Author Topic: Atheism in the Dark Ages  (Read 12879 times)

Feylonis

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Atheism in the Dark Ages
« Topic Start: October 24, 2012, 12:23:21 AM »
Henry VII?

Also, with that statement philosophy, then all religions should declare a crusade against Aurvandil. It's an abhorrence and an insult to all beliefs.

NoblesseChevaleresque

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Atheism in the Dark Ages
« Reply #1: October 24, 2012, 12:45:45 AM »
Henry VII?

Also, with that statement philosophy, then all religions should declare a crusade against Aurvandil. It's an abhorrence and an insult to all beliefs.

No I don't think so, it was one of the earlier kings, post the Norman invasion.

Well, all religions could declare war on Aurvandil, but on what grounds? Believing their God's are either imaginary, impotent or irrelevant? By that logic all religions should declare war on each other, as they generally tend to disagree on who's God's actually exist or actually matter.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: October 24, 2012, 01:24:02 AM »
To the people arguing over Atheism yes there were atheists in the Medieval era, and there were quite famous and open atheists, including one particular English King who made it clear the religion was his bitch and not the other way around, though I forget the exact king right now.

You're thinking of Henry VIII, who caused the Anglican church to be separated from the Roman Catholic Church. And he wasn't denying God in any way, shape or form: only the Pope.

He still believed in God, feared Him, and worshiped Him.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: October 24, 2012, 01:47:56 AM »

And wrote a !@#$ ton of intensely theological tracts which put him much farther to the right than many modern fundamentalists.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Zakilevo

« Reply #4: October 24, 2012, 02:11:57 AM »
You're thinking of Henry VIII, who caused the Anglican church to be separated from the Roman Catholic Church. And he wasn't denying God in any way, shape or form: only the Pope.

He wanted to remarry that badly. What a guy.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: October 24, 2012, 02:15:23 AM »

Imagine what his wife must have been like!  ;D
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: October 24, 2012, 02:18:39 AM »
Imagine what his wife must have been like!  ;D

Yeah! She was the absolute worst kind of wife—the kind who couldn't bear him a male heir!
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

egamma

« Reply #7: October 24, 2012, 02:20:47 AM »
Yeah! She was the absolute worst kind of wife—the kind who couldn't bear him a male heir!

Well, how many chances did he give her?

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: October 24, 2012, 02:24:42 AM »

How dare she!
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: October 24, 2012, 02:33:40 AM »
Well, how many chances did he give her?

At least five, including one boy dead at seven weeks, one healthy girl, and three miscarriages before she was past childbearing age.
Timothy Collett

Zakilevo

« Reply #10: October 24, 2012, 03:30:05 AM »
At least five, including one boy dead at seven weeks, one healthy girl, and three miscarriages before she was past childbearing age.

Well at least she kept her head unlike the next four or five...

NoblesseChevaleresque

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: October 24, 2012, 01:43:07 PM »

No I'm not, I know about the protestant reformation, it's one of the fundamental things we learn when we learn the history of our country. I mean a king before Henry VIII by quite a bit, a few hundred years I think.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: October 24, 2012, 01:46:01 PM »
No I'm not, I know about the protestant reformation, it's one of the fundamental things we learn when we learn the history of our country. I mean a king before Henry VIII by quite a bit, a few hundred years I think.

John Lackland.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_John_of_England#Personal_life

John's lack of religious conviction has been noted by contemporary chroniclers and later historians, with some suspecting that John was at best impious, or even atheistic, a very serious issue at the time.[131] Contemporary chroniclers catalogued his various anti-religious habits at length, including his failure to take communion, his blasphemous remarks, and his witty but scandalous jokes about church doctrine, including jokes about the implausibility of the Resurrection. They commented on the paucity of John's charitable donations to the church.[132] Historian Frank McLynn argues that John's early years at Fontevrault, combined with his relatively advanced education, may have turned him against the church.[18] Other historians have been more cautious in interpreting this material, noting that chroniclers also reported John's personal interest in the life of St Wulfstan of Worcester and his friendships with several senior clerics, most especially with Hugh of Lincoln, who was later declared a saint.[133] Financial records show a normal royal household engaged in the usual feasts and pious observances – albeit with many records showing John's offerings to the poor to atone for routinely breaking church rules and guidance.[134]
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: October 24, 2012, 06:42:55 PM »
Worth noting also that much of Lackland's negative press about his faith came from political supporters of a biggish baronial revolt that cropped up under his reign.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

BardicNerd

• Noble Lord
  • Evans Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: October 24, 2012, 10:01:40 PM »
Eh, that was part of the reason, certainly, but a large part was that he wanted the Church's money for himself.