM »
You know, now this is just a thought, but if you're not actually intending to fight you ought to make peace because all this continuation of an endless war does is galvanise the opinion in Aurvandil that the Veinsormoot will not accept peace by any means, by any concessions or agreement, and that leaves only violence as a resort.

Terran's demand that we pay them three thousand gold just to open up peace talks exacerbating what is now becoming a prevalent opinion in Aurvandil,  and whilst Mendicant doesn't want to fight the Veinsormoot, nor even weaken them or to destroy any realm in the Veinsormoot, he won't be ruler for much longer if the Veinsormoot continues to spurn peace talks and he continues to refuse to launch military campaigns on the Veinsormoot.

If you're just going to uphold an endless war that you have no intention of either ending, or fighting, then Aurvandil is going to lash out because the current state of mass war is bad for internal affairs (Though, it has allowed Mendicant to get away with a lot of stuff that previously would have gotten him deposed, like Orthodox Astroism and Cult of Reason, or actually signing an alliance and with the Freestate no less) we don't want to keep fighting, and we don't want to be forced into a climate of constant hostility with our neighbours, which if they won't accept peace leaves their complete capitulation or destruction.

1. You hold three regions, we asked for 3,000 gold. Sounds fair.

2. How again is anything you just said supposed to convince us peace is a good idea?

"If I don't burn you to the ground soon, my people will revolt against me."

Sounds like you're dangerous neighbors, and we shouldn't be doing anything to ease up on you.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

NoblesseChevaleresque

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1321: February 11, 2013, 02:12:02 AM »
1. You hold three regions, we asked for 3,000 gold. Sounds fair.

2. How again is anything you just said supposed to convince us peace is a good idea?

"If I don't burn you to the ground soon, my people will revolt against me."

Sounds like you're dangerous neighbors, and we shouldn't be doing anything to ease up on you.

I am not sure how you convinced yourself that it's a case of I have to burn you down, or Mendicant gets deposed, but whatever. It's a case of Mendicant gets peace, or he burns you down, or he gets kicked out and is replaced by some one who will. Mendicant wants the former, which is preferable to getting kicked out or extensive warfare over the coming months against the Veinsormoot, which would be the end result of him being deposed anyway. As for dangerous neighbours, well that's a fascinating outlook but somewhat contradicted by the like five attempts at peace Mendicant's made, his refusal to wage war and his refusal to have both D'Hara and Barca taken down when they were starving and held maybe five regions between them. Yeah that's pretty dangerous, it's almost like Aurvandil genuinely doesn't want to fight you or destroy you.

You want the three regions? Try having Barca ask for them, Mendicant might be more inclined to listen. Demanding gold just to open peace talks is a sure fire way to kill any chance of peace stone dead.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1322: February 11, 2013, 02:28:26 AM »
Peace is boring. More war!
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #1323: February 11, 2013, 02:41:15 AM »

I am not sure how you convinced yourself that it's a case of I have to burn you down, or Mendicant gets deposed, but whatever. It's a case of Mendicant gets peace, or he burns you down, or he gets kicked out and is replaced by some one who will. Mendicant wants the former, which is preferable to getting kicked out or extensive warfare over the coming months against the Veinsormoot, which would be the end result of him being deposed anyway. As for dangerous neighbours, well that's a fascinating outlook but somewhat contradicted by the like five attempts at peace Mendicant's made, his refusal to wage war and his refusal to have both D'Hara and Barca taken down when they were starving and held maybe five regions between them. Yeah that's pretty dangerous, it's almost like Aurvandil genuinely doesn't want to fight you or destroy you.

You want the three regions? Try having Barca ask for them, Mendicant might be more inclined to listen. Demanding gold just to open peace talks is a sure fire way to kill any chance of peace stone dead.

A hyperviolent ruler who wants to burn down the Véinsørmoot, but who isn't named Mendicant, is better than a peaceful Mendicant, frankly.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

NoblesseChevaleresque

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1324: February 11, 2013, 02:42:39 AM »
A hyperviolent ruler who wants to burn down the Véinsørmoot, but who isn't named Mendicant, is better than a peaceful Mendicant, frankly.

That explains a lot.

NoblesseChevaleresque

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1325: February 11, 2013, 02:43:31 AM »
Peace is boring. More war!

Get Astrum to fight a war?

