Author Topic: Sea Travel Feedback  (Read 58621 times)

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
Re: Sea Travel Feedback
« Reply #165: November 28, 2012, 10:12:12 PM »
The wiki has dodgy info. The current 4 hours is a hack until we can get a better calculation in.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #166: December 02, 2012, 07:48:04 AM »
"2 new navies are ready. There are now 2 available." 

shipyard stuff from the daily report...... don't know... maybe fleet(s) would be a better word? though.. still sounds like a load of ships. not sure what the medieval naval formation terms are... just plain old ships maybe (chance of confusion with the travel versions...)
firefox

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #167: December 02, 2012, 07:59:00 AM »
"2 new navies are ready. There are now 2 available." 

shipyard stuff from the daily report...... don't know... maybe fleet(s) would be a better word? though.. still sounds like a load of ships. not sure what the medieval naval formation terms are... just plain old ships maybe (chance of confusion with the travel versions...)
So does that mean it works now? And is it supposed to be some sort of paraphernalia then?
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #168: December 02, 2012, 09:00:12 AM »
it's not something for a noble (what... you carry ships around on land?). doubt it actually works.
firefox

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #169: December 02, 2012, 11:04:03 AM »
It actually wasn't uncommon to carry disassembled ships while on campaign if you knew you'd need them and didn'twerent going to be somewhere you could just requisition them.

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #170: December 02, 2012, 03:49:04 PM »
It actually wasn't uncommon to carry disassembled ships while on campaign if you knew you'd need them and didn'twerent going to be somewhere you could just requisition them.

Could you expand on this or provide some sources, pease?

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #171: December 02, 2012, 04:53:19 PM »
Could you expand on this or provide some sources, pease?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portage First done around 600 BC.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #172: December 02, 2012, 05:05:09 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portage First done around 600 BC.

That article only references canoes, not warships.

Viking longships, however, can be ported; I see no indication that they were disassembled prior to doing so.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longship
After all it's a roleplaying game.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #173: December 02, 2012, 06:41:11 PM »
... you expect to carry a couple of sea going ships around with your average 50 odd people?

if you can't carry forges and anvils around to do repairs as such, why on earth would anyone expect to be allowed to carry ships around?

(i've read about viking ships carried around on land i think.... in comics anyway. vinland saga.)

anyway... it's been said before.. they pop out of their home ports into nearby seas to patrol (no idea how it works) nothing to do with individual nobles
firefox

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #174: December 02, 2012, 06:55:39 PM »
... you expect to carry a couple of sea going ships around with your average 50 odd people?

if you can't carry forges and anvils around to do repairs as such, why on earth would anyone expect to be allowed to carry ships around?

(i've read about viking ships carried around on land i think.... in comics anyway. vinland saga.)

anyway... it's been said before.. they pop out of their home ports into nearby seas to patrol (no idea how it works) nothing to do with individual nobles
I wasn't arguing for paraphernalia, though Gustav might of. I was simply supplying a source link and wondering the nature of it. I asked if it was paraphernalia because if you have a finite amount then how are they used? Does the lord just click a button to scan or what? Btw, my mechanic questions are also directed at the devs or those that know, not necessarily those I am quoting.
― G.K. Chesterton

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #175: December 02, 2012, 07:00:38 PM »
So does that mean it works now? And is it supposed to be some sort of paraphernalia then?
No, and no.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #176: December 02, 2012, 07:39:34 PM »
I wasn't arguing for paraphernalia, though Gustav might of. I was simply supplying a source link and wondering the nature of it. I asked if it was paraphernalia because if you have a finite amount then how are they used? Does the lord just click a button to scan or what? Btw, my mechanic questions are also directed at the devs or those that know, not necessarily those I am quoting.

I was not arguing for that either. That does not fit the character of the game.

Longmane

• Noble Lord
  • Longmane Family.
    • View Profile
« Reply #177: December 02, 2012, 07:56:08 PM »
Although sea travel doesn't effect me personally just yet with only having chars on the FEI I'd nevertheless still like to recommend an excellant book on the subject if I can, as while it's somewhat of a sizable tomb (heck it seems nearly all those I find myself ending up getting are.  :o ) it's content, both in scope and detail, more then make it well worth the read.

Rose, Susan - Medieval Naval Warfare 1000 - 1500 
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 07:58:44 PM by Longmane »
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.  "Albert Einstein"

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #178: December 02, 2012, 10:03:40 PM »
Navies are still not implemented. They do get production already, so it's not a waste to build a shipyard. Once navies are implemented, the ones you have in stock will automatically be used.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #179: December 02, 2012, 10:52:12 PM »
Navies are still not implemented. They do get production already, so it's not a waste to build a shipyard. Once navies are implemented, the ones you have in stock will automatically be used.
How will they work?
― G.K. Chesterton