Author Topic: Leaving the army  (Read 3276 times)

Eldargard

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Leaving the army
« Topic Start: October 15, 2012, 08:34:54 AM »
My character abandoned his estate while assigned to an army. I had assumed that I would automatically be removed from the army as my character, in theory, only serves at his lords whim. It turns out I was wrong. At this point I am not sure how to get my character removed. I asked his former liege, the king and the army sponsor and they all say that they can not remove my character from the army. Their best suggestion was to take an estate, have the lord remove my character from the army, then abandon the estate.

While that is perfectly functional and would do the job I am not a big fan of the solution. My character takes oaths very seriously and it just feels wrong to me – especially on Dwilight. Is there no other way for my character to be removed from the army that makes sense in character?

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
Re: Leaving the army
« Reply #1: October 15, 2012, 08:36:50 AM »
No, there's no other way without disbanding the army or joining another realm.

Eldargard

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: October 15, 2012, 08:37:54 AM »
Ouch... I guess I will be staying in the army!

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #3: October 15, 2012, 10:06:59 AM »
It should, however, be fixed. We have the same issue with rulers and dukes.

mikm

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: October 15, 2012, 06:50:06 PM »
I remember having a character removed from the army after becoming general. Does that happen?

egamma

« Reply #5: October 15, 2012, 09:17:50 PM »
I remember having a character removed from the army after becoming general. Does that happen?

No, there's no other way without disbanding the army or joining another realm.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: October 16, 2012, 01:08:28 AM »
Become a lord yourself, and re-assign you. That's still an option.

Becoming a priest may also do the trick.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Eldargard

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: October 16, 2012, 06:24:17 AM »
My character was a priest prior to leaving his estate. He has also decided that he will not hold positions of power outside of his religion, so that prevents him from seeking or accepting a lordship - unless he has a change of heart in the future. That is why he left his estate in the first place.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: October 16, 2012, 01:32:01 PM »
Find some lord with an empty estate, and send him an OOC about the army thing, and see if he'll agree to let you take an estate long enough for him to remove you from the army. As long as you let him know before hand that you're just trying to work around this unfortunate limitation, it shouldn't be any big deal.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: October 17, 2012, 02:01:09 AM »
Find some lord with an empty estate, and send him an OOC about the army thing, and see if he'll agree to let you take an estate long enough for him to remove you from the army. As long as you let him know before hand that you're just trying to work around this unfortunate limitation, it shouldn't be any big deal.

You can both then pretend it never happened.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: October 17, 2012, 03:29:09 AM »
this is one thing I don't like, it's ok to meta to get around some situations a character should be able to do and can't, but not ok for other situations.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: October 17, 2012, 04:26:43 AM »
Personally, I think it's OK to metagame some simple things to get around broken mechanics, and incomplete implementations, and has no effect on anyone else in the game at all. The only reason that a noble can't get out of an army without being a knight/lord is because the interface to do so has not yet been designed/coded. It's a workaround, not an exploit or abuse.

What's not OK to metagame is when a certain function is specifically not included on purpose. Or when you are using a function to do something other than the way it was designed, in order to achieve a different purpose.

In other words, I consider it OK to OOC work this out with a lord to get yourself out of the army. That's a workaround to an unintended situation that should/will be fixed.

But I don't consider it OK for the duke of the duchy that contains the realm's capital to swap allegiance to another realm, then immediately secede from that realm, simply because he's not allowed to secede from the original realm. That's an abuse of the game mechanics to do something that is specifically not allowed.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

egamma

« Reply #12: October 17, 2012, 02:38:15 PM »
But I don't consider it OK for the duke of the duchy that contains the realm's capital to swap allegiance to another realm, then immediately secede from that realm, simply because he's not allowed to secede from the original realm. That's an abuse of the game mechanics to do something that is specifically not allowed.

Well, there go all my well-laid plans...

J/K, nobody's ever trusted me with a city...  :o

By the way, whatever method that Namtrah used to loot Icegate while a member of Makar, has that been fixed? Because that would be fun to do.

BardicNerd

• Noble Lord
  • Evans Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: October 17, 2012, 09:12:31 PM »
Personally, I think it's OK to metagame some simple things to get around broken mechanics, and incomplete implementations, and has no effect on anyone else in the game at all. The only reason that a noble can't get out of an army without being a knight/lord is because the interface to do so has not yet been designed/coded. It's a workaround, not an exploit or abuse.

What's not OK to metagame is when a certain function is specifically not included on purpose. Or when you are using a function to do something other than the way it was designed, in order to achieve a different purpose.

In other words, I consider it OK to OOC work this out with a lord to get yourself out of the army. That's a workaround to an unintended situation that should/will be fixed.

The problem one runs into is that different people have different opinions as to what is simply broken and what is not included on purpose.  While we'd like to think that people can figure out cases that should be 'obvious,' the fact is that we all come from different backgrounds, with different expectations, and none of us can read Tom's mind.

That said, it's moot in this case since Tom has said this is something that needs to be fixed, so at least for this issue we have a common reference point.