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1326: February 11, 2013, 04:46:34 AM »
Sounds good to me. I was hoping we'd get a good Astrum/Iashalur vs. Farronite/Asylon war going. Unfortunately the Farronites decided to rethink their position on preaching. Looks like no war there, for now. Maybe eventually the rulers will get tired of Asylon's interference, and declare war. It would be interesting to see how good these various realms are at waging war after so much peace. I have a feeling we'd all suck at it. Meh... my character is a priest, and probably won't go back to being a warrior any time soon, if ever.

Feylonis

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1327: February 11, 2013, 04:59:58 AM »
A lot of Farronite regions are protesting the Asylon war, but the FR government's still trying to salvage the alliance.

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #1328: February 11, 2013, 05:03:40 AM »
A lot of Farronite regions are protesting the Asylon war, but the FR government's still trying to salvage the alliance.

Does this make any sense?
We live lives in beautiful lies...

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1329: February 11, 2013, 05:04:39 AM »
Protesting the Asylon war? Do you mean the Asylon alliance?

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #1330: February 11, 2013, 08:29:34 AM »
You know, now this is just a thought, but if you're not actually intending to fight you ought to make peace because all this continuation of an endless war does is galvanise the opinion in Aurvandil that the Veinsormoot will not accept peace by any means, by any concessions or agreement, and that leaves only violence as a resort.

Terran's demand that we pay them three thousand gold just to open up peace talks exacerbating what is now becoming a prevalent opinion in Aurvandil,  and whilst Mendicant doesn't want to fight the Veinsormoot, nor even weaken them or to destroy any realm in the Veinsormoot, he won't be ruler for much longer if the Veinsormoot continues to spurn peace talks and he continues to refuse to launch military campaigns on the Veinsormoot.

If you're just going to uphold an endless war that you have no intention of either ending, or fighting, then Aurvandil is going to lash out because the current state of mass war is bad for internal affairs (Though, it has allowed Mendicant to get away with a lot of stuff that previously would have gotten him deposed, like Orthodox Astroism and Cult of Reason, or actually signing an alliance and with the Freestate no less) we don't want to keep fighting, and we don't want to be forced into a climate of constant hostility with our neighbours, which if they won't accept peace leaves their complete capitulation or destruction.
This is what I am talking about. Barca has been reclaiming regions, D'hara has constantly been fighting-previously LN, now Falkirik, and Terran occasionally has an army sit in Paisland. If the complaint is TO's then your not talking to anybody or at least not more than one person. Barca obviously cares about getting land and I don't know where you get the idea D'hara doesn't care. I have considered sending Terran military advice, some of which I know is good because its obvious just not apparent, but not because I don't actually see Terran doing anything anymore.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1331: February 11, 2013, 01:01:16 PM »
+1. Cracks me up how the Vandals have so many different names people call them, except the one they actually want to be called no one ever does. Terran seems to not really care about the war though so that sucks.

I can just picture a D'Haran and a Fissoan arguing.
"Vandals!"
"Saxons!"
"Vandals!"
"Saxons!"

They want to be called Orvandeaux, don't they? That's the name Hireshmont usually uses.

And I don't know what you mean about Terran not caring. It's hard to do anything when neither of your allies are willing to help and you don't share a border. What's the point in invading Aurvandil if it's just going to lead to your allies bitching at you about endangering them, and if your allies aren't willing to take any regions?

No, that would be Aurvandil. I honestly have no idea what the Falkirkians want to be called.

They're all orvando-saxons anyways.  8)
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Lychaon

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1332: February 11, 2013, 06:56:02 PM »

It's been all an awful misunderstanding, it seems Barca forgot to ask for them before the declaration of war. Would Mendicant get deposed  by their servants for not sending them to destroy the enemy realms, but they would be willing to give back these regions? Mendicant can pretend to be "more inclined to listen", but what does it mean?

Maybe last time he was inclined to listen while being absolutely sure he would keep them. What Barca got was time wasted in useless negotiations and an enemy army at the gates of the capital. I'm more inclined to think that the only peace talks will start by the renounce of Barca to the stolen regions. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Phellan

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1333: February 11, 2013, 07:10:38 PM »
I'm more inclined to think that the only peace talks will start by the renounce of Barca to the stolen regions. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Actually, I'm sure adding on an offer of yearly tribute would really get you guys moving towards peace.

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #1334: February 11, 2013, 08:47:44 PM »
Actually, I'm sure adding on an offer of yearly tribute would really get you guys moving towards peace.

Maybe we could send 30 virgins as well.