Author Topic: Cleaning My Scans  (Read 1668 times)

songqu88@gmail.com

Cleaning My Scans
« Topic Start: April 04, 2011, 01:37:32 AM »
I've been mulling about the idea of starting up a short little comic about Leia's adventures to coincide with my LP. But in my experience as a not-artist, I have found that my scans, even after I ink and get rid of the rough sketch to the point where I can't see the markings, there's still some fuzziness on the scanned image. I think this is caused by the compression (which I probably shouldn't use), resolution, and artifacts left on the paper.

So, anyone here an actual artist or knows how to work with scans? Being a not-artist, my drawings will probably have a lot of mistakes that have to be corrected, usually on the page and not electronically because I am bad at controlling the mouse and have no fancy tools for that stuff.

Also, any tips on shading? I generally do that using pencil directly on the page and try to smooth it out in Photoshop if required. Should I do that, or leave it blank and add in the darker shades in Photoshop and use the blur tool to smooth out the shading?

Also, does anyone know how to draw good backgrounds? My solution is to take some pictures, then approximately trace them on the computer using a separate layer to go over the defining lines. Detail it a bit, add some shading, sharpen the lines, and there, background. Copy and paste the characters on layers above that to have a nice reusable background image!