Author Topic: Duke/Margrave Dynamic  (Read 25568 times)

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
Re: Duke/Margrave Dynamic
« Reply #60: October 16, 2012, 06:02:20 AM »
So I just need my character to die to get a duchy named after them? Well I can do that.

Now, Brom or Merlin...
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #61: October 16, 2012, 08:56:05 AM »
exposition

Thanks. I learned something today.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #62: October 16, 2012, 02:19:17 PM »
Why? If the Duchy of Port Nebel is an entity includes both Port Nebel and Raviel, it's fine. My Beluaterra character will soon be Count of Droxago and Duke of Athol Margos, and I don't mind.

What would be weird is if Port Nebel swore allegiance to a different duchy when a Duchy of Port Nebel exists.....

Well, speaking of the devil.... Ossmat is not (no longer?) part of the Duchy of Ossmat.

Scarlett

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #63: October 16, 2012, 02:22:14 PM »
My one complaint with the new system is that adding new Duchies requires some acrobatics with a Duke who has got nothing to do with the new Duchy - only the game doesn't know that.

When I conquer a new stronghold/townsland/city, it gets added to an existing Duchy. That means that the only way to make a new Duke is to get the Duke I want appointed to the new region by the Duke of the existing Duchy, promote them (so they are now Duke + Margrave) and then ask them to shuffle over to some other region if I want a Margrave different from them. Unless I'm missing a piece here. So you end up in a weird situation where the Duke of New Jersey gets to decide (practically, if not legally) who the Duke of New York is going to be.

It should be possible to create new Duchies even if there is not a lord in the "home" region.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #64: October 16, 2012, 02:36:07 PM »
My one complaint with the new system is that adding new Duchies requires some acrobatics with a Duke who has got nothing to do with the new Duchy - only the game doesn't know that.

When I conquer a new stronghold/townsland/city, it gets added to an existing Duchy. That means that the only way to make a new Duke is to get the Duke I want appointed to the new region by the Duke of the existing Duchy, promote them (so they are now Duke + Margrave) and then ask them to shuffle over to some other region if I want a Margrave different from them. Unless I'm missing a piece here. So you end up in a weird situation where the Duke of New Jersey gets to decide (practically, if not legally) who the Duke of New York is going to be.

It should be possible to create new Duchies even if there is not a lord in the "home" region.

My favorite option would be to allow creating a duchy out of a rural region. After all, duchies don't require cities. Creating a duchy out of a lordless region feels off - you're supposed to be promoting someone to the status of Duke.

Ender

• Noble Lord
  • Neill Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #65: October 16, 2012, 02:38:09 PM »
After all, duchies don't require cities.

They don't? I know you cant disband a Duchy unless it is only a city, but I dont think I've ever seen a Duchy missing its city before.

Scarlett

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #66: October 16, 2012, 02:40:39 PM »
It is possible. This was explained to me as an acceptable workaround for rulers who want regions but not cities. I'll use Cathay and Ansopen as an example:

I can create a new Duchy out of Taop right now. The current Duchy has Taop and Ansopen. The new Duchy will just be Taop. I can then appoint myself as Duke of whatever the previous Duchy was and I can be Lord of Ansopen, Duke of used-to-be-Taop, and it'll be a one-region, rural (or in this case, woodland?) Duchy.

It requires cooperation from the previous Duke and is a bit of bureaucratic leg work but I guess it gets the job done.

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #67: October 16, 2012, 02:41:32 PM »
A duchy will still exist even if the city (or cities) join another duchy and only rurals or woodlands, etc are left. It's also possible to create duchies from townslands, so there need never be a city involved at all.

Scarlett

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #68: October 16, 2012, 02:42:37 PM »
you're supposed to be promoting someone to the status of Duke.
Sure, if you're re-organizing your realm. But if you've just conquered a new stronghold or a townsland, it effectively isn't 'you' that's doing the promoting - another Duke gets to decide who goes there and then you promote them.

It'd be like Edward III conquering more of the Aquitaine and then the Duke of Norfolk getting to decide who the Duke of the Aquitaine was.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #69: October 16, 2012, 03:19:44 PM »
They don't? I know you cant disband a Duchy unless it is only a city, but I dont think I've ever seen a Duchy missing its city before.

That's not true. As long as a Duchy has any regions left, you cannot dissolve it.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Ender

• Noble Lord
  • Neill Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #70: October 16, 2012, 03:45:20 PM »
That's not true. As long as a Duchy has any regions left, you cannot dissolve it.

That's right. I forgot I only dissolved the Duchy of Osaliel recently after Osaliel wen't rogue.

I've never had much of an opportunity to play around with the formation of Duchies and Osaliel was the first time I've ever nixed one, so it's all sort of new from a practical, hands on standpoint for me.

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #71: October 16, 2012, 04:44:08 PM »
Tiiiiime to unnotify this thread.  You guys enjoy your discussions. ;)
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

egamma

« Reply #72: October 17, 2012, 04:07:29 AM »
Historical ramblings discussion moved here:

http://forum.battlemaster.org/index.php/topic,3339.0.html

Let's keep this thread on the Battlemaster interpretation of land and titles.