Author Topic: Sea Travel Feedback  (Read 58585 times)

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
Re: Sea Travel Feedback
« Reply #15: October 11, 2012, 08:43:50 AM »
11/10/12
nothing to say.. 2 hours till arrival at Northern Passage.
well.. the round button is there in sea_travel.php.. and it's empty atm.. but you know that already XD

what do you mean "it's emtpy" ? It should link to the wiki page.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: October 11, 2012, 08:50:00 AM »
as in the wiki page is empty... [[Help:Sea_Travel]] has no content yet.
firefox

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: October 11, 2012, 08:28:56 PM »
11/10/12 sunset

A Day at Sea   (2 hours, 11 minutes ago)
personal message
You have arrived in Northern Passage.

yippee..... options now are:

Zenith Coast    (307 miles, ca. 26 hours)  <----- eh.. so 26 was correct? and somehow zenith->northern passage had the wrong distance/time? guess i'll check again the next time i pass through that bit. (or someone look it up on the db XD)
    Spring Coast    (331 miles, ca. 28 hours)

eh... wtf... still can't sail to channel of gelene?!... ok... a closer look at the map shows... eh... the bridges acting as a sort of barrier.. and the channel isn't linked to the 2 sea areas up there. will that be changed?

guess i'll take the long round trip to go back to d'hara.
You have given orders to sail towards Spring Coast.
It will take about 28 hours to sail there. <--- matches this time.

landing options..
    Yggdramir    (Astrum, 207 miles, ca. 18 hours)
    Valkyrja    (Astrum, 200 miles, ca. 17 hours)
    Rye    (Libero Empire, 206 miles, ca. 18 hours)
    Cold Spring    (Libero Empire, 225 miles, ca. 19 hours)
    Storms Keep    (Libero Empire, 133 miles, ca. 12 hours)
    Storms End    (Libero Empire, 112 miles, ca. 10 hours)
    Valldir    (Libero Empire, 34 miles, ca. 3 hours)
    Norrdir    (Astrum, 91 miles, ca. 8 hours)
    Hvergelmir    (Astrum, 163 miles, ca. 14 hours)

still.. landing at cold spring for 19 hours sounds like a bargain. looks as if when it says i've arrived in northern passage... it literally means i arrived in the middle of it, right off the coast of Valldir... so i guess... sea travel really sucks if are going from the shore near the edge of 1 sea area to the nearer edge of the next area..  whereas it's great if you are doing far edge to far edge or middle to middle.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 08:32:52 PM by fodder »
firefox

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: October 12, 2012, 06:35:20 AM »
12/10/12 sunrise
16 hours to go
firefox

Kellaine

• Noble Lord
  • Honor in Service
    • View Profile
    • Thatcher  Family
« Reply #19: October 12, 2012, 11:02:31 AM »
I tried it out and embarked with 50% provisions and returned the following turn. so I was at sea for one turn change and I lost 20% provisions I think that is a bit excessive and severely limiting.  Is this intensional?
Dexter - Principality of Zonasa, Telgar - Principality of Zonasa, Wil - Morek Empire, Crom- Adventurer - Kabrinskia-paused

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #20: October 12, 2012, 11:08:31 AM »
    Zenith Coast    (307 miles, ca. 26 hours)  <----- eh.. so 26 was correct? and somehow zenith->northern passage had the wrong distance/time? guess i'll check again the next time i pass through that bit. (or someone look it up on the db XD)

It's not stored in the database, it's actually calculated from the distance which is also not stored anywhere, but calculated from the mid-points, which are ALSO not stored anywhere, but calculated from the polygon. Oh, except for land-sea-land travel where we use actual travel distance not mid-point, so going to neighbouring regions is faster than going to the one on the other side of the sea zone.

eh... wtf... still can't sail to channel of gelene?!... ok... a closer look at the map shows... eh... the bridges acting as a sort of barrier.. and the channel isn't linked to the 2 sea areas up there. will that be changed?

I don't plan to, no.

still.. landing at cold spring for 19 hours sounds like a bargain. looks as if when it says i've arrived in northern passage... it literally means i arrived in the middle of it, right off the coast of Valldir... so i guess... sea travel really sucks if are going from the shore near the edge of 1 sea area to the nearer edge of the next area..  whereas it's great if you are doing far edge to far edge or middle to middle.

See above. No, I thought of that. If you go land-sea-land, it takes the distance between the two land regions into account.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #21: October 12, 2012, 11:09:00 AM »
I tried it out and embarked with 50% provisions and returned the following turn. so I was at sea for one turn change and I lost 20% provisions I think that is a bit excessive and severely limiting.  Is this intensional?

Absolutely. You have NOTHING ELSE TO EAT at sea but what you bring.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: October 12, 2012, 11:15:10 AM »

This will not be a problem when you can buy provisions. At the moment, though, it just forces you to wait before embarking.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

egamma

« Reply #23: October 12, 2012, 02:26:38 PM »
Tom, the sea travel options are irreversible, which is quite a change from the other travel options, which allow you to cancel movement or turn around. I imagine that some of the phone-players might click the wrong travel link from time to time.

Also, if one is at sea and can't send messages, then maybe it doesn't make sense for one to be able to abandon estate or protest?

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #24: October 12, 2012, 11:21:10 PM »
Absolutely. You have NOTHING ELSE TO EAT at sea but what you bring.

Where are the fish? D:
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

egamma

« Reply #25: October 13, 2012, 12:35:34 AM »
Where are the fish? D:

You've never gone "fishing", have you? Certainly not with 30 other people casting lines in the water next to you, and certainly not with a commercial net.

egamma

« Reply #26: October 13, 2012, 12:36:01 AM »
Additional feedback: it would be nice if travel was realtime, so that it counted down the hours.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #27: October 13, 2012, 12:39:32 AM »
Where are the fish? D:

Fishing far away from the shore on a moving boat is, to the best of my knowledge, quite a bit more difficult than most people think. That's why it is done with nets, but that means a) you have to have nets and b) it slows you down.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #28: October 13, 2012, 12:40:15 AM »
Additional feedback: it would be nice if travel was realtime, so that it counted down the hours.

And that would gain what? Oh yes, confusion, because everything else in BM is turn-based.

egamma

« Reply #29: October 13, 2012, 01:02:47 AM »
And that would gain what? Oh yes, confusion, because everything else in BM is turn-based.

Except Priest and Adventurer travel, which is either instant or on a countdown system.

Are priests and adventurers going to travel on a turn-based system? I imagine that the delay in priest/advy sea travel is probably due to this very problem. Just make all classes travel on an hourly system and it will be fairly simple, I think.

Load/unload could still take place on turn changes, because that's when the tide is changing (or whatever).