Author Topic: More war!  (Read 14968 times)

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
More war!
« Topic Start: October 23, 2012, 08:37:11 PM »
So, with this war all but over, who will the next war be between? I'm taking bets!

Norrel

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: More war!
« Reply #1: October 23, 2012, 09:36:32 PM »
I dunno actually. It seems like the whole continent is poised for peace, though Sorraine might find some cause to explode.
“it was never wise for a ruler to eschew the trappings of power, for power itself flows in no small measure from such trappings.”
- George R.R. Martin ; Melisandre

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #2: October 23, 2012, 09:51:50 PM »
I dunno actually. It seems like the whole continent is poised for peace, though Sorraine might find some cause to explode.

Don't worry, I'm working on it. ^_^ I know exactly who I want to declare war on after this.

Ender

• Noble Lord
  • Neill Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: October 23, 2012, 09:58:30 PM »
I've been waiting for Sorraine to do something after all that shuffling around a bit back.

That or maybe Arcaea is ready to flex those imperial muscles?

D'Espana

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: October 24, 2012, 12:44:30 AM »
So, I've recruited a 100 man unit being from the poorest realm on the continent only to find peace signed after just two rogue battles?

Life's not fair  :(
D'Espana Family

Scarlett

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: October 24, 2012, 02:45:23 AM »
Yeah, this war was pretty short on big battles. Arcaea and Kindara had a good one early on and had the war continued we'd likely have seen a large siege of Azros, Masahakon, or Zonasa.

If Kindara and Zonasa had waited a little while to declare war and built up armies right on the border, they probably could've overwhelmed Anacan early, before we had a chance to fortify it. I don't know if that would've made a lasting difference or not, but it sure would've felt good (for them).

Alpha

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: October 24, 2012, 02:48:43 AM »
So, I've recruited a 100 man unit being from the poorest realm on the continent only to find peace signed after just two rogue battles?

Life's not fair  :(

Eh, I've kept ~100 archers with 96% training and 100% cohesion with 75%ish W/A since a little before Kindara absorbed C'thonia. Skated through the first battle in Edairn with minimal losses. Then I went into starving Pates, and BOOM 1/3 gone. Every major battle has been in high winds. So, thousands of gold in upkeep for my awesome archers has still been pretty much wasted.

Alpha

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: October 24, 2012, 03:03:42 AM »
Yeah, this war was pretty short on big battles. Arcaea and Kindara had a good one early on and had the war continued we'd likely have seen a large siege of Azros, Masahakon, or Zonasa.

If Kindara and Zonasa had waited a little while to declare war and built up armies right on the border, they probably could've overwhelmed Anacan early, before we had a chance to fortify it. I don't know if that would've made a lasting difference or not, but it sure would've felt good (for them).

I don't think that Masahakon could have been successfully assaulted without some major blunder on our part. We couldn't go on the offense quickly because of how the army was split between Azros and Hatdhes, which might have been a mistake on my part. Azros, however, was a prime target a few times. I'm really surprised that it wasn't attacked.

I was fairly confident that we could starve you. I didn't really think that we could take Anacan because the Kindaran army was 50% archers, and by the time that it wasn't the city was fortified. Plus we didn't have siege works in Azros, and I wanted to retake Osaliel before it starved to population 0. I don't think the outcome would have been different even if Anacan had been sacked, unless it prompted surrender, which I'd think unlikely .

Our biggest problem was that we couldn't group up with the Zonasans in any reasonable amount of time because of travel time through Edairn/Razrpot/Haul.  We were also tied down trying to defend Azros.  We couldn't really make any progress because we couldn't strike back at Arcaea, and even if the Arcaeans didn't deal much damage after their first trip south, they still dealt some.

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #8: October 24, 2012, 03:30:35 AM »
Zonasa was horribly under defended when it came to garrisons in their cities and strongholds. This was why Henzo attacked Haul, bringing along Cathay and Arcaea along behind him.

Scarlett

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: October 24, 2012, 03:16:34 PM »
I was fairly confident that we could starve you.

The only two regions that took hits were Pates and Ansopen, neither of which produce much food. Lenamaziel produces the most food on the continent (followed by Arrmol) so even though things might've been tight it's unlikely that Anacan would've been starved out.

Azros wasn't attacked because we figured it would've been easier to drive all the neighboring regions rogue and starve it. This was working up until late in the war when looting suddenly seemed to not drive regions rogue as much (as we saw in Apelen and Ansopen).

The next move for us would've been to get all of the realms together in Anacan and march to Leod, and then attack whichever of the three cities was the least defended, since the geography requires you to divide your army to defend all three. It would've taken some doing but with everybody together we had about 40,000 CS.

BardicNerd

• Noble Lord
  • Evans Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: October 24, 2012, 04:35:33 PM »
The only two regions that took hits were Pates and Ansopen, neither of which produce much food. Lenamaziel produces the most food on the continent (followed by Arrmol) so even though things might've been tight it's unlikely that Anacan would've been starved out.
We also hit Zarimel, too.  I think we kept it at pretty low production for about half of the first fall.

Scarlett

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: October 25, 2012, 02:48:16 PM »
True, but that was also the most difficult strategically, since being in Zarimel cut off your retreat and gave us a pretty solid victory on the field. One we weren't able to repeat because you didn't let yourself get put in that position a second time.

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: November 11, 2012, 04:46:44 PM »
Still taking bets on who the next war will be between. Zonasa and Sorraine? How would Zonasa reach Sorraine, though?

Scarlett

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: November 11, 2012, 06:19:49 PM »
Balloons.

D'Espana

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: November 11, 2012, 07:20:51 PM »
I'm looking forward to the appearance of the new sea routes in stable continents. Though FEI seems a particularly dull place for having them, as it has not great masses of water inside the continent. We'll have to see if it livens things up, though.
D'Espana Family