Author Topic: Spend Time...  (Read 5485 times)

Eldargard

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Spend Time...
« Topic Start: October 13, 2012, 08:24:10 PM »
I was thinking that it would be nice to have an option under the Action page to spend time. On just about anything. There are plenty of times when characters role play spending time on activities that take time but have no buttons. I think it would be cool if I could decide that I am playing a game of chess and deduct two hours from my time pool. It would be completely optional and I think that some people could find it useful.

Zakilevo

Re: Spend Time...
« Reply #1: October 13, 2012, 08:25:22 PM »
This doesn't seem to do anything productive for the game...

Alpha

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: October 13, 2012, 08:56:44 PM »
I believe this is covered by the 8-12 hours that you don't get per day.

Roleplay what you like.

Lanyon

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: October 13, 2012, 09:43:19 PM »
rest men would cover this option too if you have a unit. or just don't use the hours.

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
« Reply #4: October 13, 2012, 10:44:03 PM »
As a priest and a diplomat, I'm able to use 16 hours in a 12 hour period.  I just chalk it up to be being more efficent than you armor wearers! >.>

D'Espana

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: October 16, 2012, 01:22:58 AM »
I was thinking that it would be nice to have an option under the Action page to spend time. On just about anything. There are plenty of times when characters role play spending time on activities that take time but have no buttons. I think it would be cool if I could decide that I am playing a game of chess and deduct two hours from my time pool. It would be completely optional and I think that some people could find it useful.

I'm ALL for it. I nearly proposed this several times, just to get rid of the annoying hours left when you are a warrior and "your men are bored to death and do not want anymore rest". Heck, I'm saying I'm giving you free time, now get off the camp and pick up some whores of something, damned ungrateful lads. When we are waging war you lose morale for fighting, when you do not fight you are bored and want to do something. Just !@#$ off and buy yourselves an opinion and a life!

Sigh. I would indeed appreciate a couple of choices (praying and going to hunt would do the trick for me) so you can just spend as much hours for you want in exchange for a pretty regional message saying that "Rumours have that Lord Kepler has gone hunting for five hours, managing a bear and a boar in the process". Has it any purpose? No, besides bragging (or being laughed at, if the only thing you catch is a cold) and getting rid of the excedent hours. It could even be useful to infiltrators (No, I didn't stab Lady Keplerina, in fact I was praying in the temple the whole day. Ask the priest!)

But I know there are many more things who would come first to this, even if it is accepted. So, I'll leave it with a +1 and my best wishes for this to see the light.
D'Espana Family

Eldargard

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: October 16, 2012, 06:52:10 AM »
Thank you, D'Espana, for adding the clarity and flavor my original post lacked. This is exactly the kind of usage I was seeking. It can be particular useful for Priests with lots of hours and a lot of role play. If I role play my priest having a present dinner and conversation with the local lord, I would like to deduct the hours from my time pool.

I agree that this can be done in most cases by resting your men and then sending a roleplay to the region (or whatever your intended audience is). The priest, however, does not have an option similar to ‘rest your men.’ To the best of my knowledge at least.

Besides, it would be cool to have the game post to the region what it is you are choosing to do with your time, as suggested by D’Espana. I do agree, however, that this is not something the game is in dire need of as most players are perfectly happy keeping and using every hour possible.

In the meantime, is anyone aware of an option available to priests that, like the ‘rest your men’ option, simply uses up hours?

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: October 16, 2012, 01:16:49 PM »
In the meantime, is anyone aware of an option available to priests that, like the ‘rest your men’ option, simply uses up hours?

There is none, and there is no need for one, as having extra hours as a priest doesn't actually do anything. Once you hit 16, any extra hours you would accumulate just disappear.

I don't see an option like this ever being added. If you want to RP your character as doing something that takes up all his time for a particular day, just don't do anything that requires hours on that day. The hours you would have used will simply be wasted, as 8 more hours that would have been added to your time pool next turn vanish into the aether.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #8: October 16, 2012, 06:42:42 PM »
I'm ALL for it. I nearly proposed this several times, just to get rid of the annoying hours left when you are a warrior and "your men are bored to death and do not want anymore rest". Heck, I'm saying I'm giving you free time, now get off the camp and pick up some whores of something, damned ungrateful lads. When we are waging war you lose morale for fighting, when you do not fight you are bored and want to do something. Just !@#$ off and buy yourselves an opinion and a life!

