Author Topic: Looking for Heathens (or Religion in Beluaterra)  (Read 5494 times)

Iltaran

• Noble Lord
  • What Gate?
    • View Profile
There's been a lot of talk in these forums about religions in Battlemaster and how they haven't been a particularly successful part of the game. General feeling seems to summarise the problem as a) too many religions that are basically just extensions of the realm founding them and b) lack of solid doctrine, rituals, beliefs. Personally I would add c) lack of religious conflict, although this is too a degree a symptom of a) and b).

Anyway, I inherited the Order of the Golden Feather, a fairly dormant religion that exists in Old Grehk, Thalmarkin and bits of Fronen. Since then I've been repeatedly meaning to flesh it out and give it some stronger (and more interesting) theological foundation, but a combination of real life and lack of interest has continued to put it on the back burner. Now I'm about to make another attempt to get the religion off the ground, and so I'm looking for heathens. Yes, heathens.

Simply put, I'm looking for an enemy of my religion. Playing alone, building big temples and converting NPCs is all very well, but I dont think its what battlemaster is about. Originally I'd been thinking that the Blood Cult would fulfill this role, but I've been told since then that its gone into hibernation. Really what I want is for someone who will scheme, plot and loudly denounce the Order of the Golden Feather as pure evil, whilst I return the favour with them and we attempt to wipe one another out; rather like most realms function during war ;). Conflict gives people a clear goal, something to define themselves against and a challenge, all fun things. Unfortunately most of the religions at the moment are more or less inactive like the Golden Feather, hence why I'm turning here to try and find if there's someone else looking for a rival.

You can find some of my (ooc for the moment) thoughts on Golden Feather doctrine here http://wiki.battlemaster.org/wiki/User:Iltaran/Ossmat_Creed, but a fair bit is still in my head I'm afraid. One particular point on the doctrine I'm planning is the Order of the Golden Feather considers itself Monotheistic, but simultaneously elevates humanity to virtual demi-god status, thus raising the potential of conflict with either polytheists or 'stricter' monotheists. Anyone with sacred animals is likely to face some hostility for the same reason.

So, any would be heathen scum who must be purged-by-fire-and-sword about?  ;D
[Solari] it's generally understood that OG survives by some compact with the devil

Askarn - Maedros - Savra - Faed - Vanimus

Nosferatus

• Testers
  • Mighty Duke
  • Too weird to live, too rare to die
    • View Profile
I'd like to give you that counter balance, however it won't be fun for you ;)
If shae sets her marks on something, she gets it.
Probably will mean the end of Old Grekh and your faith.

Nice oportunity for Shae to found her own realm based on devine blood right of the throne :P
Formerly playing the Nosferatus and Bhrantan Family.
Currently playing the Polytus Family in: Gotland, Madina, Astrum, Outer Tilog

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
Qyrvaggism is essentially polytheistic. It has been inactive for a while, but is starting to show signs of life.

I don't have a high-ranking character in it, but I do have a character who is cranky. Start hurling threats at Qyrvaggism and he'll probably throw something back at you.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Revan

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Should I start sending missionaries to Old Grehk to try and entice her back to her original and true faith of Estahsism? ;-)

songqu88@gmail.com

I'd like to give you that counter balance, however it won't be fun for you ;)
If shae sets her marks on something, she gets it.
Probably will mean the end of Old Grekh and your faith.

Nice oportunity for Shae to found her own realm based on devine blood right of the throne :P

Also manipulable once a goal similar enough to her desires can be found.  ;)

You didn't *really* think Iksandros was trying to save Melhed, did you? Well, now that I mention it, I don't even know what he was trying to do.  ???

Silverhawk

• Knight
    • View Profile
First get things up and running, then look for heathens. Seems like you already have 3 good ones, so start with those. A bonfire can only hold a specific amount of heritics at the same time, no need to enlarge those yet :P
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; In practice, there is.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
There's been a lot of talk in these forums about religions in Battlemaster and how they haven't been a particularly successful part of the game. General feeling seems to summarise the problem as a) too many religions that are basically just extensions of the realm founding them and b) lack of solid doctrine, rituals, beliefs. Personally I would add c) lack of religious conflict, although this is too a degree a symptom of a) and b).

