Author Topic: Adventurers Have No User Details  (Read 9886 times)

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
Adventurers Have No User Details
« Topic Start: April 02, 2011, 10:50:46 PM »
This has always bothered me: when I see an adventurer, I can click "user details" and immediately figure out their family.

We don't post family names for advies: how hard would it be to remove the "user details" links or the "view family" links, so that adventurers would be completely anonymous?
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
Re: Adventurers Have No User Details
« Reply #1: April 02, 2011, 11:57:22 PM »
I think this is a very reasonable request.  Anyone concur?
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

Alpha

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: April 03, 2011, 12:08:53 AM »
I think this is a great idea.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: April 03, 2011, 12:09:37 AM »
This has already been considered and rejected.

User details are OOC.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: April 03, 2011, 01:43:58 AM »
Except that people don't treat user details as OOC. We cite banishments all the time.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: April 03, 2011, 05:45:21 AM »
Except that people don't treat user details as OOC. We cite banishments all the time.

Sorry, I should clarify:

Family history is IC for all nobles.

The user details link is of an essentially OOC nature.  There are many reasons why it is a Bad Idea™ to entirely remove the ability to determine who the player of a particular character is from their messages, even if that character is an adventurer.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: April 03, 2011, 11:55:11 AM »
Well, then just have the user info page not show any history or family members if you acces it from an advy character?

If you then go through the trouble of finding another character with the same person playing it to find out what family the advy belongs too, fine by me :)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: April 03, 2011, 02:00:03 PM »
The user info page is the user info page.

Look, there's a reason it says, "User details," and not, "Family details."  If people can't comprehend separation of IC and OOC info, that's their problem.
Timothy Collett

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: April 03, 2011, 07:38:22 PM »
So if I send my advy character to a realm at war with the realm of my noble character, and the advy gets arrested for espionage, that's a wrong move by the person arresting my advy?

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: April 03, 2011, 08:11:26 PM »
So if I send my advy character to a realm at war with the realm of my noble character, and the advy gets arrested for espionage, that's a wrong move by the person arresting my advy?

If you send your noble character to a realm at war with the realm of your other noble character, and either one gets punished for espionage, that's a wrong move.  Unless there's some actual reason to suspect such spying.

I think your real question, though, was "are people allowed to know the family my adventurer is associated with, IC?"  To which my answer would be "yes."  It might take some careful research on their part, but the characters would be able to figure it out sooner or later IC.

That is a completely different question, however, from, "Should people automatically assume that an advy's family is public knowledge?"

There is a big difference between playing within the rules and playing well.
Timothy Collett

Jeckyl

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: April 05, 2011, 01:35:05 PM »

I don't see how. I arrest advies from foreign realms all the time during war. If they are in and around our armies, I can say he looked like a spy, assassin, or thief. If he was in enemy territory, I'll arrest him just so he can't aid the enemy (in any capacity).

The only time anyone has given me trouble over it has actually been from the player of one of the advies, because his noble was a realm mate. Everyone blew him off though because 'a noble should not claim to be related to a commoner.'

egamma

« Reply #11: April 05, 2011, 06:40:53 PM »
I don't see how. I arrest advies from foreign realms all the time during war. If they are in and around our armies, I can say he looked like a spy, assassin, or thief. If he was in enemy territory, I'll arrest him just so he can't aid the enemy (in any capacity).

The only time anyone has given me trouble over it has actually been from the player of one of the advies, because his noble was a realm mate. Everyone blew him off though because 'a noble should not claim to be related to a commoner.'

Here's a situation that happened about a year ago:
1. Advy from Minas Thalion was arrested in Giblot
2. Minas Thalion declared war on Giblot
3. Minas Thalion maintains that the advy is related to one of their nobles, and said that they play advy's as something other than commoners

Of course, I refused to apologize.

Hyral

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: April 05, 2011, 07:30:22 PM »
About two years ago I ran into this situation, and it really bothered me...

-RealmA's judge has advy from NeutralRealm arrested.
-Judge says 'If you don't give me the orders/reports from your noble sister's realm (EnemyOfRealmA) I'll torture you and crush your skills until you feel like talking.'

I was somewhat dumbfounded. It's one thing to figure out that this particular commoner is somehow related that particular noble, but why would my noble be keeping someone whose relation/association/existence is denied by the family up to date with orders and scout reports half a continent away? The judge was basically telling me to OOC copy/paste links from another character! Maybe it isn't against the rules, but stuff like that makes me think that we really do need to take steps to make advies more anonymous. Like have advy 'user details' just show the user ID (for cases of abuse or what have you)

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: April 05, 2011, 08:50:21 PM »
About two years ago I ran into this situation, and it really bothered me...

-RealmA's judge has advy from NeutralRealm arrested.
-Judge says 'If you don't give me the orders/reports from your noble sister's realm (EnemyOfRealmA) I'll torture you and crush your skills until you feel like talking.'

I was somewhat dumbfounded. It's one thing to figure out that this particular commoner is somehow related that particular noble, but why would my noble be keeping someone whose relation/association/existence is denied by the family up to date with orders and scout reports half a continent away? The judge was basically telling me to OOC copy/paste links from another character! Maybe it isn't against the rules, but stuff like that makes me think that we really do need to take steps to make advies more anonymous. Like have advy 'user details' just show the user ID (for cases of abuse or what have you)

What the hell?  That's...I hope you reported the guy.  That's just nuts and a complete OOC abuse.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: April 05, 2011, 09:22:16 PM »
What the hell?  That's...I hope you reported the guy.  That's just nuts and a complete OOC abuse.

Really? You're not allowed to threaten someone with torture unless they betray their family/realm?
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.