Author Topic: Sevastian and Hendrick take a little trip.  (Read 1746 times)

Woelfy

• Mighty Duke
  • I'm baaaaack
    • View Profile
Sevastian and Hendrick take a little trip.
« Topic Start: October 22, 2012, 07:02:22 AM »
Roleplay between Hendrick Madigan and Sevastian Guile, immediately preceding the wedding of Jonsu and Sevastian, and right after the execution of Jeffrey Norrel. An attempt to liven things up and develop some interesting character traits due to... Well, you'll see.

----------
Arriving at the Broken Spirits House on the northwestern corner of Ash and Vine, Sevastian looks energized for the night ahead. His dark hair and grey eyes gleam in the meager light of his favoured drinking hole. The chatter ceases as the Arbiter walks in without his usual retinue of hangers-on, and even without his Captain. A few hands wave from a nearby table, but otherwise most try to cover up the fact that they recognized the man. With his dark cloak open, showing the fine cut of his clothing and the ruby hilted blade at his hip, he saunters to the bar and orders a bottle of sweet white wine and an order of braised beef shank.

Noticing an old man in the corner whom he did not recognize, Sevastian motions for the grey-hair to join him. The old man shakes his head and motions instead for Sevastian to come to him. Feeling as if the old man could not possibly pose a threat to him, he gets up to join him at his table.

"M'lord, I have a gift to you from your brother in Thalmarkin. Lord Grand Wizard Jaeger sends his congratulations for your recent acquisition of the Crown and your coming marriage. Be cautious with these Your Grace, they are potent and you could have a stranger reaction than you did when a child being taught of them. Forget not that they have the power of the arcane within them." having said this, he hands over a large leather bag that smells of truffles and mushrooms. The old man then bows and shuffles away, leaving Sevastian with a strange sense of anxiety and even more excitement.

Promptly, his food and beverage arrive, and he begins the arduous chore of stomaching real food.
----------

Hendrick Madigan dismounted before the Broken Spirits House and sighed. Days from now, he would be marching through that intolerable Desert with an army that seemed meager compared to the Novans. At least his new title was some solace, though the peasantry got a strange look about them when they hailed "Lord Battlemaster!".

He carefully avoided the mud of the common street, fastidiously lifting his cape and guarding a wrapped parcel in his hands. The former Preda was dressed for the revelry, in a doublet of black and gold, brand new gold hoops in Summer Islands style in his earlobes, and a long vermillion cape, embroidered with the Madigan stag. As he pushed through the door, his hand rested on his sword. When one when carousing with Sevastian Guile, they seldom knew what to expect.

As he entered, an older man hurriedly scuttled out of the Broken Spirits, nearly knocking over the slight Lord of Mattan Dews. By the time Hendrick turned to reproach the man, he was gone.

Perturbed, Hendrick made his demand for gin from a passing bar wench and made his way over to the Lord Arbiter, setting the package on the table before him.

"My congratulations on your eminent nuptials, my Lord. I hope you won't mind if I join you. I have brought a gift as a token of my regard - " Hendrick glanced at the strange smelling pouch " - Though I see I have been beaten to it by another".
----------

"Aha! Just the man I wanted to see! Do sit down good Hendrick." Sevastian says as he kicks a chair out from under the table.

"Yes indeed, you were beaten to it. My brother on that blasted rock Beluaterra sent me something to alleviate the stress of these trying times." gently patting the stuffed bag, releasing more of it's pungent odor.

Quickly finishing what had previously seemed a much larger meal, he turns to the Lord Battlemaster and looks inquiringly at the parcel on the table. "And what praytell is that oddly shaped thing?"
----------

The emaciated youth watched in awe as the massive amounts of roast meat vanished before his eyes and accepted the gin from the barmaid with an unsettled demenor.

Hendrick cleared his throat with an air of obvious pride and excessive showmanship.

"Oh, this? Why it is nothing, my lord. I had been thinking the other day on what to present you with on this fine day, when it occurred to me: What does his lordship mention more than anything? A hat!"

Hendrick took a liberal quaff of his juniper scented poison and, with the pauses and drama of an actor on stag, gestured to the parcel, carefully playing off his audience.

"But no mere hat would do, not for Sevastian Guile! So I had contracted the finest hatters in the realm, the most mercury-addled professionals, to craft the most dandy, most handsome hat in all the land of Dwilight, nay - the world!".

With a flourish, Hendrick undid the wrapping and revealed a hat to best all hats. Made of black felt that seemed finer than any velvet, with a band of blood red, complimenting a lining of red silk of the highest quality. Hendrick slowly lifted the hat, the almost razor-fine brim resting delicately in his hands.