Anyway, I inherited the Order of the Golden Feather, a fairly dormant religion that exists in Old Grehk, Thalmarkin and bits of Fronen. Since then I've been repeatedly meaning to flesh it out and give it some stronger (and more interesting) theological foundation, but a combination of real life and lack of interest has continued to put it on the back burner. Now I'm about to make another attempt to get the religion off the ground, and so I'm looking for heathens. Yes, heathens.

Simply put, I'm looking for an enemy of my religion. Playing alone, building big temples and converting NPCs is all very well, but I dont think its what battlemaster is about. Originally I'd been thinking that the Blood Cult would fulfill this role, but I've been told since then that its gone into hibernation. Really what I want is for someone who will scheme, plot and loudly denounce the Order of the Golden Feather as pure evil, whilst I return the favour with them and we attempt to wipe one another out; rather like most realms function during war ;). Conflict gives people a clear goal, something to define themselves against and a challenge, all fun things. Unfortunately most of the religions at the moment are more or less inactive like the Golden Feather, hence why I'm turning here to try and find if there's someone else looking for a rival.

You can find some of my (ooc for the moment) thoughts on Golden Feather doctrine here http://wiki.battlemaster.org/wiki/User:Iltaran/Ossmat_Creed, but a fair bit is still in my head I'm afraid. One particular point on the doctrine I'm planning is the Order of the Golden Feather considers itself Monotheistic, but simultaneously elevates humanity to virtual demi-god status, thus raising the potential of conflict with either polytheists or 'stricter' monotheists. Anyone with sacred animals is likely to face some hostility for the same reason.

So, any would be heathen scum who must be purged-by-fire-and-sword about?  ;D

Being everyone's vector of action is what I tired of, giving a lot of my time for everyone's enjoyment with little return. Demanded lots of time, more than I was willing to give to the cause any more.

You got a theocracy next door. Go bash on Hemaism's door, I'm sure you'll get a response.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Iltaran

• Noble Lord
  • What Gate?
    • View Profile
Sorry about taking so long to reply to everything.

For those of you who are interested, I just wrote a RP of the funeral of the founder of the Order, you can find it on the wiki here http://wiki.battlemaster.org/wiki/Iltaran_Family/Eternal_Flames. Askarn (who is a touch... aggressive at the best of times) took a few swipes at Estahsism and the Blood Cult. I'm looking for ways to spread it around BT to see if it sparks some religious interest/conflict.

@Vellos
The tyranny of distance might make things a little difficult, but Askarn is certainly up for an argument.

@Revan
Honestly I'd love it if Estahsism and the Order were to go head to head. As you probably know better than me, there's a fair bit of history between the two of them. The original Church of Estah was even founded in Vatrona, so we've got a potential holy place to squabble over. There seem to be the right elements for a compelling storyline there.

@Chenier
I can understand your disillusionment. Perhaps I should clarify here that when I want heathens, I'm hoping that any conflict will be more than who-has-the-higher-preaching-skill. My desire is to create a compelling and fun IC religion, not to just have heaps of big temples and regions with 99% followers.
[Solari] it's generally understood that OG survives by some compact with the devil

Askarn - Maedros - Savra - Faed - Vanimus

Turner

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Hmmmm............Interesting topic. Yeah, I wouldn't mind some competition and opposition, The Golden Feather has bounced back quite strong from the Invasion and doing well. We could use some friction with another faith to spice things up. Good idea Askarn, I am with you on this one :)
Michael (BT) - Marcus (BT) - Antonious (EC) - Claudius (EC)

Fleugs

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Should I start sending missionaries to Old Grehk to try and entice her back to her original and true faith of Estahsism? ;-)

Is that still alive? I created that with Lorgan a very long time ago. We had like over 200 gods, managed to convert pretty much all of OG, inspired OG to go into some religious wars... then it went down hill.
Ardet nec consumitur.

Silverhawk

• Knight
    • View Profile
The fact that PrinsSimon went mad did help a little bit :P

I think Estahsism has been refounded 2 times already.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; In practice, there is.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
@Chenier
I can understand your disillusionment. Perhaps I should clarify here that when I want heathens, I'm hoping that any conflict will be more than who-has-the-higher-preaching-skill. My desire is to create a compelling and fun IC religion, not to just have heaps of big temples and regions with 99% followers.

That was mine as well. My vision hasn't changed, just my enthusiasm. Hence why next time around I won't even bother founding it via game mechanics, but will do it purely through RP as it was in the good old days. Priests are easier to handle with non-priests than with priests anyways, unless you are a total panzy.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron