Poll

How do you feel about the CE-Tara Federation's influence on Atamara?

I'm in CE/Tara and I'm fine with the situation.
I'm in CE/Tara and I don't like it.
I'm in a CE/Tara allied realm and I'm fine with the situation.
I'm in a CE/Tara allied realm and I dislike the situation.
I'm in a non-federation realm and I'm fine with the situation.
I'm in a non-federation realm and I dislike the situation.
I'm not on Atamara and I'm fine with the situation.
I'm not on Atamara and I dislike the situation.

Author Topic: CE-Tara Federation  (Read 53985 times)

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
CE-Tara Federation
« Topic Start: October 22, 2012, 10:08:57 PM »
So please take a vote, and if you'd rather not comment there is no need to. However, comments are welcome as far as I'm concerned.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: CE-Tara Federation
« Reply #1: October 22, 2012, 10:10:46 PM »
I'm not on Atamara at present, and I don't like it.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: October 22, 2012, 10:19:15 PM »
I'm not on Atamara at present, and I don't like it.

Poll adjusted to give that an option.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: October 22, 2012, 10:24:05 PM »
Would you put Carelians into the allied with CE/Tara group or no? We are allied with Tara but only at peace with CE.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Bael

• Mighty Duke
  • Have sword, will travel!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: October 22, 2012, 10:25:09 PM »
I think things could be a lot more interesting, but at the same time I still have lots that I want to/can do currently within the CE/Tara block.

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: October 22, 2012, 10:27:55 PM »
Would you put Carelians into the allied with CE/Tara group or no? We are allied with Tara but only at peace with CE.

In that case (where allied with one and not the other) I think its up to you where you place your vote.

Personally, I consider the CE/Tara federated allies to include only those who are allied with both realms. (ie. Allied with the federation) Thus: CE, Tara, Talerium, Coria, Strombran.

Lorgan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: October 22, 2012, 10:39:22 PM »
I'm not on Atamara, I don't like the situation but I do admire what CE has done. They've all but achieved hegemony on AT and they've done it through years and years of dedication and hard work. It's not an easy thing to pull off and they sure as hell deserve the fruits of their labour in my opinion. And if that means that there's less fruit for others to enjoy, then they probably deserve that too.

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: October 22, 2012, 10:43:51 PM »
I'm not on Atamara, I don't like the situation but I do admire what CE has done. They've all but achieved hegemony on AT and they've done it through years and years of dedication and hard work. It's not an easy thing to pull off and they sure as hell deserve the fruits of their labour in my opinion. And if that means that there's less fruit for others to enjoy, then they probably deserve that too.

I don't think anyone would disagree with this. They deserve a lot of credit and applause for their accomplishments.

However, doesn't mean I have to LIKE it.  >:(
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: October 22, 2012, 10:53:06 PM »
Well, the answer depends on if you take it from an OOC or IC viewpoint. OOC, I give CE their props. They've done a hell of a job, and I admire the power bloc they've created. IC, my character thinks they need stopped before they overrun the entire continent.

Edit: I've answered the poll as my character would see it from an IC standpoint.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #9: October 22, 2012, 11:02:14 PM »
There is one gameplay/mechanic issue I see in this whole question and that is that the BM worlds are isolated, so once you effectively control an island, there is nowhere challengers could come from except from within.

I honestly never thought that would be possible, the islands are pretty damn huge.

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: October 22, 2012, 11:40:10 PM »
There is one gameplay/mechanic issue I see in this whole question and that is that the BM worlds are isolated, so once you effectively control an island, there is nowhere challengers could come from except from within.

I honestly never thought that would be possible, the islands are pretty damn huge.

Well, while the CE/Tara federation does not exclusively control the entire island, they have enough control of the island such that they themselves are permanently untouchable so long as their internal politics remain true. They are thus able to exert overt influence on the rest of the island because of their military predominance. The rest of the island has already attempted a federation vs non-federation war and lost. Even though they should have likely won based purely upon military statistics they did end up losing and are in an even worse position now. Under the current federation, it is nearly impossible to stop them.

However, much props goes to CE's military leadership and organized military. Even when outnumbered they've managed to win time and again. Yet, that means that now that they have the numbers, it is even more difficult.

Then again, CE and Tara alone once isolated could not hold onto the situation that they currently have. Should their current allies (Talerium, Coria, and Strombran) or even two of those allies turn against the federation, the federation couldn't stand. However, the political situation means that any of those allies that chose to abandon the CE/Tara federation would then be the "odd man out" in any new alliance they joined. This means it is by far safer for these allies to remain with the federation than to go it alone. It is therefore the political reality of the IC interactions that while CE and Tara technically can be defeated, the impetus to do so is left in the hands of those who would be directly harmed by allowing it to occur. Long-term the allies may benefit, or in the short-term they may just be ripped to shreds.

