Author Topic: Remove mercenary distance limits  (Read 30744 times)

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Remove mercenary distance limits
« Reply #45: October 24, 2012, 11:52:47 PM »
Then bummer for Astrum. Again, we'll have to find a war closer to home. And Astrum is pretty much in the same corner as Iashalur. Not much difference there.

In five years of playing BM, I have never once seen this restriction coming in to play. On EC, distance from Semall to Sirion is itself 1250 miles.
And how often have you tried to march an army from Semall to Sirion?

Astrum has a lot more options then Iashalur. Your widely stretched territory lets you launch forces at greater distance. Have you lost a third of your troops in Chesland to desertion?

I've just about had it with everyone constantly complaining that there are no wars to the dev team.

People, we do not make war or peace, you do.

If you want to have a war, or have a war closer to home, or more war - get your ruler to declare war. You think it ruins long-standing roleplays? Seriously? What is non-roleplay about nobles wanting more loot, preferably from nearby and pressuring their ruler into making it possible?

There is no game-mechanics solution to this problem. The solution is in your heads. If you want war, go and make war.

The real problem is also in your heads. You want war, but you don't want to lose a war. So nobody declares a war unless they are absolutely certain they can win it. Which, of course, leads to very short and predictable and boring wars. Your characters can't even die, so WTF are you afraid of?

Go out there and make a war happen. And if you don't win, so what? Losing is fun.

No one here is complaining that there aren't enough wars. We're complaining that a war we all really want to wage, which makes perfect sense in character is being unnecessarily impeded by an arbitrary game mechanic.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 12:00:34 AM by pcw27 »

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #46: October 24, 2012, 11:54:10 PM »
I think Asylon has just provided itself as a valid target for you northerners. "Hey guys, look at us, we back the squatters of Paisly!"
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #47: October 25, 2012, 12:02:15 AM »
This is true, but I don't think the issue should be thrown away over that. If Asylon hadn't done that we'd be SOL.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48: October 25, 2012, 03:17:40 AM »
Have you lost a third of your troops in Chesland to desertion?
I never tried to march to Chesland. That's because I always figured it would be futile, and out troops would be ineffective.

an arbitrary game mechanic.
The mechanic is anything but arbitrary. It was intentionally implemented for a specific purpose. You may not like the limits it imposes, but that does not mean it was whimsical or random.

I think Asylon has just provided itself as a valid target for you northerners. "Hey guys, look at us, we back the squatters of Paisly!"
This is not the first time that Astrum, Kabrinskia, or Iashalur has had valid reason to poke Asylon with a sharp stick lately. They have merely chosen to ignore the prior events.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #49: October 25, 2012, 07:16:40 AM »
I've just about had it with everyone constantly complaining that there are no wars to the dev team.

People, we do not make war or peace, you do.
I am not trying to argue that the dev team is causing there to be no wars to clarify. Next, it's what you said with above for this particular mechanic, you're not making war or peace, you're preventing war with this particular mechanic which keeps peace- that's even worse as your preventing change/keeping the status quo, which is boring. This mechanic is not game breaking by any means but at the same time, I don't see the positive effects of for the game at all with a mechanic that makes some wars impossible, though there is nothing wrong with making it rather difficult just no one likes it being impossible but the devs unless I have just not noticed a non-dev on the pro-prevention of a war side.

Though the original request was to be away with the distance penalty, I am sure all on my side of this would even be happy with keeping the penalty but making it manageable. We are not asking for easy long distance wars, we are asking for wars to be fought at quite far areas with them being  somewhat difficult or quite difficult, just not impossible.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

jaune

• Mighty Duke
  • Suck my socks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50: October 25, 2012, 08:38:42 AM »
This feature was added prolly cause before it was implemented "gangbangs" were even more easier.

Darkans used to march down to Abington without major problems, even thought it is still possible to march long distance, but it needs a lot gold and work and preparation... Most of the times, not worth the effort.

I think this kind of feature is needed, but it shouldnt make it impossible or too hard to do.
~Violence is always an option!~

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #51: October 25, 2012, 10:07:50 AM »
personally... i think merc setting should not be something that you change after half way around the world and the men start bitching.

the way it should work would be.... you set it within own realm, then march to some far away place and the morale won't go kaput because the men knew how far you are going when they started.

as opposed to... your men thinking they are heading from london to paris... and then found themselves all the way to jerusalem. what does it matter if you pay them more after their eyes are throwing daggers at you already?

rework merc that way and possibly increase cost and you could remove/lower limits.
firefox

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #52: October 25, 2012, 10:26:25 AM »
We don't make war impossible. We make it impossible to project power over the entire game world, which is - see the CE-Tara discussion going on elsewhere - a guarantee for not much war going on anymore.

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #53: October 25, 2012, 06:20:31 PM »

The mechanic is anything but arbitrary. It was intentionally implemented for a specific purpose. You may not like the limits it imposes, but that does not mean it was whimsical or random.

The underlying principle is intentional, the specifics are arbitrary. Chesland is not on the other side of the game world from Iashalur, it's 3/4 of the way down the continent. If we were talking about a war in Candiels I'd see your point.

I never tried to march to Chesland. That's because I always figured it would be futile, and out troops would be ineffective.

But you just admitted in game that your moral is at 100%, which means you could march to Chesland if you wanted to. You could probably even make it to Candiels.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 06:26:15 PM by pcw27 »

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #54: October 25, 2012, 06:41:40 PM »
We don't make war impossible. We make it impossible to project power over the entire game world, which is - see the CE-Tara discussion going on elsewhere - a guarantee for not much war going on anymore.

Irrelevant Tom, CE-Tara are in the center of the continent, they don't really suffer from distance effects.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #55: October 25, 2012, 08:50:33 PM »
Irrelevant Tom, CE-Tara are in the center of the continent, they don't really suffer from distance effects.

Not the devastating ones, but I'm fairly sure that if they march armies to the edge of the map, they wlll see morale effects.

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #56: October 25, 2012, 10:42:08 PM »
Yes, but this would just mean that any realm outside their reach currently would be made up of regions plastered along the edge of the map. A highly unlikely situation.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57: October 26, 2012, 12:36:23 AM »
They are also in the center of the map, and potentially surrounded by enemies.

Quote from: pcw27
But you just admitted in game that your moral is at 100%, which means you could march to Chesland if you wanted to. You could probably even make it to Candiels.
You have me confused with someone else. My character is a priest.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

BardicNerd

• Noble Lord
  • Evans Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #58: October 26, 2012, 01:14:22 AM »
I have an interesting idea.

Make troops with mercenary settings gain a large amount of morale from looting.  So you can march your troops a long way if you loot people on the way.  Especially people that had previously been neutral to you, and even sympathetic to your cause (but, hey, your men want their treasure or their women, and they don't want to wait until you get to your destination). . . .

Well, it worked for the crusades.

(Note: the above suggestion is intended to be tongue firmly in cheek, although it would be pretty cool if mercenaries allowed you to go really far, but you would sometimes randomly loot your allies along the way or something.  It's historic!)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 05:26:22 PM by BardicNerd »

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #59: October 26, 2012, 01:38:46 AM »

Indeed. All it would change would be making it easier for realms on one side of the map to attack the realms on the other side of the map.

Considering realms on the limits already have fewer neighbors and tend to be (too) safe and involved less often attacked, would making one side of AT being able to hit the other be all that bad? Perhaps it'd finally be wars where CE-Tara wouldn't interfere?
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron