Author Topic: About referendums  (Read 6698 times)

egamma

Re: About referendums
« Reply #15: October 18, 2012, 07:47:06 PM »
Why don't you just pass a realm law, and punish anyone who breaks it? They are completely non-binding in any game mechanics fashion. And you can't stop anyone from taking a straw poll anyway.

True, but people seem to be getting all sorts of upset when I create a referendum. "You're not the judge! You're playing judge! You can't create laws! Your referendum gave me the clap!"

Actually, I would prefer it if someone used that last one, instead of acting like we're in a Tyranny where referendums are illegal, or claiming that I'm some sort of tyrant for starting a referendum. The crazies aren't in Outer Tilog--they're in Oritolon.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: October 19, 2012, 02:29:50 AM »
Then you either have to deal with them getting angry about it, or stop making them.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Charles

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: October 19, 2012, 05:26:20 AM »
My favourite is when people who lose the referendum complain after the results come out.  "But that referendum was not official, it was not created by the Judge" 
I seem to recall needing to have a referendum three times (all with the same result) before they could not come up with any new complaints.

egamma

« Reply #18: October 19, 2012, 07:18:12 AM »
Then you either have to deal with them getting angry about it, or stop making them.

Or they can create a feature request like this one. I'm not angry, they are.  ;D

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: October 19, 2012, 01:24:12 PM »
Which is why I said "you have to deal with them getting angry".

I don't see any reason for a game mechanic to change with this. If a realm wants to restrict them, they can pass an IC law.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.