Sigh. I would indeed appreciate a couple of choices (praying and going to hunt would do the trick for me) so you can just spend as much hours for you want in exchange for a pretty regional message saying that "Rumours have that Lord Kepler has gone hunting for five hours, managing a bear and a boar in the process". Has it any purpose? No, besides bragging (or being laughed at, if the only thing you catch is a cold) and getting rid of the excedent hours. It could even be useful to infiltrators (No, I didn't stab Lady Keplerina, in fact I was praying in the temple the whole day. Ask the priest!)

But I know there are many more things who would come first to this, even if it is accepted. So, I'll leave it with a +1 and my best wishes for this to see the light.

Thing is, you don't NEED an option like this. A) From a purely military standpoint of moving between regions, you can delay indefinitely with a combination of Field camp and training. B) Adding a game mechanic purely for RP is a useless venture. It's the lazy man's way out, when he doesn't want to type out a full RP or include anyone else...

D'Espana

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: October 16, 2012, 11:56:16 PM »
Thing is, you don't NEED an option like this. A) From a purely military standpoint of moving between regions, you can delay indefinitely with a combination of Field camp and training. B) Adding a game mechanic purely for RP is a useless venture. It's the lazy man's way out, when he doesn't want to type out a full RP or include anyone else...

Sure, you don't NEED it. I stated very clearly that I knew that many things would come before this, even if accepted. However, what you're saying isn't exactly true: once your men are bored, you can't field camp anymore, and you can use only up to eight hours for training (and I know this to be true, it has happened to me two or three turns ago) Besides, if you are low on funds or high in equipment damage, training just to waste hours seems not a good idea to me. And even better, what if you don't have a unit?

Finally, I also want to say that it might seem as the lazy man's way out, but it is also the busy man's way out. Everyone playing with me has already suffered from my set and very limited periods of activity (which are usually a little before I go to sleep), and in some cases I can't write a proper RP even if I want to.

But yeah, I get what Anaris and you are trying to say. This is something that I would like to have, but don't see as necessary or pressing. Just cool and (for me, as a maniac who doesn't like to see any hours left unused) useful.
D'Espana Family

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: October 17, 2012, 12:53:34 AM »
once your men are bored, you can't field camp anymore, and you can use only up to eight hours for training (and I know this to be true, it has happened to me two or three turns ago)

This is intentional. If you start traveling, and want to delay your arrival, that's what the "delay arrival" option is for.

If you need to delay your arrival beyond that, then someone has probably badly miscalculated.

In general, I would say that even if this option were implemented, it would be possible only when stationary.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

D'Espana

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: October 17, 2012, 01:27:28 AM »
I guess so, I was just replying to the "you can delay indefinitely with a combination of Field camp and training" statement. I do not intend to change this, as I agree that it would not be good to let someone stay between two regions forever.

And I also agree with the stationary restriction. Seriously, the main intention is just to do something with those disturbing two or three hours that we all have had to simply waste at some time. I know that it may seem as not worth the effort, but please don't say that game mechanics for the sake of RP are not permited, statues will fall exactly in that category of game mechanics.
D'Espana Family

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: October 17, 2012, 02:29:56 AM »
And I also agree with the stationary restriction. Seriously, the main intention is just to do something with those disturbing two or three hours that we all have had to simply waste at some time.

I never find it disturbing when I have extra hours in my time pool at the end of the turn. It just means I'll have the opportunity to do more next turn.
Timothy Collett

DamnTaffer

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: October 17, 2012, 02:48:12 AM »
Idea seems dumb... You want to RP playing chess all day.. then  just write a roleplay and don't spend your hours. Having a button like this is about as useful as the "attack the router" button that was on infils...

Which I never did accumulate the guts to go through with ...(got all the way to the yes i'd like to delete my character button)

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: October 17, 2012, 03:23:17 AM »
I never find it disturbing when I have extra hours in my time pool at the end of the turn. It just means I'll have the opportunity to do more next turn.
not for people like me who make it a practice to always have 12 hours after turn change not 8. Also, it does kinda bug me wasting hours, ( not using then, not the same as using them on something that doesn't do much), right now I have 2 unitless characters, one a priest without preaching rights and another just without a unit at the moment, both stuck in a region because they are talking with people at that location personally instead of through letters.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton