Author Topic: Messages from Today  (Read 3588 times)

Charles

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Messages from Today
« Topic Start: October 11, 2012, 03:00:50 AM »
What is the time division for a "day."  I am sure it is very logical for exactly one timezone, but less so for the rest.
Why is it not set with the turn changes? 

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
Re: Messages from Today
« Reply #1: October 11, 2012, 03:49:22 AM »
Probably around 12am forum time, would be my guess.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: October 11, 2012, 04:01:47 AM »
You mean a "day" in-game? I believe that goes by the actual RL date the message was sent. So that would change at Midnight server time. (i.e. 6 hours after the sunset turn (also known as the half turn)).

@Velax: The forum timestamps messages according to the time zone settings you have set in your forum preferences. By default it is set to German time, the same as the game server. But if you change that to your local time zone, then it won't match server time anymore.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: October 11, 2012, 04:09:23 AM »
Oh, fair enough.

Charles

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: October 11, 2012, 04:18:04 AM »
I suppose my point is, most of the time I split up my game "days" according to turn changes (I honestly don't pay much attention to when it is sunset or sunrise).  Would it not make more sense to split it according to turns?

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: October 11, 2012, 04:24:23 AM »
I suppose my point is, most of the time I split up my game "days" according to turn changes (I honestly don't pay much attention to when it is sunset or sunrise).  Would it not make more sense to split it according to turns?

Meh, a "day" is a BM day, starts halfway between sunset and sunrise (midnight), and ends at the next time it reaches this point.

Having the messages cut off at half-turns is usually annoying (to me, at least), but it never felt like it was worth messing up the definition of a "day" for.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: October 11, 2012, 04:43:00 AM »
I suspect the new message system we've been hearing about may change some of this.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: October 11, 2012, 04:51:32 AM »
I suspect the new message system we've been hearing about may change some of this.

I don't think so. Days are still handled the same.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #8: October 11, 2012, 09:01:53 AM »
What is the time division for a "day."  I am sure it is very logical for exactly one timezone, but less so for the rest.
Why is it not set with the turn changes?

In the new message system (upcoming soon), "1 day" will actually mean "the past 24 hours".

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #9: October 11, 2012, 09:03:43 AM »
It actually never occured to me that "day" in the message system could also relate to the turns. That's not a bad idea. I might use it. It's not too difficult to code with the new message system.

We could make it a user-configurable option, even.

If someone likes this, write it up as a feature request so it can be put on the roadmap.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: October 11, 2012, 09:59:05 AM »
not sure different day references mix well with copy/paste.
firefox

Charles

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: October 11, 2012, 05:14:03 PM »
If you are refering to copying "Letter from Noble X (y days, z hours ago)"
The y and z will be the same regardless how days are divided.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: October 12, 2012, 12:25:43 AM »
It actually never occured to me that "day" in the message system could also relate to the turns. That's not a bad idea. I might use it. It's not too difficult to code with the new message system.

We could make it a user-configurable option, even.

If someone likes this, write it up as a feature request so it can be put on the roadmap.

I'd personally rather "the last 24 hours". It's rather annoying to check "messages of today", half an hour after the "new day", only to see that almost all of the messages you had just read in "new" aren't even there.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

egamma

« Reply #13: October 12, 2012, 06:15:08 AM »
Well, someone make it a feature request. I would like the choice of either breaking at the turn, or past 24 hours.

Charles

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: October 13, 2012, 04:28:31 AM »
I can do the feature request.  Just to clarify, are we talking in the forum or bugtracker?