Author Topic: SKill Display in Tournaments  (Read 5892 times)

Sonya

• Mighty Duke
  • Traveling to a new world!
    • View Profile
SKill Display in Tournaments
« Topic Start: October 23, 2012, 07:04:38 PM »
I have been wondering since a long time, how i am suppose to know if the skill of another character is superior to mine?
EX:

If my X skill if from 50% i think i can't tell what % have those higher than me, also if i am 50% i can't be impressed by someone whose kills is at 40%.

I know that Tournament outcome is different, but at least in the Showoff things should be as you see it, comparing yourself with the others, you can see the ability of those below yours, but not of those above, it will be like the Trainers higher trainer can teach you better things.

I always think that feedbacks are better than request at first.

Thoughts?

Zakilevo

Re: SKill Display in Tournaments
« Reply #1: October 23, 2012, 07:15:25 PM »
Why try to make it unnecessarily complicated?

I think the current way of doing things is perfectly fine.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: October 23, 2012, 10:03:16 PM »
"blimey.. that fat bastard can swing a sword... impressive for someone his shape"
firefox

Sonya

• Mighty Duke
  • Traveling to a new world!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: October 24, 2012, 04:19:15 PM »
Why try to make it unnecessarily complicated?

I think the current way of doing things is perfectly fine.

Is not complicated, i always wonder how a Normal Trainer can't know your Skill ability beyond his own, and in tournament you can know the exact % of those who have the ability beyond yours.

Marlboro

• Noble Lord
  • With Claws
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: October 28, 2012, 09:08:35 PM »
Is not complicated, i always wonder how a Normal Trainer can't know your Skill ability beyond his own, and in tournament you can know the exact % of those who have the ability beyond yours.

All the other skilled swordsmen around you in the tourney audience are talking about it. Makes sense to me.
When Thalmarkans walked through the Sint land, castles went up for sale.

House Talratheon

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: October 28, 2012, 10:24:58 PM »
In tournaments of combat from modern times even as far back as ancient Greece competitors of great skill would often do absolutely nothing for exception of stretching out of fear of being ''measured up'' or studied. Going into a duel knowing whether or not a man can parry or riposte makes a huge difference on how you'll encounter him initially. While some competitors show off to intimidate or impress women, so in closing I like the system as is.

Zakilevo

« Reply #6: October 28, 2012, 10:54:40 PM »
If you don't want other players know how skillful you are then don't show off your skill.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: October 29, 2012, 12:02:28 AM »
My characters never use the "show off" option. If I want to know, I use the academy.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Zakilevo

« Reply #8: October 29, 2012, 12:09:10 AM »
Wish we get the betting system back. I know it never worked but it was nice to just have it around ;)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: October 29, 2012, 12:10:58 AM »
I have been wondering since a long time, how i am suppose to know if the skill of another character is superior to mine?
EX:

If my X skill if from 50% i think i can't tell what % have those higher than me, also if i am 50% i can't be impressed by someone whose kills is at 40%.

I know that Tournament outcome is different, but at least in the Showoff things should be as you see it, comparing yourself with the others, you can see the ability of those below yours, but not of those above, it will be like the Trainers higher trainer can teach you better things.

I always think that feedbacks are better than request at first.

Thoughts?

One can be impressed by another's skills without one's own skills being inferior to his.

However, I've always found it felt weird to see these numerical values. Perhaps the game should just say "His skills are superior to yours/His skills are inferior to yours/His skills are similar to yours"?
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

egamma

« Reply #10: October 29, 2012, 12:14:16 AM »
One can be impressed by another's skills without one's own skills being inferior to his.

However, I've always found it felt weird to see these numerical values. Perhaps the game should just say "His skills are superior to yours/His skills are inferior to yours/His skills are similar to yours"?

That would require the game to send customized messages to every character, instead of one message to the tourney.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: October 29, 2012, 02:10:22 AM »
That would require the game to send customized messages to every character, instead of one message to the tourney.

True... Would this be such a bad thing, though? Tournaments don't get as many participants as they used to, over 5 years ago.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Stabbity

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
  • Formerly the Himoura Family. Currently ?????????
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: October 30, 2012, 10:58:51 PM »
True... Would this be such a bad thing, though? Tournaments don't get as many participants as they used to, over 5 years ago.

Is an altered text block going to bring more people to tournaments?
Life is a dance, it is only fitting that death sing the tune.

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: October 30, 2012, 11:40:37 PM »

I think some more fun/varied tournament options/activities would go a long way to help this problem.

"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: October 30, 2012, 11:45:11 PM »
Is an altered text block going to bring more people to tournaments?

I wasn't stating the number of people to imply it would make more people come, but rather that it wouldn't be as much of a server load as tournament messages used to be back in the days (or much more than, rather).

Making people go just involves having people nearby. Less nobles stretched over more lands, that's why there are less attendees.