"My Lord Arbiter, I present to you, The Hat".
----------

"By Castus' bleeding paddle man! Now that is a hat! So handsome, so fine, so... Perfectly delightful! Wherever did you find a capable... Never mind that now." he says while gingerly taking the offered cranial garb and placing it on his head. A good fit when set at a somewhat jaunty angle, The Hat matches perfectly with Sevastian's colours.

"My deep gratitude Lord Battlemaster! I must find something equally ideal when it comes time for your official wedding! Tell that wandering Lady Alice to hurry up so you can get on with it." he says, gently running his fingers along the brim with a seeming purr of satisfaction.

Hefting the bag from the old man onto the table and leaning in close, Sevastian whispers so none can hear but Hendrick, "In this bag lies magic. When one eats these, a spiritual journey is ensured. I've only done them by myself before and always to spectacular effects. Fortunately or not, depending on perspective, House Guile has a natural sorcerous talent that is in all males of the line. With these," he says patting the bag gently, "that talent can go rather...independent of control, for lack of a better term. If you would brave the journey, I would share the experience with you. Fair warning, it changes you inside your head. Having used these is the one time I saw Castus himself... It was..... Lifechanging."
----------

A red rose in Hendrick's cheeks from the compliment and the mention of his bride to be as his grin widened.

"I am honored that The Hat merits your approval my lord. I had hoped you would find it suitable. I can only imagine what gift you will find for a wedding such as mine...Ah the perils of marrying a priestess...".

Hendrick's eyes focused on the bag as Sevastian spoke, his long fingers drumming on the tabletop, the gin settling in his blood.

"I consider myself a man never to shy away from unique experiences, my lord. It would be a rare privilege to wander along some unknown path with you. I can only wonder at what strange sights we will see, with minds such as we have. In the Summer Isles we have something similar but never so..." Hendrick took a careful sniff of the pouch, "Potent as this".

The Battlemaster drained his liquor and squared his shoulders.
"I am ready when you are, my lord".
----------

Grabbing the bottle of wine and waving at the serving girl for another, Sevastian grabs up his bag, Hat atop his head and moves towards the door. Waiting for the young girl to deliver his bottle for later, he whistles a short melody that had gotten stuck in his head some days earlier on the road back from Girich, "The Savior of the North". When the girl arrives, Sevastian promptly nods and begins moving out towards the horses.

"I believe it best we head to the palace for this. No need to expose others to what may follow." mounting up, he turns towards his recently acquired abode and sets off... The Hat staying perfectly atop his head.
----------
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 07:14:21 AM by Woelfy »

Woelfy

• Mighty Duke
  • I'm baaaaack
    • View Profile
Re: Sevastian and Hendrick take a little trip.
« Reply #1: October 22, 2012, 07:12:03 AM »
Hendrick swung up atop his horse, wishing that he too had a hat as fine and dandy as his lord's.

"Of course my lord. No need to debase ourselves before these poor folk. Gods only know what might happen...".

Hendrick caught the familiar tune Sevastian whistled and smiled to himself. That Bastard Bard, what had ever happened to him? What a typical Madigan, wrote three masterpieces, fell in love, and vanished forever. He whistled along with the Arbiter, occasionally tossing in some words, before the two switched to a bawdier ballad.

"Once my Overlord came to me
And said my dear, pray harken and see
A son I need, a priest he will be
To rescue me from lock and key.

So he hefted his spear and leapt astride
And with his paltry instrument trust inside
Scare a minute had passed or less besides
Til the Overlord finished his premature ride.

Now nine months later it was plain and clear
A little foul beast had grown in here
I asked for his name and was shocked to hear
"1st Son - of many to be born, my dear"

Now many years later and my body ails
You'd think after nine sons his ardor would fail
But my Overlord still lifts his tiny tail
To make those wicked sons to save him from jail.

How I wish I had a strong and handsome mate
Like King Fingolfin, the Fiercesome and Great
But instead I have this beastly husband I hate
With a great fat gut and a balding pate.

So gentlemen of the realm please harken to me
And listen to the Overlady, sad as can be:
You're all tired of these son, its plain to see
Well try bouncing NINE on your poor old knee."

By the time they reached the palace, the drink had softened Hendrick's mind to put him in as fine a mood as could be asked for, happy for once to have a friend that would not try and stab him in the back or end up dying in his defense.

The guards showed the men through the gates and doors without pause. To make the Arbiter wait was a grave offense, and the title 'Battlemaster' was fiercer indeed than 'Preda'. In time, the two reached Sevastian's study, sent the servants away, and let their song cease.

"Shall we, my lord?"
----------

Hanging his heavy cloak on a rack by the door, Sevastian moves into the large room and stretches; wine bottles in one hand and leather bag in the other. Placing the wine bottles down on a fine stone topped sideboard lining the wall across from the fireplace, he then sets the bag on top and releases the leather cinch. Mushrooms tumble out, some looking ferocious in their vivid colouring. 

