Author Topic: Are Realm Mergers Allowed?  (Read 12759 times)

GoldPanda

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Are Realm Mergers Allowed?
« Topic Start: October 24, 2012, 09:06:21 AM »
I don't trust my own memory on this subject. Please clarify something for me:

Are two realms allowed to merge into one peacefully?

Also:

Scenario 1: Realms A and B are not at war. All regions of realm A merges into realm B. This is obviously a peaceful realm merger.

Scenario 2: Realms A and B are not at war. Most regions of realm A merges into realm B, leaving behind a duchy consisting of a few rural regions. Is this still considered a peaceful realm merger?

Scenario 3: Realms A and B are not at war. Most regions of realm A merges into realm B, leaving behind a duchy consisting of a city and a few rural regions. Is this still considered a peaceful realm merger?

Scenario 4: Realms A and B are not at war. Most regions of realm A merges into realm B, leaving behind a duchy consisting of a city and a few rural regions. The enlarged realm B then attacks and annexes what remains of realm A. The weakened realm A does not (or is unable to) fight back. Is this still considered a peaceful realm merger?
------
qui audet vincit

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Re: Are Realm Mergers Allowed?
« Reply #1: October 24, 2012, 09:24:15 AM »

No. From the Rules and Policies page on the wiki:

• Realm mergers are illegal. Realms may surrender to another, including annihilation of their lands, but they may not merge as equal entities on friendly terms.

Also:

Scenario 1: Realms A and B are not at war. All regions of realm A merges into realm B. This is obviously a peaceful realm merger.

Scenario 2: Realms A and B are not at war. Most regions of realm A merges into realm B, leaving behind a duchy consisting of a few rural regions. Is this still considered a peaceful realm merger?

Scenario 3: Realms A and B are not at war. Most regions of realm A merges into realm B, leaving behind a duchy consisting of a city and a few rural regions. Is this still considered a peaceful realm merger?

Scenario 4: Realms A and B are not at war. Most regions of realm A merges into realm B, leaving behind a duchy consisting of a city and a few rural regions. The enlarged realm B then attacks and annexes what remains of realm A. The weakened realm A does not (or is unable to) fight back. Is this still considered a peaceful realm merger?

I think "on friendly terms" is the key word here, not how many regions change allegiance.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

GoldPanda

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: October 24, 2012, 10:42:10 AM »
Isn't "friendly terms", or rather the lack thereof, rather easy to fake?
------
qui audet vincit

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: October 24, 2012, 11:57:43 AM »
Isn't "friendly terms", or rather the lack thereof, rather easy to fake?

Cheating is forbidden even when it's easy.

egamma

« Reply #4: October 24, 2012, 02:45:06 PM »

Also:

This is blocked by the game.

This is considered a duchy switching allegiance, not the realm. I think this could be illegal if the ruler of realm A planned for this to happen.

You put the words "attack" and "peaceful" in the same scenario. I think this could be illegal if the ruler of realm A planned for this to happen.

GoldPanda

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: October 24, 2012, 08:33:01 PM »
Cheating is forbidden even when it's easy.

And jay-walking is illegal even when it's easy. When was the last time anyone got arrested for jay-walking? A rule means nothing if it's not enforceable on everyone.

What I'm saying is, rules should be based on what happens in the game. "You can't order anyone to recruit a certain unit type." Not based on what's going on in player's minds."You can't have realm mergers, but if the ruler did not approve of it then it's totally okay." Why not just "You can't have realm mergers, period. It doesn't matter who was aware or not aware of it, or approved or did not approve of it."

Duchy Changes Allegiance   (1 hour, 16 minutes ago)
message to Everyone on Dwilight
The Courts of Stone has changed its allegiance with all its regions to the realm of Luria Nova. The duchy used to belong to Solaria.

Apparently not.  :o
------
qui audet vincit

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: October 24, 2012, 08:52:47 PM »
What I'm saying is, rules should be based on what happens in the game. "You can't order anyone to recruit a certain unit type." Not based on what's going on in player's minds."You can't have realm mergers, but if the ruler did not approve of it then it's totally okay." Why not just "You can't have realm mergers, period. It doesn't matter who was aware or not aware of it, or approved or did not approve of it."

If there was a button "Merge realms" in the game, and you were not allowed to click it, then it would be easy. Sadly there's not. What you call realm mergers are in fact series of perfectly legal actions which have an undesirable end result. Therefore it's all about intent.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: October 24, 2012, 11:59:45 PM »
And jay-walking is illegal even when it's easy. When was the last time anyone got arrested for jay-walking? A rule means nothing if it's not enforceable on everyone.

The Courts of Stone has changed its allegiance with all its regions to the realm of Luria Nova. The duchy used to belong to Solaria.

Our mayor got a fine for jay-walking last year... :P
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: October 25, 2012, 03:43:57 AM »
I know several people who have been ticketed for jaywalking.

Keep in mind that it is possible, and legal, for a realm to give up or surrender in a war, resulting in the loser being absorbed into the winner, especialy if the losing realm has been reduced to something that could not survive on its own.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Woelfy

• Mighty Duke
  • I'm baaaaack
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: October 25, 2012, 06:16:37 AM »
Keep in mind that it is possible, and legal, for a realm to give up or surrender in a war, resulting in the loser being absorbed into the winner, especialy if the losing realm has been reduced to something that could not survive on its own.

Minus the war, that's what politically was forced upon Solaria. The 'war' was Sun Hall switching, leaving BR and Tranquil, then Tranquil left. A single non-productive non-capital stronghold would not have supported itself for more than a minute.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: October 25, 2012, 07:51:03 AM »
Our mayor got a fine for jay-walking last year... :P
thats awesome  ;D
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: October 25, 2012, 01:41:40 PM »
thats awesome  ;D

Union troubles, police hadn't had a working convention in years (the last one expired like 3 years prior I think).

Still, pretty funny.  ;)
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

egamma

« Reply #12: October 25, 2012, 03:43:37 PM »

Bug exploit

GoldPanda

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: October 27, 2012, 09:14:03 AM »
If there was a button "Merge realms" in the game, and you were not allowed to click it, then it would be easy. Sadly there's not. What you call realm mergers are in fact series of perfectly legal actions which have an undesirable end result. Therefore it's all about intent.

I think I get what you're saying. Just disallow it mechanically in-game.

There should be some sort of check when a duke tries to defect with his duchy: If the number of cities+strongholds in the duchy is equal to the number of cities+strongholds in the realm, then he should not be allowed to switch his duchy's allegiance, because the rest of the realm has no cities or strongholds left.
------
qui audet vincit

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: October 27, 2012, 11:16:30 AM »
I think I get what you're saying. Just disallow it mechanically in-game.

There should be some sort of check when a duke tries to defect with his duchy: If the number of cities+strongholds in the duchy is equal to the number of cities+strongholds in the realm, then he should not be allowed to switch his duchy's allegiance, because the rest of the realm has no cities or strongholds left.

Yes, as has been said this is what is supposed to happen and it is a bug that the check did't work. But it doesn't cover your scenarios 3&4.