Author Topic: OOC Accusations of cheating on the Forum  (Read 14591 times)

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
Re: OOC Accusations of cheating on the Forum
« Reply #30: October 23, 2012, 06:12:23 PM »
A verdict has been reached, and no IG enforcement actions are necessary. For anyone who desires to cite this case in the future, the final verdict was:

"The Magistrates hold that they have jurisdiction in cases arising from the forum, provided that three conditions hold: first, that a connection between a forum account and a user ID exists; second, that forum moderators have already attempted to redress the issue by comment deletion or thread control as necessary; third, that such means have failed to resolve or end the dispute, and it is of such a nature as to arouse general concern or interest."

"In this case, we find that, while Aaron has privately confirmed to the Magistrates details of his accusations and has submitted all information to the Titans, he violated the social contract in making a public accusation of cheating without evidence. We note that he has confessed his error multiple times, and attempted to clarify the issue. He has also attempted to rectify the issue with regards to players who may have been unjustly or injuriously accused, either implicitly or explicitly, of being cheaters. Even so, his accusation was inappropriate. We thus find him guilty, but, given moderator actions which have occurred and his own behavior since the incident, believe a warning to be sufficient, on the expectation that the behavior will not repeat itself."

"Furthermore, the Magistrates wish to offer guidance with regards to discussions of cheating cases on the forum: namely, any case involving the Social Contract, and especially cheating of any kind, which may be ongoing, should not be discussed in any manner outside of the deliberations of the Magistrates or Titans themselves, except insofar as may be necessary for Magistrates or Titans to gather necessary information. If you have accused someone of cheating to the Titans, keep it to yourself. It is especially imprudent and damaging to the community to issue accusations against groups or group labels, which may include entirely innocent or unrelated players. "

Magistrates voted 2-4-1 in favor of the verdict (2 not guilty, 4 guilty with warning, 1 guilty with 1-day lock).

This thread will remain open for a brief time to allow for any questions for clarification regarding the verdict.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31: October 23, 2012, 07:19:34 PM »
Moderator note: Inappropriate comment removed.

This thread will remain open for a brief time to allow for any questions for clarification regarding the verdict.

Additional inappropriate posts will result in the thread being locked.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

GoldPanda

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #32: October 24, 2012, 08:56:51 AM »
I feel that Anaris should have recused himself in this case, because (as far as I can tell) this matter originated from Malus Solari's defection to Luria Nova. This presents a clear conflict of interest for Anaris.

Edit: Just my two cents.  :(
------
qui audet vincit

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #33: October 24, 2012, 11:31:18 AM »
That would be difficult, as Anaris isn't a Magistrate.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #34: October 24, 2012, 01:51:10 PM »
because (as far as I can tell) this matter originated from Malus Solari's defection to Luria Nova.

That would also be difficult, as this matter originated days before that happened.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #35: October 24, 2012, 05:21:44 PM »
Indeed, to clarify:

Anaris is NOT a Magistrate. He is a Dev. To my knowledge he doesn't even have access to the Backroom.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #36: October 24, 2012, 05:27:18 PM »
Indeed, to clarify:

Anaris is NOT a Magistrate. He is a Dev. To my knowledge he doesn't even have access to the Backroom.

I do not. I am also not a Titan, though I do have access to their sub-board for assisting in cheater identification and similar endeavours.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

GoldPanda

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #37: October 24, 2012, 08:34:35 PM »
Okay. Thanks for clearing that up.  ;D
------
qui audet vincit

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #38: October 25, 2012, 05:28:29 PM »
Thread locked, see verdict above for citation.