Author Topic: Leaving in a huff  (Read 19271 times)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Leaving in a huff
« Topic Start: October 15, 2012, 01:38:22 PM »
There have now been a few incidents of players declaring that they're leaving a thread (or even the forum) because they're disgusted with it for one reason or another, and either deleting all their posts themselves, or demanding that a mod do so.

I would argue that this should not be something mods should do, unless their posts in the thread are pretty obviously inflammatory (and in that case, they shouldn't be waiting until the person asks!). The sole purpose seems to be along the lines of, "I don't want to talk with you guys anymore, and if I can't defend them, I don't want my posts hanging around to be discussed!" This is an immature attitude, and seems to me to be at odds with the spirit of the forums.

However, I'm not a mod of any sort, so I thought I'd open a discussion on the subject.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
Re: Leaving in a huff
« Reply #1: October 15, 2012, 02:18:42 PM »
The mods are not for cleaning up for other people. I think that settles it.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: October 15, 2012, 06:19:12 PM »
I'm fairly certain that a poster can delete their own posts. And if they started the thread, doesn't that delete the whole thread?
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: October 15, 2012, 06:59:08 PM »
I'm fairly certain that a poster can delete their own posts. And if they started the thread, doesn't that delete the whole thread?

I think it's a separate thing, but yes, original posters can delete threads that they started.

I know we were talking about the possibility of disabling that, though, due to its having been used in just this sort of manner (deleting an entire thread in a fit of pique when the OP didn't get the validation they wanted, or whatever). Tom, did you determine whether it's possible to remove that permission from the thread starter?
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

egamma

« Reply #4: October 15, 2012, 09:21:06 PM »
The mods are not for cleaning up for other people. I think that settles it.

What if all the posts from a particular person are offtopic, and all the replies to those posts? Can we delete offtopic posts?

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: October 15, 2012, 09:22:35 PM »
What if all the posts from a particular person are offtopic, and all the replies to those posts? Can we delete offtopic posts?

Offtopic posts should be split to a separate topic, not deleted, except in unusual circumstances (like a thread Tom starts specifically for one purpose, that people start cluttering up with junk).
Timothy Collett

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: October 15, 2012, 10:52:42 PM »
Offtopic posts should be split to a separate topic, not deleted, except in unusual circumstances (like a thread Tom starts specifically for one purpose, that people start cluttering up with junk).
As long as its not in feature request or development, does it really matter if there are a few off topic posts? I just don't see the importance of keeping all threads on-topic outside of the development and feature request board.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #7: October 16, 2012, 12:27:35 AM »
As long as its not in feature request or development, does it really matter if there are a few off topic posts? I just don't see the importance of keeping all threads on-topic outside of the development and feature request board.

As mentioned, sometimes a topic has a particular purpose. Like the Sea Travel Feedback topic where I don't want to have discussions so everyone can focus on feedback.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: October 16, 2012, 01:05:31 AM »
As mentioned, sometimes a topic has a particular purpose. Like the Sea Travel Feedback topic where I don't want to have discussions so everyone can focus on feedback.
Which is on the development board. I agree with the need to stay on topic on development and feature request but outside of there what is an example of a topic serving a particular purpose?
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: October 16, 2012, 02:51:36 AM »
I agree, I don't see the point in the off-topic snipping. It's a forum, meandering discussion is kind of the point.

Especially when said off-topic pruning is incredibly random and inconsistent to begin with.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #10: October 16, 2012, 11:28:01 AM »
Which is on the development board. I agree with the need to stay on topic on development and feature request but outside of there what is an example of a topic serving a particular purpose?

The "post facebook news here" stickies in the island sub-forums, for example.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: October 17, 2012, 03:43:28 AM »
The "post facebook news here" stickies in the island sub-forums, for example.
i don't mean to be except this to everything but that's the only thing I can think of. Basically, IMO, you are saying this for specific things but in general off-topic chatter doesn't matter. Also with the Facebook thing, off-topic chatter they should be somewhat lenient as they might be discussing news so it can be accurately described.
― G.K. Chesterton

Azerax

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: October 18, 2012, 03:46:59 AM »
i don't mean to be except this to everything but that's the only thing I can think of. Basically, IMO, you are saying this for specific things but in general off-topic chatter doesn't matter. Also with the Facebook thing, off-topic chatter they should be somewhat lenient as they might be discussing news so it can be accurately described.

I've seen two types of discussions branch out from the facebook threads, one is clarifying and expressing different point of views of a situation, which I believe is fine.  The other basically comes down to arguing with the posted topic and becomes propaganda. 
I do welcome both types, I'd just like the different views in the thread and the propaganda happen on facebook itself.

I do think the mods are lenient on those threads, it's a learning experience for all of us and we'll eventually find the happy median.

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: October 18, 2012, 03:53:15 AM »
I've seen two types of discussions branch out from the facebook threads, one is clarifying and expressing different point of views of a situation, which I believe is fine.  The other basically comes down to arguing with the posted topic and becomes propaganda. 
I do welcome both types, I'd just like the different views in the thread and the propaganda happen on facebook itself.

I do think the mods are lenient on those threads, it's a learning experience for all of us and we'll eventually find the happy median.

Really the next step that needs to happen humor-wise is for people to start making FB accounts for realms and "arguing" on the BM status updates.

"Morek Empire and Astrum's long alliance has broken down and war looks likely to ensue!"
---"Morek: OMG! Astrum you're such a bitch!"
---"Astrum: Shut up! You shall be cleansed by the holy fires of Astroism for your heresy!
---"Kabrinskia: LMFAO"
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
« Reply #14: October 20, 2012, 05:31:27 AM »

Really the next step that needs to happen humor-wise is for people to start making FB accounts for realms and "arguing" on the BM status updates.

"Morek Empire and Astrum's long alliance has broken down and war looks likely to ensue!"
---"Morek: OMG! Astrum you're such a bitch!"
---"Astrum: Shut up! You shall be cleansed by the holy fires of Astroism for your heresy!
---"Kabrinskia: LMFAO"
Not for a realm, but I am so doing this for the Church of Humanity.

https://www.facebook.com/HolyChurchOfHumanity