Uncorking both bottles, he then pours the contents into two large flagons. 

"Wary the taste, it's a bit earthy. I am glad you are willing to do this... It should be interesting to say the least." picking out several long-stemmed caps of a vibrant jade he hands them to Hendrick,  and picks out even more of a dark blue for himself. "It may take a little while for them to do their work, but they always do."

Grabbing his flagon and moving to a comfy high backed chair near the fire, Sevastian plops down unceremoniously and curses the war for ruining good leisure time.
----------

Taking his wine and his mushrooms, Hendrick lowered himself into the chair across from the Arbiter, wondering again at whether he will make it home to his ladylove after the course of this war. He waved off the dark thoughts and swallowed his wine with the air of a man who has not had a good drink in his life. The normally high strung lord relaxed and let out a long breath, looking at the jade wonders in his palm.

He raised his flagon to Sevastian and grinned in the firelight.
"To the end of bachelorhood and the wonders ahead, my lord". And with that toast, Hendrick popped the treasures of the mind into his mouth.
----------

"Cheers indeed! The end of bachelorhood, an interesting prospect." Following suit, Sevastian chews his mushrooms to a pulp and washes it down with a good bit of wine. 

The two men pass the time amicably, chatting of this and that, until over an hour later Sevastian starts to feel a bit disappointed in the effects of this batch. None of the usual colour enhancement, sound emphasis, nor odd tingling sensation that he remembered from his training.

"I grow weary of this setting, as good a time as it has been. Shall we relocate to one of the balconies above? I desire a good pull on my pipe about now, and I do not smoke indoors. Odd habit, but it gives me an excuse to see the sky."

Checking to make sure The Hat was still in it's proper place, Sevastian opens the door into the corridor. Stepping through into the hallway, he looks up and down in either direction searching for a stairwell that might take him to one of the higher passages within the palace. Picking a direction seemingly at random, he begins walking in a very languid manner.

They pass many things along the way, closed doors, artwork, statuary, and even a room with the door ajar that a lilting string melody was wafting out of. Not wanting to disturb the player of whatever instrument might be sounding, Sevastian hurries past the door and trips on the carpeting. His balance off-center all of a sudden, causes him to pitch forward and sidelong into of all things: a full length looking glass.

Instead of just hitting the glass and dealing with broken shards and bad luck, Sevastian seems to get pulled into the looking glass and disappears.
----------

Standing in the empty hallway and not really knowing what just happened, Hendrick moves towards the looking-glass tentatively. Bringing up his right hand, he tries to touch the smooth glass surface and is pulled in after Sevastian.
----------

Several hours later, both men wake up in the corridor with throbbing backaches and wonders running through their minds. Sevastian turns to look at the looking-glass into which he remembered falling, and notices a shock of white hair at his temple marring his otherwise dark locks. Completely stunned, he removes The Hat and moves closer for a better look. Upon reviewing himself so, he cannot help but notice his eyes are a whirlwind of colour... Changing rapidly from green to red, to palest blue and into a deep violet. No pattern discernible, the Arbiter shrugs it off and helps Hendrick up.       

With a strange choked laugh, Sevastian says, "Well, that was a most... Odd? Off? On! Mirror? Writing desk? Hmm... You know what I mean... I daresay we both should retire until the wedding... I need to..." and with his words trailing off into incoherent muttering with the occasional snarl, he wanders to his room without awaiting a reply and locks himself within.
----------

Hendrick watched the strangely changed man walk away and rocked unsteadily on his feet. Patting his body for injury, giggling slightly at the strange sensation of moving through the air.
The things he had seen! If only he could articulate them to somebody. Moving game pieces, vorpal blades, Balint as a rabbit. A worthwhile experience indeed.
As he ruminated on the bizarre journey through the looking glass, he remembered the changes that had come over Sevastian and slowly turned to see his reflection.

Nothing out of the ordinary, at first. His usual self - though he felt a curiously strong desire for tea coursing through his body. It wasn't until he stepped closer that he noticed.
"Oh dear".
His ears poked from his dark blonde hair, undeniably longer and pointier, so much so that he appeared almost...hare-like. Curiouser and curiouser. What to do?
"Think Hendrick, think! What will you do now? What solves everything?". The lord snapped his fingers. "Of course! Tea! Tea parties! China cups! Delicious cakes! Small sandwiches cut in little shapes and filled with cress and egg and cucumber! By the gods, why am I not having tea right this instant?".
And with that, Hendrick made for his quarters, already daydreaming of milk and honey and of course, tea.
----------