Author Topic: Regional protests over war  (Read 31714 times)

NoblesseChevaleresque

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Regional protests over war
« Topic Start: October 25, 2012, 05:01:22 PM »
Are regional protests over wars meant to be so absolutely devastating?

Nearly all of Aurvandil has gone from core control, to province or occupied from a single morning turn change where the regions protest the state of war, these being wars declared on Aurvandil making it farcical for it to be so damaging in protests. Within a few days at this rate nearly every region in Aurvandil will revolt just from war protests.  We literally cannot restore control over all of our lands if we wanted to before they start to revolt at the rate things are going. The deck is already hideously stacked in the favour of our enemies due to how obscenely powerful sea travel is, now it seems our entire realm will revolt before we can fight a battle as a result of yet more coding.

If things aren't changed, Aurvandil may as well give up now since our realm will revolt before our enemies even arrive.

Just to show you the scale of things:

Regional Events in Candiels   (10 hours, 37 minutes ago)
message to everyone in Candiels

The locals are protesting against the rule of Aurvandil.

Duchy Report for Candiels   (10 hours, 37 minutes ago)
message to the duke and nobles of Candiels

Agl

The local population strongly objects to the war on Astrum.
        The local population strongly objects to the war on Corsanctum.
        The local population strongly objects to the war on Morek Empire.
        The local population strongly objects to the war on Libero Empire.
        The local population strongly objects to the war on Iashalur.
        The local population strongly objects to the war on Kabrinskia.
        Protests against the realm and civil unrest are causing serious trouble. The peasants are seriously questioning our rule. On the plus side, it improved their morale to express themselves.

Candiels

The local population strongly objects to the war on Kabrinskia.
        Protests against the realm and civil unrest are causing serious trouble. The peasants are seriously questioning our rule. On the plus side, it improved their morale to express themselves.

Tubrel

Protests against the realm and civil unrest are causing serious trouble. The peasants are seriously questioning our rule. On the plus side, it improved their morale to express themselves. 6 gold are reported missing from tax collector offices after the unrest.

Duchy Report for Marquessate Of Evanburg   (10 hours, 40 minutes ago)
message to the duke and nobles of Marquessate Of Evanburg

Celtiberia

Evanburg

Gallaecia

Kydonia

Lusitania

Duchy Report for Margraviate Of Tower Fatmilak   (10 hours, 41 minutes ago)
message to the duke and nobles of Margraviate Of Tower Fatmilak

Tower Fatmilak

Protests against the realm and civil unrest are causing serious trouble. The peasants are seriously questioning our rule. On the plus side, it improved their morale to express themselves. 6 gold are reported missing from tax collector offices after the unrest.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 05:08:37 PM by NoblesseChevaleresque »

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Re: Regional protests over war
« Reply #1: October 25, 2012, 05:05:07 PM »
Diplomats can help you. Your people are afraid, they need some good old propaganda.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

NoblesseChevaleresque

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: October 25, 2012, 05:13:38 PM »
Diplomats can help you. Your people are afraid, they need some good old propaganda.

Well, unless they can bring an entire realm back from the brink of revolt and offset the daily massive drop in control, morale and loyalty, I don't seen how a few diplomats will be able to do anything against the war protest coding.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: October 25, 2012, 05:18:02 PM »
Well, unless they can bring an entire realm back from the brink of revolt and offset the daily massive drop in control, morale and loyalty, I don't seen how a few diplomats will be able to do anything against the war protest coding.

Diplomacy has consequences.

Good diplomats can fix regions. Priests can fix regions. Courtiers can fix regions. Thing is, they can't lead soldiers very well.

Also, good diplomats prevent wars from starting in the first place.

I know that, from my perspective, one of the intended reasons I wanted so many realms, even distant ones, to declare war on Aurvandil was to generate protests in Aurvandil. I didn't know they'd be so large so quickly... but this is a pretty well known feature of the game. If the whole continent declares war on you and marches armies at you, the game will try and get you to surrender.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: October 25, 2012, 05:19:52 PM »
Good diplomats can fix regions. Priests can fix regions. Courtiers can fix regions. Thing is, they can't lead soldiers very well.

Actually, courtiers are better at fixing regions. Diplomats are better at making regions not need fixing in the first place.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

NoblesseChevaleresque

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: October 25, 2012, 05:20:51 PM »
Diplomacy has consequences.

Also, good diplomats prevent wars from starting in the first place.

I know that, from my perspective, one of the intended reasons I wanted so many realms, even distant ones, to declare war on Aurvandil was to generate protests in Aurvandil. I didn't know they'd be so large so quickly... but this is a pretty well known feature of the game. If the whole continent declares war on you and marches armies at you, the game will try and get you to surrender.

Within a single day, the entirety of Aurvandil has suffered massive internal collapse on every front, we literally cannot do anything on a large enough scale to offset the damage in time. The coding has pretty much made it impossible for Aurvandil to actually fight a war, and over protests for wars declared on us, which is absolutely ridiculous.

Lorgan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: October 25, 2012, 05:22:34 PM »
If those protests indeed cumulate, that'd be a little extreme. However, this is probably coinciding with the secession of paisly which isn't that healthy for your regions either.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: October 25, 2012, 05:24:09 PM »
If those protests indeed cumulate, that'd be a little extreme. However, this is probably coinciding with the secession of paisly which isn't that healthy for your regions either.

Yep, secession causes chaos.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

NoblesseChevaleresque

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: October 25, 2012, 05:24:33 PM »

It isn't.

We've observed the effect war protests have had on our regions in the past from our wars with the 'Moot, which was devastating to our northern regions, now it's simply spread across the realm.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: October 25, 2012, 05:25:15 PM »
It isn't.

We've observed the effect war protests have had on our regions in the past from our wars with the 'Moot, which was devastating to our northern regions, now it's simply spread across the realm.

Then you should have known that this would happen, and prepared for it by using diplomats to make all your regions hate SA.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

NoblesseChevaleresque

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: October 25, 2012, 05:25:45 PM »
Then you should have known that this would happen, and prepared for it by using diplomats to make all your regions hate SA.

Well, I expected to suffer, but not to suffer entire collapse on every level.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: October 25, 2012, 05:26:50 PM »
Well, I expected to suffer, but not to suffer entire collapse on every level.

As Lorgan says, part of that is because of the effects of the secession compounding it.
Timothy Collett

NoblesseChevaleresque

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: October 25, 2012, 05:28:32 PM »
As Lorgan says, part of that is because of the effects of the secession compounding it.

It still remains that you can basically rogue an entire realm just through declaring war on them.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: October 25, 2012, 05:29:46 PM »
It still remains that you can basically rogue an entire realm just through declaring war on them.

Not usually.

I think that in this case, the problem is threefold:

1) Your regions were very fond of the SA realms.
2) All the realms declared war on you together.
3) The secession.
Timothy Collett

NoblesseChevaleresque

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: October 25, 2012, 05:31:36 PM »
Not usually.

I think that in this case, the problem is threefold:

1) Your regions were very fond of the SA realms.
2) All the realms declared war on you together.
3) The secession.

Well, our regions were not "fond" of S.A. they were if anything room temperature, they had no reason to be fond of S.A.

And your second point merely compounds mine that if you mass declare at one time, you can take down a realm just through using war protest coding.