That's the beauty of the CE/Tara federation. Through a combination of military might, political alliances, and simple realities for their buffer states, they've built up the most secure and formidable coalition on Atamara. One that cannot be defeated or divided without some characters making actions which aren't necessarily in their full best interests.

LilWolf

• Noble Lord
  • The Vasata Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: October 22, 2012, 11:44:39 PM »
You might as well include Talerium in that as well. I don't think they've ever gone against CE.

That being said, I'm on Atamara and not really liking the situation that much. We tried to do something about it(Darka, Eston, Carelia and the rest), but in the end a multitude of reasons just ended up !@#$ing everything up..most of those reason having zero to do with how "awesome" CE is and more with how utterly unreliable a lot of people(and realms) in the game are.
Join us on IRC #battlemaster@QuakeNet
Read about the fantasy stories I'm writing.

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: October 22, 2012, 11:48:27 PM »
You might as well include Talerium in that as well. I don't think they've ever gone against CE.

That being said, I'm on Atamara and not really liking the situation that much. We tried to do something about it(Darka, Eston, Carelia and the rest), but in the end a multitude of reasons just ended up !@#$ing everything up..most of those reason having zero to do with how "awesome" CE is and more with how utterly unreliable a lot of people(and realms) in the game are.

Talerium is definitely a core member of the federation of allies, however as they aren't in the "Federation" version of alliance I'm keeping them as allies for my consideration here. They have sided with CE every time just as Coria and Strombran have done the same, but I don't consider them the main force behind the alliance. It is the personal size of CE and Tara that are quite formidable in and of themselves.

Sonya

• Mighty Duke
  • Traveling to a new world!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: October 23, 2012, 12:10:19 AM »
I have nothing against it, in fact i think is pretty cool.

You only see CE/Tara, but you have no idea how hard is to form an Empire and rule everything.

The Empire circle formed by:
Cagilan (Main)
Tara (Satelite)
Coria (Buffer)
Strombran (Buffer)

Is not easy to achieve on BM, many have tried to form satellite realms but have failed (sorry for Dunnera, DOA and SOA fans*) It wasn't been cheap, all that was for a cost, the Empire main realm used to have 150 +/- nobles, after years of expansion they have now 60s. but their block is solid.

Not only that, the Empire also have Allies who will swing their way:
Tallerium (Brother in Arms)
Suville (New guy in the neighborhood)

All that takes great political skills and a good base of Loyalty, i respect that. i would not like to see them apart. Now the northern alliance have to rebuild and come back with a better plan in hand to start another Great Continent Wide War.

Keep it going!

ps:
*: East Continent
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 12:19:43 AM by Sonya »

LilWolf

• Noble Lord
  • The Vasata Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: October 23, 2012, 12:22:22 AM »
Talerium is definitely a core member of the federation of allies, however as they aren't in the "Federation" version of alliance I'm keeping them as allies for my consideration here. They have sided with CE every time just as Coria and Strombran have done the same, but I don't consider them the main force behind the alliance. It is the personal size of CE and Tara that are quite formidable in and of themselves.

Meh, if it were only CE and Tara there wouldn't be any problems. They're not that dominant. Just Darka and Eston together come pretty close in the amount of nobles and both realms probably have enough gold to keep fielding good armies that could match up against them. Add in a third realm and you'd have a good fight. In terms of gold on hand Darka's probably as rich as all(well, most of) the other realms combined on Atamara so it could support an pretty massive offensive in terms of gold if there was the opportunity for it. Which there isn't because of the outlying realms.

You can't really ignore Talerium since they effectively mean CE doesn't need to worry about the north in any way. That entire part of CE is perfectly safe because of them. So the problem isn't really so much the federation as it is the corner realms that gravitate towards it due to blind loyalty(or fear).

Would the federation breaking change things? Maybe, but I wouldn't hold my breath for Talerium to stop from supporting CE and keeping their north safe.

Now the northern alliance have to rebuild and come back with a better plan in hand to start another Great Continent Wide War.

Keep it going!

People are bored with the war. It's not going anywhere. The north alone could probably take on CE & Tara, but as you just listed they have all of the south there to support them so it's just not going to happen unless those outlying realms suddenly decide to switch sides(which they probably won't).

And trusting Suville to do anything is like putting your hand in a basket full of pissed off snakes. You will get bitten.
Join us on IRC #battlemaster@QuakeNet
Read about the fantasy stories I'm writing.